Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times

Advertisements

the buyers agent Fiduciary responsibility is to their buyer. It is not to tell the seller how to sell their home. Sorry that bugs you. But it is true. It is only a professional courtesy.

Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 09:36 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
Are alot of Realtors lazy?

YES!!!!!!!

I have to deal with these people every day and it never ceases to amaze me how incompetent some of these agents out there are.

Not locking doors, leaving everything on, and not offering feedback are just tips of the iceburg. Incomplete and basically blank contract offers, lack of pre-qualing clients and saying they are, not providing approval letters or following any of the time tables set forth in the contract, not returning phone calls, not doing the research for their clients and winging it, not showing up to showings without a call, locking the key inside the house forgetting to put it back in the lock box (still don't know how that's even possible), being to lazy to even write out a quick offer asking me to present verbal unserious offers, not wiping their feet when entering homes, ego's abound, and revealing sensitive information about their clients they shouldn't be (I like this one though

The list goes on and on.
The few good agents I deal with though are a pleasure to work with. They are intelligent, know what they are doing, and most importantly have COMMON SENSE!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 AM

65 posts, read 182,322 times
Default Leaving Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
shelly is dead on regarding the lights. I try to leave a house as I found it. Occasionally a vacant home will have lights on. Those I turn off typically, but if it is occupied I leave them on.

As to the lack of cards---in my area leaving a card is a big NO NO! When I was a new agent I left my cards. I thought that's what agents do since that was the standard in the area I previously lived. One day I received a call from a very irrate agent about leaving my card. He had very little sympathy for the fact it was an innocent mistake, and I was new. (the irony here is that his wife has asked me several times to come work at their office---not a chance!) Perhaps your agent can put out a sign in sheet since this is important to you.

Doors unlocked is not acceptable, but it does occasionally happen. It might be possible that the lock is a little funny. I've left homes where I "hoped" the door was actually locked. I currently have a listing where one could very easily think the door was locked, but it's not. If I didn't know how the lock operated, I might leave it unlocked. It's one of those door handles with the lock built in. It automatically unlocks when it's opened. An agent that just opens it may not realize it's unlocked since they didn't physically open a lock.
Sorry to disagree with you....but leaving a card is very important. It lets the seller know that someone, in fact did show the house. It has happened to me and I'm SURE to others... that a realtor makes an appointment and DOES NOT SHOW OR CALL.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
At least in CA agents are suppose to leave their cards. Infact there is a special "holder" for them to leave their cards. My understanding is that this is a way to prove is was a legitimate real estate person showing your home. Also a way your real estate agent could contact them for the feedback. I could be wrong. Oh, and Gregtraub...I definately agree with the COMMON SENSE. Many do seem to lack that!! Not just in real estate.........

Old 09-28-2007, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 13,136 times
Default Lazy Realtors

I am a Realtor in SA and I have not shown any homes this week so I know it wasn't me but in our defense.... probably they don't turn out the lights because they figure there might be another showing and don't want to leave the house dark. We try to leave a house like we find it - except the locks. We should always make sure all doors are locked before we leave unless instructed otherwise. Some Realtors are lazy about giving feedback, I do agree with that. You might try giving the showing company that sets up the appointments special instruction to turn out the lights when leaving and to leave a card. I am sure they will comply.

Good luck and sorry for the problems.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:12 AM

65 posts, read 182,322 times
GregTraub....
Well spoken and I couldn't agree with you more!
Of course the best is when they show up with clients without calling. Happened to me three times with the same realtor. (got rid of him).
I think all the seller is asking (besides selling his/her home) is the same respect that they would expect. Treat the house they are showing the way they would their own...i.e. turn off lights, lock doors, wipe feet..etc...etc.
But with so many houses on the market, they treat people's houses like "used cars".
They forget that this is someone's HOME...not just a HOUSE.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:02 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,582 times
I am in Maryland ..and they never leave cards. They used to leave them when I sold my house a while back..Rrah, out of curiousity..why is it a no no where you are?

I am ok with the agent leaving my lights on...I have had a showing right after another showing..so I was glad they left my lights on. My electric company loves it too I do agree that you want to know whether or not anyone came through. It's hard to tell without any card or if all the lights are still on. Actually the more I think about it...maybe I don't want to know..because it would irritate me to no end if I got my house ready and they just didn't show up.

Shelly, I had the trex deck that was called cheap and ugly. Should I sue?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:49 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
Jenne, if they try to come back and make a lowball offer on your house... Get 'em!!! : )

Old 09-28-2007, 12:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Default I agree with you, BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrose749 View Post
Sorry to disagree with you....but leaving a card is very important. It lets the seller know that someone, in fact did show the house. It has happened to me and I'm SURE to others... that a realtor makes an appointment and DOES NOT SHOW OR CALL.

it is not generally acceptable or permitted in my area to leave a card. I'm not certain, but I think it's because agents fear their clients actually calling the showing agent. Believe it or not, all agents are not ethical. If someone else's client called me, I would politely explain that I really can't speak with them. Some less ethical agents might use it as an opportunity to gain a new client.

I generally try to leave a closet door opened or something similar so the sellers know I've been there.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 PM

333 posts, read 1,063,691 times
Back when we had showings...............

I came home several times to lights on allllllllllllll over the house...and twice to an unlocked door.

One time I came home and literally EVERY single light that could be turned on...was on...and left on. (The showing was the day before...I hadn't come home that night.)

The kicker? We have signs placed on both the garage door and the front door...to "Please make sure to turn off all lights when you leave!"

Guess it's all part of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate