U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM

943 posts, read 1,499,220 times

Advertisements

Just type in CREEPY NEIGHBOR in a search box..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 PM

841 posts, read 1,598,995 times
Default I'd seriously think about it.

Where I live now (we rent) there is an unstable kid who must be on meds or something. From the first day we moved in, he is like the mayor of the complex. He's slow also (not sure what is wrong) but he is a magnet for other wackos to come around.

He's around the age of this kid you mentioned. He's had screaming episodes, cursing out people, flipping out. All sorts of behaviors that make me nervous.

He spends his days wandering around talking to people who don't want to talk to him. If not, he sits on the stoop and stares at everything going on. If you don't choose to talk to him (we don't) he takes it personally and becomes even more aggressive with staring. I can't even sit outside on my balcony because I feel uncomfortable.

I am sure a few of his so called friends are trouble. (druggies). He is probably not a bad person but because he is somewhat mentally limited and unable to realize these people are NOT his friends, he is in trouble all the time. The cops were at our building 2 times last week.

So, even if this kid is not bad, you are in for someone bothering you CONSTANTLY if you show the least interest in just being nice.

If you think he will get bored and leave you guys alone, maybe. But who knows who else will be coming around to take advantage of HIM?

As for the gun play--our loopy neighbor has a bb gun and the way he goes off sometimes I wonder why anyone would let him near anything, even just a bb gun.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
Just type in CREEPY NEIGHBOR in a search box..
Yep! And one of the things that pops up is this:

Creepy neighbor - help!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM

205 posts, read 566,140 times
the.root, what part of Columbus is this, anyway? Might have some impact on whether or not this is such a great place to live and if you are getting such a great deal.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:35 PM

22 posts, read 25,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
the.root, what part of Columbus is this, anyway? Might have some impact on whether or not this is such a great place to live and if you are getting such a great deal.
It's south of Canal Winchester in a heavily wooded area with a large lot. The inspector and everyone else that's looked at it, has said it's easily worth over 25k more then I'm paying for it. The bank dropped the price on it 30k and we jumped on it the next day, along with several other offers. My own research, neighboring sale prices, and history of that house confirms it's definitely a good deal. To be honest it's such a good deal and great condition, that I could buy it, add a bit onto the place, pay it off and resell it within 2 years and at least break even. So that's the other thing weighing on it, it's possible to have a minimum 2 year trial period (i'd probably get screwed if I can't stay there that long) and if I can't make it work bail out. However 2 years is a long time to put up with something that could be a daily, or even weekly annoyance.

I just have no "definite" way of knowing if this will be a problem or not. I mean really anywhere you move you risk having less-then-idea neighbors, even if you meet with them previously - it's quite simple to disguise the truth in a brief interview or not let you meet the gang-banging crack smoking (insert your worse stereotype here) son. Or wait until the sweet old neighbors next door die next year and donate their house to the city to be used as a homeless shelter (or whomever you think would be a negative neighbor). It's just here I had the fortune of learning for sure about the neighboring kid prior to moving in, so at the least I can say the probability of having reoccurring issues here due to a less-than-idea neighbor is higher then simply not-knowing the possibilities in the other scenarios.

I can say in every house I've lived in since I was a kid, there's been neighbors I didn't like or neighbors that caused trouble with us or others. It seems inevitable. This is just an interesting twist to what I usually find. If you don't include the neighbors in WV that tried to kill me by sabotaging my car - this is the first "crazy" (sorry to use this word to sum his psychological challenges) type neighbor I've encountered. However his condition could be manageable.

I'm still undecided. Just trying to lay down my thoughts if this thread ever comes across by someone else in my situation.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Why is the house so cheap? Must be a reason.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 PM

6,848 posts, read 9,815,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Why is the house so cheap? Must be a reason.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Exactly... and who would buy it from this OP... under the same circumstances two years down the road... at any price?

To the OP, I've never seen anyone try to rationalize a bad decision more than you are... walk!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
To the OP, I've never seen anyone try to rationalize a bad decision more than you are... walk!
Pretty much my thoughts. Its not like the rural outskirts of Columbus are in high demand. If the house is "easily" worth $25k more the bank wouldn't have had to drop it $30k.

Have you filled your wife in on all this drama? What's her thoughts?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 AM

22 posts, read 25,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
Pretty much my thoughts. Its not like the rural outskirts of Columbus are in high demand. If the house is "easily" worth $25k more the bank wouldn't have had to drop it $30k.

Have you filled your wife in on all this drama? What's her thoughts?
My wife was with me when we went to talk to the neighbors. It's funny the responses I'm getting from this thread are the exact opposite of those I'm getting from people in real life.

In a couple days the house had over half a dozen offers, so I would say that's "high demand" or "someone else willing to buy it from the OP"..

I don't know have a valid reason it's so cheap, perhaps it was knocked down by some computerized person at a bank who didn't have enough information to put a more accurate price on it, or maybe sometimes people just find good deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
I'm not trying to rationalize a bad decision. "Bad decision" isn't even an accurate descriptor, it's an opinion. If you want to sum up my dilemma as I'm trying to determine if this decision would be "bad" or not, then fine, but then you would conclude I'm trying to make a decision, attempting to determine if it's "bad" or not. I'm really just trying to offer a fair balance to this debate. Sadly this burden has fallen on me since it seems the majority of those on this forum, or those willing to respond who read this thread, seem to be quite favored to walking away without any additional thought. Considering you cannot have a logical decision process without taking into account all sides, all options, ways out, etc - i am providing these thoughts in case someone else reading through this finds it useful.

Sorry for trying to be logical and fair in a very large decision that will effect my families life for a long time to come

Last edited by the.root; 07-12-2012 at 08:22 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM

You are correct to make a logical and fair decision. No one is telling you to walk away without additional thought, people are responding to your request for opinions based upon the information provided and their personal experience.

We've lived next to Dennis the Menace and his little sister. We never wanted to go outside when they were outside. My wife dreaded pulling in the driveway every night and tried to duck into the house as quick as we could. We kept our front blinds closed more often than not and once we had kids of our own they were harassed and endangered by these two brats. We would have paid way more than $2k to have walked away had we known but the lady who sold the house didn't warn us of course until after we had closed (she literally told us to "keep the gate closed and your doors locked because the kids next door are monsters" as she handed us the keys).

Anyone who has been in a situation like that would have loved to have the ability to have found this out before the purchase was final. If it was just you, I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal but you have a young child that you are going to want to be able to let play outside. Does your wife work? Because if she stays at home and has to deal with crap all day long the brilliance of the house and whatever bargain you score is going to wear off real quick. But if she was with you when you spoke with the neighbors and isn't concerned about the possibility of a daily nuisance or just not feeling great about letting her child out to play then you guys have clearly weighed your options and are confident moving forward with the house.

Best of luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate