U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 PM

978 posts, read 1,861,913 times

Advertisements

I need some random opinions. I'm 26 and and work as a teacher in a rural area. I've narrowed my choices to two properties: one that sits close to my place of work in a semi-rural area in PA, and another that's in the middle of Morgantown, WV(WVU). Both houses are of nearly identical size...there's a much larger yard/more work to do with the rural home in PA, where of course the other home in Morgantown is easier to maintain and less time consuming. Both are aesthetically appealing and "fun" to me.

The first property that's in a rural location is about 25 minutes to Morgantown itself, 5 minutes to work, and 7 minutes from a town of about 10,000 people that I really don't care for. The second property in Morgantown is a straight shot on a new toll road, and about 20 minutes from where I work in PA. The difference in list price is $40k, with the Morgantown home being more expensive...but also poised to appreciate quickly since the area is booming and has been for a while now, housing is in short supply. The rural home will probably sit evenly for a long time with minimal appreciation.

...I can think of reasons to go with both and can afford either one, but my largest hangup is: 1) at my age, I'm very bored living in a rural setting...but in a few short years, would I be over it? Also, home appreciation is a given if I spend more and go with the home in Morgantown. I can't exactly count on that with the rural home in PA.

Generally speaking...what would you do as a 26 year old first time home buyer? Which area would you want to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:46 PM

26,853 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
...at my age, I'm very bored living in a rural setting
Discussion over.

That still doesn't mean that you should BUY in the other location.
You can rent there just as easily.

If/when your life changes enough to NEED a house...
well, cross that bridge then.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
I'd want to live in a town where I could meet other people, etc.

If someday you get over being bored in a rural area, then you can always move if you really want to.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:59 PM

978 posts, read 1,861,913 times
That's kind of where I'm stuck at...I look at it as probably wanting to be in the more rural area in the long run, but for now I'd be happier in a more lively setting. Renting in Morgantown is out of the question...it'd cost more than my mortgage after a down payment. It's terribly expensive. If anything, I could probably find a roommate and use that to pay my mortgage for me if I bought in Morgantown.

I'm presently living in my grandparent's rental property that's found in the same area of SWPA. I find myself having to drive just about everywhere for everything and social life is a bit tough. It's really hard to meet people and a bit of an older community overall. It'd be very nice if I had a family and was settled in, but I'm not there yet.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 PM

26,853 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I could probably find a roommate and use that to pay...
To pay rent too. At least for a year or two.

Rent in the college town, develop a social life, try to meet someone there
(ideally who would want that quieter rural life)... THEN go find that rural place together.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,289,034 times
At 26 and single, I would rather have coeds puking in the gutter in front of my house then hay trucks sometimes passing by especially if only a 20 minutes to work difference.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 AM

2,393 posts, read 4,860,508 times
Check up on your tax burden- all of them. Property, state income, etc. It shouldn't be your only consideration but it also shouldn't be an unpleasant surprise.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:32 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,744,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
At 26 and single, I would rather have coeds puking in the gutter in front of my house then hay trucks sometimes passing by especially if only a 20 minutes to work difference.
At 26 and single, I would have much preferred the rural location!! Maybe that's because I teach at a college and as much as I love my work and (most of) my students, the idea of living near them is ... ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate