Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times

Advertisements

I will tell you the resale sounds like a better deal...better lot will help your resale value tremendously should you ever have to sell. And if it's comfortably in your price range while the other is not, that may help you ultimately decide...

New construction is not always what its cracked up to be. There are things that will need to be fixed in a newly constructed or spec home. At least with a resale someone has been there before you and has worked out most or all of the kinks (so to speak). I can't tell you how many times we had to get our builder back out here at our house when we first moved in. Yes it was under warranty (for one whole year) so we didn't have to pay, but it was a pain in the rear to get them out.

You may ask if the resale house comes with a warranty if that puts your mind at ease. I'm not sure what resale warranty will cover but they are inexpensive to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:00 AM

412 posts, read 1,028,520 times
You may be able to ask for some of the items such as appliances, etc. that you would need in the new home. Or maybe include an allowance in the price. I'm a new home fan and would always go that way if I could. But most time you can get more home for the money by purcahsing existing.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:14 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Here are my thoughts:
are either the resale or the new house the largest / best in their respective neighborhoods? I prefer smallest to mid-range, let the big boys pull you up instead of the small ones pull you down.
Is the new constructions neighborhood about built out or does it have a ways to go? hard to see how a neighborhood will mature, and right now builders are really having to check themselves. the neighborhood could change.
Which one is districted for the better shools? important to consider even if you don't have kids.
Do either neighborhood offer amenities? What condition are they in?

I am focusing on neighborhood and location issues right now. Answer those questions, and you will know where you want to live, and then you can look at the homes : )

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate