U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,301 times

Advertisements

Hi, Lemonegg, I understand you and I support you.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Debsi; 07-10-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,147,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Rude would be using the toilets on display at Home Depot. ;-)
Using the toilet in a house I'm thinking of buying? If I had to go, I had to go.
Believe it or not, that has been done, and more than once.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,698,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
When you view a house, do you think it's okay to use the bathroom? I still can not believe someone used my bathroom on a showing I found that to be very rude and disrespectful. It you don't like the house then simply don't buy it. Don't show your displeasure by pissing on it I ask my agent to tell showing requests that the bathrooms are not to be used. It's ridiculous people actually need to be told that.
Isn't that being just a wee bit neurotic? I mean, do you deny your guests the right to use the bathroom?

Hey, if I've been viewing five-six houses in a row, I might need to go. And I would behave just the way I would in the home of any home where I've been invited.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,556,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
When you view a house, do you think it's okay to use the bathroom? I still can not believe someone used my bathroom on a showing I found that to be very rude and disrespectful. It you don't like the house then simply don't buy it. Don't show your displeasure by pissing on it I ask my agent to tell showing requests that the bathrooms are not to be used. It's ridiculous people actually need to be told that.
I think it's only rude if they made a mess. When you've gotta go you've gotta go

Old 07-10-2012, 03:17 PM

4,164 posts, read 20,048,882 times
Default Now maybe THIS is rude

Yesterday I had a company rep visit my home/office. After our meeting he asked to use the restroom. He was in there a long time. I just figured he had to "really go".
However, after he left, I discovered that the flush handle had broken when he tried to flush the toilet. What got me was he did not say one word as he left.
It wasn't a big deal, and handles break all the time. It was $6.00 and took about a minute and a half to fix it.

I just thought it was odd that he didn't say anything when he left. This wasn't our first meeting, we have done business for a few years and meet about once a year.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 PM

12 posts, read 35,752 times
As a side note, not every occupant of a house you are showing/viewing is the seller. If the occupant is a tenant, I am willing to bet they don't view you as a "welcomed guest". We are renting a home that our landlord put up for sale, and I am continually astounded at the rudeness of some of the people that come through here (both agents and potential buyers). With that said, if you behave as a courteous guest would behave in another person's residence, most people won't have an issue.

If you must use the toilets, and you are courteous enough to leave no evidence that you did so, it's one thing. Today, we arrived home from a showing to see the toilet seat had been left up, and several "sprinkles" where the person had apparently missed their mark (and also apparently did not feel compelled to wipe up afterwards). That's rather boorish, if you ask me. Of course, these lovely folks (whoever they are) also ignored our written request on the front door to close bedroom doors to keep the cats out, and also to not close the cats out of their litterbox. That makes the fifth time in a month that we've had an accident on the carpet to clean up.

It's common sense, people. I agree with the poster who said courtesy goes both ways.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,853,671 times
If buying, one would be a fool not to use (test) all the bathrooms available.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM

52,599 posts, read 51,732,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Isn't that being just a wee bit neurotic? I mean, do you deny your guests the right to use the bathroom?

Hey, if I've been viewing five-six houses in a row, I might need to go. And I would behave just the way I would in the home of any home where I've been invited.
The neurotic part is believing that some peed in their bathroom specifically to show displeasure because they didn't like the house. That rang the Paranoia Bell.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,051,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Of course! After all, how could one POSSIBLY use a toilet that someone else (the sellers) had used? They HAVE to be pulled out and replaced!

Thanks for the giggle.
I also replace all the flooring when I buy a house. After all, other people have walked on the floors. With their feet. EEEWWWW!!! However, I think that gutting the house and replacing walls that other people have touched is a bit much. I simply rent a haz-mat suit and spray down every surface with a mixture of chlorine and ammonia, heated to the boiling point.

Seriously, I think that the OP is a bit whacko if he believes that using a toilet is a sign of disrespect and evidence that the buyer didn't like the house. "Don't show your displeasure by pissing on it"? Um, if someone actually pissed on his house, I'd agree -- but he initially said that they did it in his toilet, which to me shows respect for the house (assuming all the other caveats that they left it clean. etc.).

For the record, the last time I was house hunting, I used a toilet in a seller's home one time. I was desperate. I left no evidence of my presence. I wiped my hands on my shirt after washing them, rather than use the towels. I really liked the house, and wanted to spend more time in it to get a better feeling for it, rather than rush out to find a public restroom somewhere. I had nothing but respect for the house. And, of course, I'd have no problem with potential buyers using my bathroom if I were selling, as long as they didn't leave a mess.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,374,320 times
I have never considered using the bathroom in a home that is occupied. I make sure I go before we leave, and when we stop for beverages, and at lunch. I think it would be very odd for a realtor to take a customer out for the whole day and not consider that bathroom breaks are a necessity. Assuming to use seller bathrooms is very poor form. I understand an emergency though or being in some remote location. The only time I used a seller's bathroom was in a vacant house. All services were still on, but the owner had emptied out and moved to another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate