U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 PM

23 posts, read 50,696 times

Advertisements

I'm with the OP and Nancy -- I mean, really -- how disgusting is it to let these...these...normal people...into MY house with their dirty bodies (and probably dirty thoughts too!). I mean, I posted PICTURES on the internet for them to see and the realtor can TALK about what the house is like -- do they REALLY have to actually come IN?! Were the pictures not enough!?

What is this country coming to when I can't sell my house WITHOUT normal people actually coming IN?

And what is this world coming to when people can't hold their bladders for 10 hours?!

Perhaps OP, if it's that much of a stress to you, you should stay put and forget about selling your house. Also, avoid traveling any farther than twenty minutes away from your house -- you wouldnt want to put your bare bum where OTHER bare bums have been

The fact that someone having to use your bathroom abhores you is a testament to your character, and it's not a flattering one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 PM

52,599 posts, read 51,732,778 times
What kind of a risk is the potential buyer taking by sitting their bare butt on the toilet in the house of someone they hardly know? How do they know what types of disease the homeowners carry? Or if they've cleaned that toilet seat anytime recently?

I suggest buyers who spend long days looking at open houses carry seat covers with them. You never know what kind of germ-infested people the sellers are.

Don't forget, you folks who think they are so special and cleaner than other mortals, these little critters live in YOUR eyelashes, every last one of you. You can't see their heads, which are pretty gross, in this picture, just their little tails sticking out of the eyelash pore. If you concentrate real hard, you might even feel them wiggling around in there...

OH WAIT, found a photo of a whole one:

Old 07-02-2012, 01:13 PM

1,585 posts, read 4,810,548 times
I get why you might not like it, but I just don't think its a big deal - nor would I ever forbid anyone from using our bathrooms and we are pretty Type A folks. Just do what we do after parties or having company. Part of our "party clean-up" is just giving the bathrooms a once over with clorox clean up and some wipes. Toilets and sinks and usually the floor around the toilets and within 5 minutes we are done and moving on....I guess I just don't think that much about it!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 PM

13,792 posts, read 31,937,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I wouldn't do it as a prospective buyer.
You would if it meant going in your pants or the bushes. If it is 100 outside and you have been driving around and drinking water for 6 hours. You'd use their bathroom. Buyers don't plan it that way, it just happens. Sometimes there just ins't any other place to go other than outside. I also guarantee that if you had small children, you would have them use the sellers bathroom. 95% of buyers that use sellers toilets, in my experience, are the children.

I highly doubt that sellers that don't want buyers to use their toilet are germaphobes, although that is possible. I would bet that most are just highly private people and find it personally invasive. It would be like going in their fridge and drinking their milk from their perspective. I just think it is something they have to get over while selling their home.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM

335 posts, read 663,873 times
This thread has taken a nosedive. I started it by stating my objections to a prospective buyer using my bathroom. I still feel this way and make no apology for it. Somehow people have interrupted this as me not wanting anyone in my bathroom, or have anyone in my house, I have a hang-ups about bathrooms in general, I have questionable moral character, on and on and on.

We clearly view this world differently. While I see the matter as taking personal responsibility for yourself and respecting other people's home; others see it as a sense of entitlement. I actually spent an entire day house hunting when I relocated. It never incur to me or to my realtor to use the bathroom in the houses we viewed. And we didn't. We used the public restroom at the restaurant we ate at.

When you place your house on the market, yes you want to make your house as inviting to the buyers as possible. But until someone buys it, its still my home, not a public space and its should be treated as such. Anyway we are not going to agree. Some of the comments were really eye opening to me in the way some people think. For those of you who think I am the one with the problem, that's fine. It seems most of you already make it a practice of using the bathrooms of the house you're viewing so whatever.

Thanks for the feedback

Old 07-02-2012, 03:59 PM

52,599 posts, read 51,732,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
This thread has taken a nosedive. I started it by stating my objections to a prospective buyer using my bathroom. I still feel this way and make no apology for it. Somehow people have interrupted this as me not wanting anyone in my bathroom, or have anyone in my house, I have a hang-ups about bathrooms in general, I have questionable moral character, on and on and on.

We clearly view this world differently. While I see the matter as taking personal responsibility for yourself and respecting other people's home; others see it as a sense of entitlement. I actually spent an entire day house hunting when I relocated. It never incur to me or to my realtor to use the bathroom in the houses we viewed. And we didn't. We used the public restroom at the restaurant we ate at.

When you place your house on the market, yes you want to make your house as inviting to the buyers as possible. But until someone buys it, its still my home, not a public space and its should be treated as such. Anyway we are not going to agree. Some of the comments were really eye opening to me in the way some people think. For those of you who think I am the one with the problem, that's fine. It seems most of you already make it a practice of using the bathrooms of the house you're viewing so whatever.

Thanks for the feedback
I doubt that, bolded. I think most people said they wouldn't mind if someone used their bathroom and/or thought it was an overreaction (you went so far as to jump to a REALLY WEIRD conclusion that someone was using your bathroom to show disrespect because they didn't like your house--did you really think that bizarro statement was NOT going to get a reaction? And is it possible you really think that way???), but I don't think anyone said they've actually done it. I never have, personally, but now I wonder if anyone actually has done so who participated in this thread.

'Fess up, open-house toilet users. And did you, after walking through an open house say to yourself, "Hmm, this house is not for me, so I think I'll pee here to show them"?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:05 PM

32,094 posts, read 56,169,187 times
When that 3 year old kid of my client's grabs the crotch of his britches and wails, "Mommy! I have to wee-wee right now!" lemme tell ya, someone's privy is gonna get violated before the urchin lurches into the backseat of my car.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM

23 posts, read 50,696 times
Quote:
You take it as a personal affront that someone that NEEDS to use your bathroom that YOU CHOSE to put on the market and show -- there's no interpretation there. It's simply questionable moral character and you have some odd bathroom hang-up.

Quote:
We clearly do -- I, along with 99.9% of all other normal, level-headed, compassionate people would have no issue in the 99.9% of people who would go in, use your facilities, and thank you for it. I HIGHLY doubt that the majority of potential buyers go in the bathroom and attempt to write their name on the ceiling -- this is where everyone finds you incredibly odd -- there's no issue with letting someone use your bathroom. It's compassionate, it's respectable, it's SANE.

Quote:
When you place your house on the market, yes you want to make your house as inviting to the buyers as possible. But until someone buys it, its still my home, not a public space and its should be treated as such. Anyway we are not going to agree. Some of the comments were really eye opening to me in the way some people think. For those of you who think I am the one with the problem, that's fine.
The moment you decide to sell and show your home, it becomes quasi-public. People have the right (through an agent) to be welcomed into THEIR POTENTIAL HOME and peruse. If nature calls and they require the use of the bathroom, then the DECENT thing to do, is allow them the use of the facilities WITHOUT judging them or thinking them disrespectful.

Quote:
It seems most of you already make it a practice of using the bathrooms of the house you're viewing so whatever
YOU started this thread about someone HAVING to use your bathroom and when people call you out for the inconsiderate fool you are, you jump to the conclusion that everyone else simply goes to the bathroom in every house they enter, like some act of 'marking their territory'. Dont get offended because you're inconsiderate and people call you out on it.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM

12 posts, read 32,780 times
Quote:
I still can not believe someone used my bathroom on a showing I found that to be very rude and disrespectful. Don't show your displeasure by pissing on it . .
I just went back and re-read your first post. Just out of curiousity, where do you do your business if you consider it rude and disrespectful using a toilet?

Is it legal to poop in your own backyard?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,437,051 times
I don't get how using someone's bathroom is rude unless you leave a mess. I've used bathrooms when viewing a house before. I don't go out of my way to do it, but with appointments lined up one after another in the 'burbs where you can't really just pop into a starbucks, I don't see the issue. I was careful to leave the bathroom exactly as I found it, including not using towels that looked decorative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate