Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I don't get how using someone's bathroom is rude unless you leave a mess. I've used bathrooms when viewing a house before. I don't go out of my way to do it, but with appointments lined up one after another in the 'burbs where you can't really just pop into a starbucks, I don't see the issue. I was careful to leave the bathroom exactly as I found it, including not using towels that looked decorative.
I'll use the toilet but not the towels. The towels might be the nice ones only put out for showings, or they might be the ones the little kid used without a thorough washing first. (When my brother was junior high aged, he'd grab the nearest towel to wipe the sweat under his arms.) I don't want to mess up the nice ones or risk the used ones.

I dry my hands on my clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM

327 posts, read 774,446 times
There's a simple solution to all of this. Place a port-a-potty on your lawn for any potential buyers. And as far as test flushes go, don't most normal people replace all the toilets anyway once they move into a new home? No need to check to see if the toilet works if you're going to rip it out anyway.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
There's a simple solution to all of this. Place a port-a-potty on your lawn for any potential buyers. And as far as test flushes go, don't most normal people replace all the toilets anyway once they move into a new home? No need to check to see if the toilet works if you're going to rip it out anyway.

Why would most ppl replace a working toilet? I've never heard of that being the norm.

To stay on topic: I would avoid using the toilet when looking at a house. But if I had to go at some point during the course of an afternoon of looking, I would use it if I had to.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
don't most normal people replace all the toilets anyway once they move into a new home?
Er, no.
NORMAL people will **not* commonly replace toilets or any other (functional) attached fixture.
---

On the other theme of suggestions for the finicky seller:
Absolutely put a "please do not use" sign in your more private bathrooms.
But counter that with some simple graciousness...
direct people to the powder room your other guests would ordinarily use.
Paper towels and pump bottle of hand soap wouldn't go amiss either.

hth

Old 07-03-2012, 02:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
And as far as test flushes go, don't most normal people replace all the toilets anyway once they move into a new home?
If that were the case, I think I'd like to be in the toilet manufacturing business. Apparently there are about 350 Million toilets in the US. (Don't ask)

4 Million homes sold in the US last year and 8 million toilets (don't ask) so I guess it's possible that everyone else in the US replaces the average 2 toilets when they buy a house or it could be that the 8 million represents a 2.2% of the total which are replaced for breakage or functionality.

They can be cleaned you know. It's why most of them are made of porcelain.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
When you view a house, do you think it's okay to use the bathroom? I still can not believe someone used my bathroom on a showing I found that to be very rude and disrespectful. It you don't like the house then simply don't buy it. Don't show your displeasure by pissing on it I ask my agent to tell showing requests that the bathrooms are not to be used. It's ridiculous people actually need to be told that.
Oh my god, get over it. It's a bathroom.

If my realtor told me I was not allowed to use the bathroom in a house I was contemplating buying, I would turn around and walk out and go to the next one.

You're not just being unreasonable. You're being ridiculous.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM

265 posts, read 597,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Oh my god, get over it. It's a bathroom.

If my realtor told me I was not allowed to use the bathroom in a house I was contemplating buying, I would turn around and walk out and go to the next one.

You're not just being unreasonable. You're being ridiculous.

AMEN! Modern lockbox systems are trackable, so if a bathroom is a mess or a floor is muddy, simply ask your listing broker who was there that day (assuming they didn't leave a card).

Nature calls... and if you're seeing many houses, a pit stop isn't always practical. I am a Realtor and I have used bathrooms in a house. That said, I make sure that they're a clean when I leave as they were when I arrived.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:

Of course! After all, how could one POSSIBLY use a toilet that someone else (the sellers) had used? They HAVE to be pulled out and replaced!

Thanks for the giggle.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM

136 posts, read 328,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Of course! After all, how could one POSSIBLY use a toilet that someone else (the sellers) had used? They HAVE to be pulled out and replaced!

Thanks for the giggle.
LOL

This is precisely why I prefer to just go outdoors - on the side of the McDonalds building, by a tree at a rest stop, or in the sink at the office, because you just never know who's been using those toilets.

I've tried to explain my position to the officers as I'm being arrested, but they just don't seem to care about my plight.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Exactly. I don't like open houses because the agent can't watch them all. But if an agent is bring someone to the house I expect them to keep the viewer in check.
You're dreaming on this one. We have moved several times and been given free run of the house while the realtor stood at the door. We stayed in our house during showing since someone took a small weather radio from our house, we couldn't prove it but it was there before the property was shown and gone after they left. I was always shocked at how many things people leave out. We put things in the car truck and other hiding places even when we are present during the showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate