Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

I have. We had days where we were spending several hours in a row looking at houses. Of course I made sure to clean up after myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Question for the OP. If you were home during a showing and the potential buyers ask if they could use the restroom, what would you say?

Do you let people working on your house use your bathroom?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
When we saw our house for the first time, we had my 7 year old son in tow and he had to go. Naturally the toilet plugged up and I had to spend 10 minutes clearing it.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
If it's only that the lid was up, they might very well have test-flushed and forgot to put the lid back down.

I, like others, am wondering what you would say if you were home and someone viewing your house asked to use the facilities.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:45 AM

12 posts, read 43,047 times
If I'm going to buy a house it's obvious I'm going to have a trial run in the most important room.

I did say run, not runs you noticed.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM

409 posts, read 872,956 times
Well okay then. Seems everyone thinks differently about things. If I was home and a viewer asked to use the bathroom, I would say yes. I wouldn't like it but I would certainly would not say no. My view is we are all adults here and the concept of using your own bathroom before you leave your house shouldn't be strange or new. Whether you have a "condition" or not.

And before anyone says it, yes family and friends are more than welcome to use my bathroom. The difference is they are invited into my house as social guests. People who come to view my house are not guest. They are here on a business matter which should take well less than an hour.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times

When you gotta go you gotta go. That's my attitude.

So long as they were neat (didn't pee all over the seat, "miss" when doing number 2 ... how in the world do women miss??!?!?!). If they splashed or missed or whatever, then I'd be PO'ed.

And the line about "well go in your own place before viewing" is incomplete. Many people tour a dozen homes and that takes up an afternoon. Can YOU hold it for four hours? Or eight? My bet is no. Most people I know see multiple homes in a day and it eats up most of the day, and at some point, they gotta go.

So have some respect. We're all human.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
My view is we are all adults here and the concept of using your own bathroom before you leave your house shouldn't be strange or new. Whether you have a "condition" or not.
The concept of people not going directly from their house to your house shouldn't be strange or new.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Well okay then. Seems everyone thinks differently about things. If I was home and a viewer asked to use the bathroom, I would say yes. I wouldn't like it but I would certainly would not say no. My view is we are all adults here and the concept of using your own bathroom before you leave your house shouldn't be strange or new. Whether you have a "condition" or not.

And before anyone says it, yes family and friends are more than welcome to use my bathroom. The difference is they are invited into my house as social guests. People who come to view my house are not guest. They are here on a business matter which should take well less than an hour.
I tell all my sellers to have clean bathrooms as people may use the facilities during a showing. People are often running from house to house and have kids in tow. I know there is no one that would tell a 5 year old, sorry...hold it until we can leave and find you a gas station. I also disagree that buyers aren't guests in your home. You are inviting them in to see if they like your home and want to buy it. Yes, it isn't a social engagement like having friends, but treating buyers like guests goes a long way toward reasonable negotiations. The flip side for me is I insist that my buyers treat sellers with respect. We don't play with toys, touch things, aren't late, etc. I'm happy to call a seller when we are on our way to their house to minimize time gone. I think it is very reasonable to assume that someone out for 4-5 hours house hunting may need to stop at someone's house at some point and use the bathroom, especially if we are hunting acreage properties. Not a lot of public places to stop and go. Asking a client to go in the bushes to avoid going in someone's house just doesn't seem right to me.

Oh and on my vacant listings, I make sure there is toilet paper on the holder.

Last edited by Silverfall; 06-30-2012 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: added a thought.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:

Sometimes people view houses all day. When I was house hunting there were days that I was out for 10 hours and honestly when you have to go, you have to go. I do not understand what the big deal is as long as they do not leave a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate