U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:51 PM

6,069 posts, read 12,680,955 times

Advertisements

I haven't had time to study the information yet, but there seems to be a lot of good information already posted on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 AM

6,069 posts, read 12,680,955 times
This link is for a paper providing several Scenarios & Examples of how the tax applies. As others in the thread have correctly reported, it is a tax on investment gains, and if your primary residence has a profit on sale of over $500,000 (married filing jointly) then that excess gain will be included with the other investment gains. You can download this 10-page paper and use it for reference.

http://www.ksefocus.com/billdatabase...172/8/1437.pdf

Below is a link to an NAR blog report on the tax. It includes a short video where they give a good example of the tax computation. It's well worth taking a few minutes to view.

The 3.8% Tax Is Not a Real Estate Transfer Tax

Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 AM

168 posts, read 351,297 times
That's great info, Bill. Thank you!! Even if we did have an AGI of 250k, I think I can safely say that our primary residence out here in the sticks of Gilbert will NOT make a profit of over 500k But it sounds to me like it's a bigger deal then some were making it out to be, if it's going to raise 210 billion and will pay for more then half of the new expenditures of Obamacare. And it wasn't even introduced or discussed till hours before final debate on the bill??? Lovely.

Thanks again!! I always appreciate your feedback.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM

629 posts, read 658,301 times
Actually after a successful November election we won't even need to worry about this.

How does one argue something is not a tax one day....then the next day argue it is at tax then after its upheld as tax then turn around and expect people to believe them when they now say it isn't a tax......guess fool me once really applies here...lol

Would this be in the same realm as "I voted against it before I voted for it"....lol

Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,496,652 times
Anyone remember "Read my lips...No new taxes" and what happened afterwards?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 PM

I do remember how all the cities and states put into place so called luxury taxes into place only to see a lot of money flee to more friendlier locations.

In the end it always means more tax hikes on everyone else...face it we all know that ultimately the middle class is the ones who end up having to foot the bill.

In this economy raising any taxes on anyone would just be silly.....in the words of Obama a short time ago...nothing has changed much since then...except maybe get a little worse.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 AM

2,393 posts, read 4,868,184 times
> How does one argue something is not a tax one day....then the next day argue it is at tax then after its upheld as tax then turn around and expect people to believe them when they now say it isn't a tax......

You need to read a bit more about how the legal system operates. In a lawsuit it is typical for a lawyer to bring forward all the plausible reasons to rule in his favor- even if some are mutually exclusive.

By the way, Justice Roberts, in the opinion, rules that ACA is not a tax in one place and that it is a tax in another.

We would be well advised to think about whether overall this law has desirable consequences (which I do believe), and we can afford it as a country (which, again, I believe we can).

Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 AM

We don't have a taxing problem in the country, we do have a huge spending problem that is growing bigger and more out of control each year.

You only need to look at California, Illinois or across the pond at Greece and France to name a few as to what higher taxes and out of control spending will do.

We just don't need to make matters worse for the housing before it can even recover.

I do believe we will hear from the voters in November as to exactly what they think of it.....can't come soon enough in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or