U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-30-2018, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
32,099 posts, read 56,169,187 times
Reputation: 30793

Advertisements

Such a fun thread with foibles on display.
Started when it was a buyers' market in most areas, and resurrected as the sellers' markets seem to be over the crest.

People still gonna have to pee. Some are just better at it than others.
And, if you have a house on the market for any period of time, getting any traffic, it is probably going to happen.

Pro tip: If your house on the market is vacant, don't remove all the toilet paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2018, 07:12 AM
 
10,717 posts, read 6,875,939 times
Reputation: 11333
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
When you view a house, do you think it's okay to use the bathroom? I still can not believe someone used my bathroom on a showing I found that to be very rude and disrespectful. It you don't like the house then simply don't buy it. Don't show your displeasure by pissing on it I ask my agent to tell showing requests that the bathrooms are not to be used. It's ridiculous people actually need to be told that.
It's not a big deal, it's normal to flush toilets and run the water to make sure they work okay when looking at homes you may be interested in. If you don't want people to use the toilet wrap it in plastic wrap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 01:58 PM
 
988 posts, read 444,254 times
Reputation: 2492
This thread was incredibly bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,357 posts, read 9,205,811 times
Reputation: 5353
I was thinking of this discussion thread a lot this year. The market was incredibly hot in my area all year and I only did open houses at my listings (no showings). I could not believe the number of people who used the bathroom at my open houses. A lot of people even went #2 with tons of other people walking around the house. I was pretty surprised. Last year, I had someone who had explosive diahrrea in the master bathroom. Of course, I had to clean it up before my clients came home. The glamorous life of a real estate agent!

On a very serious note, I don't have a problem with people using the bathroom at my listings although I do think it's a bit rude when there are multiple bathrooms and someone uses the master bathroom. If you were a guest in my house, I would be happy to have you use the bathroom if you needed it. However, I wouldn't direct you to the master. Treat people you would want to be treated yourselves folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
32,099 posts, read 56,169,187 times
Reputation: 30793
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I was thinking of this discussion thread a lot this year. The market was incredibly hot in my area all year and I only did open houses at my listings (no showings). I could not believe the number of people who used the bathroom at my open houses. A lot of people even went #2 with tons of other people walking around the house. I was pretty surprised. Last year, I had someone who had explosive diahrrea in the master bathroom. Of course, I had to clean it up before my clients came home. The glamorous life of a real estate agent!

On a very serious note, I don't have a problem with people using the bathroom at my listings although I do think it's a bit rude when there are multiple bathrooms and someone uses the master bathroom. If you were a guest in my house, I would be happy to have you use the bathroom if you needed it. However, I wouldn't direct you to the master. Treat people you would want to be treated yourselves folks.
LMAO.
I feel your pain.
Well, not from experience, but through the Force...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 08:24 AM
 
2,276 posts, read 1,073,129 times
Reputation: 4111
This was a fun thread!

I've used the powder room on a lot of our home visits as long as it looked clean enough. I never had an agent say no. I would never leave a mess. The alternative would be to leave and come back which could take up to an hour in some of the neighborhoods where we were looking (finding a public bathroom to use)

When we were showing our house, I always gave the bathrooms a quick Clorox wipe upon return just in case if it looked like any of them had been used. Takes 5 minutes. Not a big deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,357 posts, read 9,205,811 times
Reputation: 5353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
LMAO.
I feel your pain.
Well, not from experience, but through the Force...

It was pretty horrible. There’s just no way to sugar coat that experience. Hopefully, it was the first and last time. I actually had a ton of people come in and use the bathroom that day for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
When we were showing our house, I always gave the bathrooms a quick Clorox wipe upon return just in case if it looked like any of them had been used. Takes 5 minutes. Not a big deal
My wife always insists we replace the toilet seats when we buy a new house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 02:27 PM
 
Location: NC
1,896 posts, read 945,592 times
Reputation: 4474
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I was thinking of this discussion thread a lot this year. The market was incredibly hot in my area all year and I only did open houses at my listings (no showings). I could not believe the number of people who used the bathroom at my open houses. A lot of people even went #2 with tons of other people walking around the house. I was pretty surprised. Last year, I had someone who had explosive diahrrea in the master bathroom. Of course, I had to clean it up before my clients came home. The glamorous life of a real estate agent!

On a very serious note, I don't have a problem with people using the bathroom at my listings although I do think it's a bit rude when there are multiple bathrooms and someone uses the master bathroom. If you were a guest in my house, I would be happy to have you use the bathroom if you needed it. However, I wouldn't direct you to the master. Treat people you would want to be treated yourselves folks.
We are looking at houses right now in more rural areas. We are driving 4+ hours to get to the first house and then it's 30-45 minutes between homes and we spend 30-60 minutes in each house (unless I just don't like it from the moment we walk in). I have had to use the bathrooms in several homes, however, I would never dream of using the master bath. There's something that's just wrong about that to me. I do carry a roll of toilet paper with me in the car, just in case the house is empty and tp-less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
4,141 posts, read 2,276,455 times
Reputation: 11530
One time I was with a client who used the bathroom and the toilet backed up. Not overflowing, but plugged. Nothing untoward about what the client did, I suspect it was clogged before. She was mortified, we both were, but it's just one of those things. Not anyone's fault. We looked, but could not find, a plunger, anywhere obvious in the house. I had to call the listing agent who was an adult about it and said her clients would handle it.

I understand staging a house and hiding things to make it look pretty, but there should be a plunger in every bathroom, easy to get to! Because when you do need it, you need it *now*.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-31-2018 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
4,141 posts, read 2,276,455 times
Reputation: 11530
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
We are looking at houses right now in more rural areas. We are driving 4+ hours to get to the first house and then it's 30-45 minutes between homes and we spend 30-60 minutes in each house (unless I just don't like it from the moment we walk in). I have had to use the bathrooms in several homes, however, I would never dream of using the master bath. There's something that's just wrong about that to me. I do carry a roll of toilet paper with me in the car, just in case the house is empty and tp-less.

We carry one too, in our Realtor Go-Box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top