U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,355,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post

And Manderly, what exactly do you disagree with? Do you have a problem with people getting paid for providing services?

Every time I hear about the public perception and commissions it's always based upon consumers not wanting to pay for services that they receive. Agents are gready for simply wanting to be paid for their work.
So exactly how much do you think it would be fair to be paid if you spend 30 minutes showing a buyer a house and the rest of the buyer's needs are handled by another agent?

What would you do if it came down to just getting your normal selling commission or losing a buyer? Would you let the buyer walk?

And it seems you failed to answer a very important question. Do you in fact explain to that buyer who you showed the house that if they go to another agent you will go after some of that commission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 AM

936 posts, read 1,751,601 times
If I am the procurring cause then I expect to paid whatever the coop commission is. Pretty simple actually. Any buyer who has a problem with that needs to work with an agent who would like to work with them for free. I've never met a buyer who was honest about wanting to see a house, yet had disclosed their intentions to go with another agent after seeing the house. Honesty is all that's needed.

You seem to want to create a situation where the buyer is encouraged to take advantage of listing agents then go to their 'own' buyer's agent to follow through. Why do you encourage that sort of situation. Far too many buyers and sellers play games with real estate agents under the expecatation that the agent has to do business their (buyer/seller) way. Even you are doing that with coming up with scenarios where the buyer uses the agents time with no intentions of following through with that agent.

It's not up to anyone to tell me how to run my business. And it's not up to any agent to force their way of business onto a buyer or seller. All that's needed is honesty upfront where no one tries to get something for free unless the other party agrees to it. Is that not reasonable?

Your question about 'losing' a buyer or losing the commission is a red herring. It wouldn't happen with me. If I am owed a commission then I'll do what's necesary to collect it. In our state, all offers need to be presented. So I would certainly present an offer from a buyer who I am the procurring cause while at the same time enforcing my rights to a commission. My seller would like to know that the buyer can't trusted however and that would likely impact the transaction.

I ask every consumer if they are already working with an agent. If they are then I tell them to have their agent start the process by showing the house. That's how it is suppose to work. Interestingly, if they are working with another agent and are calling me directly then their agent isn't doing his or her job. If they don't have a listing agreement with their agent then they are fair game. If they'd like to engage my services then they'll sign a buyer's listing agreement.

Contrary to what you might think, my clients are satisfied working with me and no one is forced into any sort of relationship. I only ask the same of buyers who are out to deceive me to try to waste my time without paying for it.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 AM

1,518 posts, read 1,654,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So exactly how much do you think it would be fair to be paid if you spend 30 minutes showing a buyer a house and the rest of the buyer's needs are handled by another agent?
The full commission considering that the listing agent through their efforts of advertising, brought a buyer to the seller. That's exactly what they are getting paid for. Doesn't matter how long they took to show the property or anything else. I think that is where a lot of people don't get it. The seller is paying the agent/brokerage for a service. To bring a qualified buyer. Through their advertising, they did that and should be compensated. If you want to bring your own agent after the fact, then the buyer should pay their buyer's agent out of their own pocket.

Also don't give me that crap about how the buyer really pays for everything cause I'm not biting on that troll bait.

Last edited by behindthescreen; 07-19-2012 at 12:28 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 AM

26,901 posts, read 58,020,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
The full commission considering that the listing agent through their efforts of advertising, brought a buyer to the seller. That's exactly what they are getting paid for. Doesn't matter how long they took to show the property or anything else. I think that is where a lot of people don't get it.
Indeed they don't. The LISTNG agent that is. What hubris you have!

The only thing you've done to effect action by some **prospetive** buyer out there is to have
placed the yard sign they saw when driving around or to cross post the MLS file to redfin or trulia
where they saw that listing among the 20 (or 100?) other prospective addresses they may have
some but as yet undetermined degree of interest in.

Quote:
The seller is paying the agent/brokerage for a service.
Exactly so. I suggest you focus on actually serving your clients interests better.

Do a good job when showing, don't antagonize or intimidate prospects and most important
as regards the points being made in this tread... don't *expect* more than half the commission.

When unrepresented lookers hightail it out of your showings into the arm of some other agent...
it might just be because of what they think of YOU.

hth

Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 AM

31,650 posts, read 55,416,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm right here. I will absolutely show my listings to another agent's client. I ask upfront if they have an agent. If their agent is unavailable, I'll show my listing. If they are unagented as of that moment, I will show my listing. If they have no intention of using my company for buyer representation, I'll show my listing. If they hire an agent after I show it to them, I'm happy to present that offer with their buyer agent to my client.

People don't hire agents to be petty and play games. They hire us to provide a service.
Observe and take notes, people:

Wisdom and focus at work here.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
The full commission considering that the listing agent through their efforts of advertising, brought a buyer to the seller.
Using that logic a buyer's agent would never get paid since the listing agent through their efforts of advertising brought a buyer to the seller.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,305,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
In my state only real estate agents can hold an open house because it is considered real estate activity. All a "person from the office" could do would be to stand there and hand out flyers. They wouldn't be allowed to discuss anything about the house not written as a fact on the flyer.

Having other agents hold open houses is very normal. The issue at play is that the real estate agent didn't explain well that it was another agent holding the open house.

A real estate agent not explaining something that ends up costing someone more down the road....golly...unheard of....LOL

Personally, I would call it a typical setup.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 AM

1,518 posts, read 1,654,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Using that logic a buyer's agent would never get paid since the listing agent through their efforts of advertising brought a buyer to the seller.
The reason there is a commission offered to the buyer's agent is because a lot of times other agents are working with one or a pool of qualified buyer leads. A buyer's agent will look for properties in the agents MLS and see what is on the market. They buyer could also be looking on the agent's or broker's website and call to see about the properties availability. The agent will look up the details and see how much commission is being offered. It is not always 3%, 2.5% or 50/50. Sometimes the seller isn't offering a commission at all and the buyer will have to pay their agent a fee.

That is totally different than a listing agent bringing forth an unrepresented buyer through their advertising, showing the property and THEN the buyer going and getting an agent after the fact. Which is what happened to the OP.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 AM

13,751 posts, read 31,608,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post

It's not up to anyone to tell me how to run my business. And it's not up to any agent to force their way of business onto a buyer or seller. All that's needed is honesty upfront where no one tries to get something for free unless the other party agrees to it. Is that not reasonable?
Do you or do you not EXPLAIN to a consumer before you show them your listing that if they don't use you, you will be offering a reduced commission to the buyer agent? Simple question.

If you want honesty you have to be honest. So are you totally honest and upfront with consumers on this issue? If not, you sound like the person trying to get something for free unless the other party agrees to it.

I'd love MAM to weigh in on Illinois agency. I can't believe that a consumer that has an agent show them their own listing can be forced into dual agency without consent. That can't be true.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The reason there is a commission offered to the buyer's agent is because a lot of times other agents are working with one or a pool of qualified buyer leads. A buyer's agent will look for properties in the agents MLS and see what is on the market. They buyer could also be looking on the agent's or broker's website and call to see about the properties availability. The agent will look up the details and see how much commission is being offered. It is not always 3%, 2.5% or 50/50. Sometimes the seller isn't offering a commission at all and the buyer will have to pay their agent a fee.

That is totally different than a listing agent bringing forth an unrepresented buyer through their advertising, showing the property and THEN the buyer going and getting an agent after the fact. Which is what happened to the OP.
Example 1: Buyer sees a house listed on realtor.com. Calls a buyer's agent and says show me that house. They have zero discussion about commission or anything else. Nothing is signed.
Example 2: Buyer sees a house listed on realtor.com. Calls the listing agent and says show me that house.

Now let's refer to your own words.

The full commission considering that the listing agent through their efforts of advertising, brought a buyer to the seller.

Seems like the seller's agent had everything to do with brining in both buyers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate