U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:26 AM

4,529 posts, read 3,868,400 times

Advertisements

If I were in my house, I can't imagine telling someone visiting my house that they were not allowed to use the bathroom. You're basically telling them to get out of your house because of a basic human need to excrete bodily wastes. I can't even wrap my brain around that kind of thinking.

So . . . what difference does it make if I'm there or not? As a seller, I would expect that people are probably going to use the bathroom. This does not shock or disturb me. What DOES shock me is that there are people who are adamant that no one else can use their bathroom. Do they not have parties? Do they not invite people into their homes? Do they not invite people to dinner? I mean, WTH?

I laughed at the poster who said that people can "control their urges" and "plan ahead". Obviously, someone who has never had a UTI, or had prostate issues or even drank an extra glass of ice tea at lunch. Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 11:25 PM

6,357 posts, read 9,205,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I understand the need but it just feels like a violation of privacy whether itís logical or not.
I don't know about you however one of the first things I tell my sellers is that once the house is on the market they need to stop thinking about it as "their house." A lot of people are going to come through and they're going to be poking around. They'll look in your kitchen cabinets, your closets, your pantry, your medicine cabinet, and many other normally private places. They'll even look at your family photos if you leave them on the wall. So, remove items you don't want people to see and try not to think of this house as your exclusive private enclave anymore.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:14 AM

4,309 posts, read 2,276,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
This thread was incredibly bizarre.
Your use of the past tense regarding this topic is incredibly optimistic.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:53 AM

4,309 posts, read 2,276,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I have never considered using the bathroom in a home that is occupied. I make sure I go before we leave, and when we stop for beverages, and at lunch. I think it would be very odd for a realtor to take a customer out for the whole day and not consider that bathroom breaks are a necessity. Assuming to use seller bathrooms is very poor form. I understand an emergency though or being in some remote location. The only time I used a seller's bathroom was in a vacant house. All services were still on, but the owner had emptied out and moved to another state.
I have twice used a bathroom at sellers' houses, but only to urinate. In general, I don't think it is fair to sellers to stink up their facilities, especially if the house is being held open and other possible buyers are there to view the house, too.

I would never use a seller's master bedroom bathroom, only the hall/guest bathroom. To use the master bedroom toilet, in my opinion, is rude.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:00 PM

335 posts, read 663,873 times
Awesome that this thread is still being used!!

I still stand by my opinion. People should take care of their bathroom needs before viewing a house. When I first opened this thread the strong majority of the posters thought I was uptight, nuts, psycho or what have you. With the new set of postings it looks like 50% agree with me.

In any case, the house has been sold so all is good. And when it was my turn to view houses, I took my own advice and went before I went, er, to the house.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I don't know about you however one of the first things I tell my sellers is that once the house is on the market they need to stop thinking about it as "their house." A lot of people are going to come through and they're going to be poking around. They'll look in your kitchen cabinets, your closets, your pantry, your medicine cabinet, and many other normally private places. They'll even look at your family photos if you leave them on the wall. So, remove items you don't want people to see and try not to think of this house as your exclusive private enclave anymore.
Remove the toilets too.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco Ranch View Post
Some people can be very disrespectful, one day I was showing a home to my client and the first thing he immediately did was lock himself in the master bathroom for about 30 minutes. He had a very bad case of diarrhea and the toilet became clogged because of his incompetence. We had to leave the house in that condition and the worst thing was house was still being occupied by the seller. I had to lie to the listing agent when they asked if we were responsible for the ďmessĒ of human feces just to protect my clients interests.
This is disgusting.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:19 PM

132 posts, read 42,419 times
I don't see the problem. If you're looking at buying a house, you want to make sure everything is in working order and that includes the bathrooms. Wash your hands/use toilet/take a shower/etc.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:53 PM

3,933 posts, read 1,703,781 times
If I am looking at a house, and I need to go to the bathroom, I am going to go to the bathroom.

It's a toilet, people. It's designed for it. Personally I'm planning to p** in it, not drink out of it.

I swear, I think some of the people who post here need to be drafted and spend a while doing their business on toilets with no dividers or anything at all. Or using a slit latrine.

Have none of you ever gone camping? You know, a trowel. Dig hole, do business, cover up.

Man, if there's ever a worldwide economic collapse, I seriously question whether anyone under 30 except military veterans will survive in this country.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:01 PM

19,762 posts, read 13,019,367 times
When we were out for hours at a time, looking for a house we wanted to buy, our realtor told us it was OK to use a bathroom in a house we were looking at. I think OP is overreacting and I canít imagine why, unless a looker left a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate