U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 PM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times

Advertisements

We are trying to figure out what style our house is.

What is a "traditional" house? What do you think of as a farmhouse? And would you consider "Other Style - See Remarks" as a negative?

Would you even use the "style" option when searching for a house? I don't see it as an option on realtor.com. Our house doesn't fit anything on the drop-down list except "Other," which our agent doesn't like to use because she thinks it won't come up on searches. She has tried describing it as "Ranch with basement" (doesn't fit because people looking for a ranch want kitchen and master suite on the same level, which they aren't) and "Traditional" (which doesn't seem to fit such an unusual house).

I think it's "Other"; DH wants me to ask on city-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,197,499 times
Split-ranch I would guess if kitchen and mb aren't on the same level

However, I should think most buyers would be looking at local MLS listings and not realtor.com - which quite frankly suffers from lag time. Well-priced ready to sell houses in some markets will never reach there as they've gone under contract pdq.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,286,407 times
One of my homes in MA was called a split level ranch. When you came in the front door you went up six steps to the living room, dining room, 3 bedrooms, two bath level or down 6 steps down to the garage, bedroom, fireplaced family room, bath/laundry level.

The front of the bottom level was below ground and the land sloped down on the sides The back of the lower level had windows and a full length slider door out to a patio. The two car garage was also on the bottom level. Entered from the back of one side.

I would go with split ranch, split level, etc.

I would only call something a basement if the only entry to it was from the above level or a bulkhead door. If it has full length windows/doors to the outside then it is not a basement no matter what any realtor says. Stay away from that word..........LOL

Last edited by accufitgolf; 06-29-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Realtor.com seems to get the changes we make within a day or two. How do buyers look at the local listings without realtor.com or one of the others. (Can I name them here?)

I think split-level involves sort of a half-floor difference. In this case, the second floor is directly and completely above the first floor (walk-out).

Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,286,407 times
Sll

I say advertise it as a split level. Let the lookers decides if they like.

I know one couple that bought a home like that specifically and turned the bottom level into an in-law apartment.

Maybe make the comment that the design would easily accomodate an in-law apartment.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,197,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Realtor.com seems to get the changes we make within a day or two. How do buyers look at the local listings without realtor.com or one of the others. (Can I name them here?)

I think split-level involves sort of a half-floor difference. In this case, the second floor is directly and completely above the first floor (walk-out).

Very easy, they use a local realtors website which provides a public link to the MLS for the particular territory.

The only place this doesn't work is NYC which is an animal unto itself.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:10 AM

4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
To answer your question, I have never even noticed the "style" of homes when searching on realtor.com. The only search filter I use is "single family home" v. "condo or townhouse". It's pretty obvious what the style is by looking at the photo. I don't know what is so unusual about your house, but I'd probably go with "traditional" if she thinks people filter their searches based on style. (Which I don't think they do.)

Old 06-30-2012, 06:59 AM

26,844 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
To answer your question...
It's pretty obvious what the style is by looking at the photo.
which this thread should have had with the first post.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
which this thread should have had with the first post.
I was hoping for something beyond just my house. From the front, it looks like a ranch. But, as I said earlier, it wouldn't suit someone looking for a ranch because of how it's arranged on the inside.

Really, I'd like to know: what do people think of as "traditional"? What do you think of when you hear, "farmhouse"? And, is style important in a listing?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
To answer your question, I have never even noticed the "style" of homes when searching on realtor.com. The only search filter I use is "single family home" v. "condo or townhouse".
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate