U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 11:34 AM

3,758 posts, read 4,293,189 times

Advertisements

Nope - but we were moving out of state. My only remorse was about our neighbors - we had the best neighbors on the planet in our NJ house.

We have decent neighbors here in SC - all perfectly pleasant, but they aren't "family" like our original neighbors in NJ were.

For our current house, I think I'd miss our custom kitchen (which we renovated in 2012), but that's about it. As of now, the only reason we'll ever sell is in retirement to downsize the house but upsize the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:55 PM

630 posts, read 318,756 times
Hubby & I both had mixed feelings about selling. It was our first real house (we owned 2 condos before) and we'd lived in it 5 years, longer than any other residence we've had during our marriage. Due to some financial setbacks, we needed to pull the equity out of our house and couldn't get as much as we needed from a refi as we could from a sale. We had done quite a few things to the property over the years, including remodeling our entire downstairs thanks to a flood. I tolerated the house but didn't really love it for the first few years because we'd pulled all kinds of strings to get into it. It became the house I loved after the remodel. We also loved our neighbors, but we were on the outer area of town and the commute was hell on my hubby. I staged the house myself, cleaning & decluttering like a mad woman before putting it on the market, then REALLY came to love our house when it was in a constant state of readiness, picked up and organized for potential buyers. I felt a little bitter at that point about the potential of moving. I'd look around the house and tell my hubby, "You know, we have a really great house. We'd better get at least $10k over our full price or I'm gonna feel like we made a mistake." Our house sold within 2 days of listing to a really lovely couple who told us they were never going to move again and it was going to be the house they died in. I felt really good about selling it to them. Plus they offered $10k over our asking price, so I felt good about letting it go. Once we moved to our rental house, paid off a lot of bills, and looked back on the whole transaction, we were actually quite relieved. I was relieved to be out from under the projects looming over that house (dangerous tree removal, changing from lawn to desertscape in drought burdened Calif, teardown & removal of unused spa, 2 bathrooms that needed remodeling, property taxes, etc, I could go on). I didn't miss my remodeled kitchen, granite countertops & downstairs area as much as I thought I would, and I don't mind the white walls and tile counters of my rental as much either. It took us 4 weeks to completely unpack and hang every thing on walls, and we've met some wonderful new neighbors. In only 3 months of living here I feel more at home than I did in our other house. Now I no longer have seller's remorse and in a few years we'll move on to other housing adventures.

Last edited by FairMindedLL; 09-17-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 04:31 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,977,797 times
Seller's remorse? Oh gosh, no. I sold my house this summer and have not had the slightest remorse about that. I loved that house a lot, too! It was the first house I ever bought on my own after my divorce. I thought it was the nicest little home that anybody in the whole wide world ever had, and for me at the time it probably was. I lived in it for 13 years and paid it off during that time.

Then this summer I saw and impulsively bought my dream home. It is almost exactly like my previous home, except that it has a garage and is in a nicer neighborhood.

I moved out and put the old house on the market in July, and you know what? When all my things were out of it, and it was professionally cleaned and empty, it looked really bleak to me and generic and not at all like my home any more. I was even surprised that anyone wanted to buy such an empty and lifeless place. A young couple did and I was happy to exchange my keys for a big certified check at closing.

My new home, on the other hand, feels like home to me now in every possible way. I have no remorse about the actual sale of my old house, at all. I am blissfully relieved to be rid of it.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:49 AM

146 posts, read 170,299 times
No remorse after selling the home I had built 25 years ago. The kid is sad about it but she hasn't lived there in two years. It was a beautiful home. Loved it. But now I'm alone and don't need 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and 2 living/dining areas! I downsized from over 3000 sf to about 1300 sf and I am enjoying the reduced workload of living in a townhouse style condo. Occasionally, I miss my old kitchen.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:22 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,103,376 times
We just moved out of our house 11 days ago and handed over the keys at closing last Thursday. I was ready to move from the house but I truly loved the house itself but definitely not the location. The house was 4250 sq ft living and was a lot of work to keep up with for only 2 or 3 of us there most of the time and utilities were quite expensive. We had been there for 9 years and had finished the house ourselves so it had all of my own touches. We moved out of state and are now staying in a condo (vacation rental) till we are ready to move into our next home. I don't have remorse necessarily, but I did love the home. We never planned on staying there forever as it was too big but a year ago, we decided not to stay in Louisiana which I'm ecstatic about.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:05 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,913,183 times
I sold my condo to buy a SFH for a growing family. I felt bad when I sold it and do miss it, but that was easily fixed by looking at my bank account (I made a very good profit).

Old 09-22-2015, 08:10 AM

4,285 posts, read 8,057,622 times
I just felt sadness yesterday, not actually remorse, as I took everything off the walls and packed them. It was our choice to sell to go from two floors to all on one level.

I think sometimes you feel remorse or sadness because you have built many memories in the home.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:33 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,389,329 times
I think this is very common. I know when I was selling my house, I cleaned it up so good that I almost did not want to leave. It was staged and cleaned so nice that I almost feft like staying!! Listen its normal, just think of the reasons why you want to leave and then you will snap out of it. I still right now even thought I know this move was a huge upgrade , at times feel off. I mean its like I was used to my routine and that's about the extent of it. Its called routine driven. you used to it but that does not mean its better or cant be better.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,792 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Oh yeah, many times... (30 + properties)

One farm in particular was very meaningful to kids and family. Bought from the 'homesteaders' who cleared the land and planted all 100+ fruit trees and several acres of berries / grapes. 100+ yr old Barn was excellent 'playhouse' for livestock and kids. All this within 7 min of shopping, businesses, hospital, college, freeway.
Was a big mistake to sell, even tho county planning made it miserable to stay. (Apartments / mobile home parks, industrial, and hotels... were approved adjacent (very shotgun planning, very tough to farm with thousands of new neighbors)). Sewer, sidewalks, storm drainage, and other *'shared improvements' were killing us

*'shared improvements' = County requires builder to add these (builder gets a 'credit') all adjacent property owners PAY their share... pretty expensive if sewer shows up @ $1,000 / ft of frontage under a PAVED road. Farms have pretty expansive frontages!

Very painful to stay, very painful to move... it was an adorable home with a 80' canopy dia Cherry tree gracing the HUGE (1 acre) front lawn. It produced over a ton of cherries (harvested),,, birds got far more than that)). beautiful twisted trunk. All my fruit customers loved it!

Yup seller's remorse, still... 25+ yrs and many beautiful view homes later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate