U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 PM

28,008 posts, read 46,489,312 times

Advertisements

Itís like playing with Legos ó only itís a real house.

When they found out their house was built too far from the curb, a well-heeled Hamptons husband and wife had it torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

Eric and Margaret Friedberg had returned from vacation expecting to see their new home near the water in ritzy Southampton Village taking shape.

Read more: Hamptons couple tears down house after construction error - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 AM

18,197 posts, read 16,555,799 times
That house, when it gets built, will have bad karma.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM

8,163 posts, read 11,930,350 times
Hey, ya gotta back a pool in the backyard.

Tear it down.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:18 PM

3,672 posts, read 8,015,191 times
They paid $2.5 Million for the property and hired someone to tear down the old house and custom build their dream house. The builders screwed up to the extent that they wouldn't be able to complete the property to their desires. I don't blame them for making them re-do it.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:27 PM

42,186 posts, read 31,961,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
They paid $2.5 Million for the property and hired someone to tear down the old house and custom build their dream house. The builders screwed up to the extent that they wouldn't be able to complete the property to their desires. I don't blame them for making them re-do it.
Absolutely

Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 AM

14,728 posts, read 18,851,602 times
I admit I'm ignorant about things like this...but wouldnt it have been more practical to just move the house to the right location?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM

23 posts, read 50,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I admit I'm ignorant about things like this...but wouldnt it have been more practical to just move the house to the right location?
They had a good sized foundation already poured (as well as the first floor framing entirely done, and the second floor framing started). They had to dig it up, fill in the land, re-dig and re-pour the foundation.

The article I read was pretty nice -- there's no hard feelings between the owner or the contractor -- it was a mistake and it's being rectified.

The neighbors on the other hand, are getting REALLY sick of all the construction

Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 AM

15,249 posts, read 23,882,469 times
I agree also. better to have it torn down now, then have it completed, move in, and not be happy after spending all that time and money.

I agree, tear it down and build it where I want it, after all they are paying for it.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM

15,249 posts, read 23,882,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs1001 View Post
They had a good sized foundation already poured (as well as the first floor framing entirely done, and the second floor framing started). They had to dig it up, fill in the land, re-dig and re-pour the foundation.

The article I read was pretty nice -- there's no hard feelings between the owner or the contractor -- it was a mistake and it's being rectified.

The neighbors on the other hand, are getting REALLY sick of all the construction

that's their tough luck, construction will not be for years, it is something they have to deal with.

besides once it is done it will improve the eighborhood.

really, some people cannot have any disturbances....

Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM

7,711 posts, read 10,153,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
If the house had been more done, on a typical crawl space and moved further, it actually might have been better to move it. But, since it was on a full basement, not being moved to an entirely different footprint (much easier to dig in the open than half under a house) and only the first floor worth of framing done ( not really stable enough to withstand the move) it would be cheaper to tear it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or