U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM

3,404 posts, read 4,142,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Actually, in Idaho, an agent can get in trouble if they DO disclose a stigmatized property without seller's permission. The seller has the right to refuse to answer, if asked directly, and the agent not only doesn't have the obligation to disclose, but in fact, does not have the right to do so without permission.

From what I could find on Google, Colorado is not a state where a psychologically impacted or stigmatized property must be disclosed.

So to the OP, if it is important to you, do the research yourself. I don't know where you can get police reports. They might be online, or you may have to go to the public records office and see what they have. If you can't get anywhere either of those places, just call the police non-emergency number and ask. You also might just try googling the address, or searching for the street name on the local newspaper's website.

But ask yourself first whether it really matters to you. The house didn't cause the death, so it doesn't matter in that sense. But if it would bother you knowing it happened, then move on to the next house on the list.

I agree with others that the smell of death and the smell of cigarette smoke are distinctly different. If you are smelling smoke, and they were smokers, your answer is obvious. Getting rid of the smell of smoke can be fairly extensive, if it was a flip, I'm assuming they already replaced the carpet (and pad) and repainted, but one possible source of smell is the ductwork if the house has central air.
We have renovated fix ups that were owned by smokers. We get rid of the carpet, scrub down the walls and repaint. That has done wonders in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 PM

659 posts, read 769,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
We have renovated fix ups that were owned by smokers. We get rid of the carpet, scrub down the walls and repaint. That has done wonders in my experience.

I was just at the property tody and still reeked of smoke. The put in new wood floors, new paint, new carpet, cleaned out the furnce, scrubbed the brick etc....

Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 PM

115 posts, read 278,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I read about that house, I think that happened over a year ago. Pretty sure she was murdered, how they came up with suicide is crazy.
I just looked it up. Someone got paid off.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Yes but this is Denver, low inventory and I am looking only in a specific area code. The house is beautiful and big. If he died of heart failure I could handle that. My grandmother and mom died in my former house, I was not freaked out. A suicide is another thing, which doesnt seem to be the way he passed
Then why are you so worried about this house? Buy it if you like it and can afford it; don't buy it if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or