Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In Texas deaths that are caused by the house (fell down the stairs, faulty heater, things of that nature) must be disclosed. Deaths for other reasons are not required to be disclosed.

I seriously doubt that the death in the house in the period of time that the parents were out to dinner would cause an odor. But you can always have the house smudged (spiritually cleansed) if it would make you feel better.

Right, I thought of that too that he could not have been there that long if they went out to dinner. Last night the family agreed to talk to me, so I am hoping I will find out more about the house today from the family and not the flippers. But the info I got so far is that the son died of heart failure in his sleep. So I am really confused as to who is telling the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:30 PM

198 posts, read 484,333 times
There are plenty of houses in the world, I'd move on. You know it's going to freak you out the first night you are home alone and you hear the house creak.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
A previous owner died in the house I'm living in and it doesn't freak me out. Natural deaths at home happen every day and they are normal. I wouldn't worry about it. You would have to buy a brand new house in order to be certain it was one without a previous death.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBOSCH View Post
There are plenty of houses in the world, I'd move on. You know it's going to freak you out the first night you are home alone and you hear the house creak.
Yes but this is Denver, low inventory and I am looking only in a specific area code. The house is beautiful and big. If he died of heart failure I could handle that. My grandmother and mom died in my former house, I was not freaked out. A suicide is another thing, which doesnt seem to be the way he passed

Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
There is a house in San Diego (Coronado) that had the unfortunate recent history of a young child dying in a freak accident falling from an upstairs landing and then the suicide of the adult (owner's girlfriend) supervising the child at the time a couple of days later- for $15+ million! So apparently one would think there are enough folks out there not freaked out by that kind of history.

Of course it just came on the market so time will tell.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I have made an offer in the past on a house where the owner committed suicide. Didn't bother us at all. And there really wasn't much of a discount because of it.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
There is a house in San Diego (Coronado) that had the unfortunate recent history of a young child dying in a freak accident falling from an upstairs landing and then the suicide of the adult (owner's girlfriend) supervising the child at the time a couple of days later- for $15+ million! So apparently one would think there are enough folks out there not freaked out by that kind of history.

Of course it just came on the market so time will tell.

I read about that house, I think that happened over a year ago. Pretty sure she was murdered, how they came up with suicide is crazy.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Realtors are obligated to disclose these sorts of things officially in their listings. They can get into a lot of trouble if they knew about a suicide, death, murder, pot house in the property they are selling and not disclosing such things to perspective buyers.
No one is obligated to disclose deaths, suicide or a pot house in most states, my own included. Several state superior courts have ruled that suicide/deaths do not void a sale.

California is one known exception, whereby a homicide, suicide or accidental dealth within 3 years must be disclosed. Natural death need not be disclosed. Dicsloures are separate from MLS ads.

In fact, some states do not require sellers to make any disclosures, including known material defects.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:19 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Actually, in Idaho, an agent can get in trouble if they DO disclose a stigmatized property without seller's permission. The seller has the right to refuse to answer, if asked directly, and the agent not only doesn't have the obligation to disclose, but in fact, does not have the right to do so without permission.

From what I could find on Google, Colorado is not a state where a psychologically impacted or stigmatized property must be disclosed.

So to the OP, if it is important to you, do the research yourself. I don't know where you can get police reports. They might be online, or you may have to go to the public records office and see what they have. If you can't get anywhere either of those places, just call the police non-emergency number and ask. You also might just try googling the address, or searching for the street name on the local newspaper's website.

But ask yourself first whether it really matters to you. The house didn't cause the death, so it doesn't matter in that sense. But if it would bother you knowing it happened, then move on to the next house on the list.

I agree with others that the smell of death and the smell of cigarette smoke are distinctly different. If you are smelling smoke, and they were smokers, your answer is obvious. Getting rid of the smell of smoke can be fairly extensive, if it was a flip, I'm assuming they already replaced the carpet (and pad) and repainted, but one possible source of smell is the ductwork if the house has central air.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
a show biz flipper, Jeff Lewis, hires a person to cleanse evil spirits from the houses he sells. Here's a link about how its done.
How to Spiritually Cleanse Your Home - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Why do that when somebody could possibly get Bob Larson to exorcise a home, if the price is right? He usually "exorcises" demons from people. Hell, I bet it would be pretty entertaining to watch him fiddle around and scream relentlessly, asking "who's chief?" and all that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate