U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 07:24 PM

6,157 posts, read 3,475,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
This was a fun thread!

I've used the powder room on a lot of our home visits as long as it looked clean enough. I never had an agent say no. I would never leave a mess. The alternative would be to leave and come back which could take up to an hour in some of the neighborhoods where we were looking (finding a public bathroom to use)

When we were showing our house, I always gave the bathrooms a quick Clorox wipe upon return just in case if it looked like any of them had been used. Takes 5 minutes. Not a big deal

I think it takes a lot of nerve to use the bathroom in an open house. The house is for you to look at, not use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 08:07 PM

1,759 posts, read 664,961 times
Have to admit, yes I've used the bathroom, always asked permission. Was hugely pregnant at both times so really had no choice when getting your bladder kick constantly. One was a totally empty house of a army guy that was deployed, the realtor gave us the key to look at ourselves. It was very out of the way neighborhood and just a few realtors in the area and he was booked up. Little did I know the water was turned off so couldn't flush. Made my husband go to a neighbors house to get a couple of buckets of water so I could flush. Oh boy was that embarrassing, but I had little choice. I did let the realtor know though.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:17 PM

4,141 posts, read 2,276,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think it takes a lot of nerve to use the bathroom in an open house. The house is for you to look at, not use.

At an open house I would especially expect the bathroom will be used! I think people need to get over this idea that their house is some show-room and realize that people will be human with human needs. People often have kids with them. If the bathrooms are working, I would expect them to be used.

I would however, expect people to take special care to leave them as clean as they found them, even if it means wiping up drips after washing hands.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:18 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,278,687 times
Next time: Tape the toilet and put cameras in the bathroom, with signs that the premises are being monitored.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:19 PM

1,409 posts, read 778,075 times
^^^ This. Common sense.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:20 PM

1,409 posts, read 778,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
At an open house I would especially expect the bathroom will be used! I think people need to get over this idea that their house is some show-room and realize that people will be human with human needs. People often have kids with them. If the bathrooms are working, I would expect them to be used.

I would however, expect people to take special care to leave them as clean as they found them, even if it means wiping up drips after washing hands.
This! Common sense and common courtesy.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
One time I was with a client who used the bathroom and the toilet backed up. Not overflowing, but plugged. Nothing untoward about what the client did, I suspect it was clogged before. She was mortified, we both were, but it's just one of those things. Not anyone's fault. We looked, but could not find, a plunger, anywhere obvious in the house. I had to call the listing agent who was an adult about it and said her clients would handle it.

I understand staging a house and hiding things to make it look pretty, but there should be a plunger in every bathroom, easy to get to! Because when you do need it, you need it *now*.
That is disgusting.

There is no excuse for that.

She should have gone before she left the house or just stay in her house.

Ugh.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I'm surprised that a seller would have an issue with a buyer using their bathroom. As others have said, it is pretty unusual that a buyer would go out and see only one house. Usually when I'm looking at houses with a buyer we look at them for several hours and it's inevitable that at some point someone will need to use a bathroom. I have my house for sale right now and I have no problem with potential buyers using the bathrooms. At least if they do that, they know they work!

People really are strange... if you have an issue with outsiders coming into your house and touching and using things while they are there, you probably shouldn't try and sell it.
Go to the bathroom before you leave your home.

If you need to go again, stop at a gas station or fast food restaurant.

Go AGAIN at lunch, if you need to.

Repeat gas station or fast food restaurant if you have to go again, and again.

Do not think of going in a stranger's home. It's rude.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:00 AM

4,141 posts, read 2,276,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Go to the bathroom before you leave your home.

If you need to go again, stop at a gas station or fast food restaurant.

Go AGAIN at lunch, if you need to.

Repeat gas station or fast food restaurant if you have to go again, and again.

Do not think of going in a stranger's home. It's rude.
Ah Thank you! Very good advice!

Not practical or realistic when dealing with real human beings...but very *good*.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 AM

5,183 posts, read 7,796,365 times
Maybe we need a new field in MLS:
Ok to use toilet? Y/N

I hate it when a buyer looks at me and says Is it OK to use the bathroom? during a showing, as though I have the power to give them permission. Sometimes couples split up and my only indication/warning is the sound of a toilet flush.

I understand the need but it just feels like a violation of privacy whether its logical or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate