Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 AM

89 posts, read 291,356 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved for his job so we listed the house and had to move a month later. It is still on the market (been for 50 days now). It really stinks being out of state and not knowing if there are any showings going on or anything so I emailed our realtor yesterday for an update (we've been moved 2 weeks now).

He says " It's been quiet to say the least, have you thought about a price reduction?"

I feel like we should wait a little longer, but what's average for length on market before the first reduction? Our market is town of 20,000 in Iowa. There are houses like ours listed from 72,000-89,000 and we are at 82,900 (but we ARE in one of the better neighborhoods in town). If we were still living there we wouldn't worry about lowering the price yet, but having to pay mortgage and rent is kind of a pain in the ass!

Also, can I suggest to him that he have an open house? Or is that something that the realtor decides needs to be done and advertises it themselves? He has not mentioned it once. My husband is worried because this realtor has many, many more expensive properties and feels he is not going to try that hard to sell ours, but I think a realtor would want any sale they could get right?!

Thanks for any advice you may have!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 AM

*SELLER* not buyer, oops

Old 07-18-2012, 07:15 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1628 View Post
My husband and I moved for his job so we listed the house and had to move a month later.
It is still on the market (been for 50 days now)... Our market is town of 20,000 in Iowa.
There are houses like ours listed from 72,000-89,000 and we are at 82,900.
Sellers aren't served by an open house which are about the agent advertising themselves.

Serious buyers already have agents and still look online for possibles they can afford.
The serious buyers in your area have seen your house.

Having a home at the upper end of the price range in a limited market is your problem.
You can't fix the market size... but you CAN lower the price.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 AM

That does make sense as we had 10 showings in the first 30 days (which we thought seemed good). Thank you for your input MrRational.

So agents decide to do an open house then? I just wish I knew what was "normal" feel like we don't want to lower to soon; but then we can't complain about there being no offers either!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
That does make sense as we had 10 showings in the first 30 days (which we thought seemed good). Thank you for your input MrRational.

So agents decide to do an open house then? I just wish I knew what was "normal" feel like we don't want to lower to soon; but then we can't complain about there being no offers either!
"Real estate is local" is something we are very fond of saying in this business because it always rings true. A lot of what's considered "normal" is going to change from location-to-location. What I would offer though is if you're unhappy with the level of communication your agent is offering you then you should say something. I have a listing right now where the owner has moved out of town and I email him at a minimum once every few days. Why? He asked me to communicate regularly with him. If he hadn't asked and there were no showings, I would still email at least once a week.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
we had 10 showings in the first 30 days
In a town of 20,000 that may have been every qualified (under $100K) buyer there.

Quote:
...but then we can't complain about there being no offers either!
Of course you can. The real complaint though is the agent soft pedaling you...
being "kind" and "polite", not holding up the hard truth reality mirror, doesn't serve you.

Sharpen your pencil... determine exactly how low you can go on price.
Then decide how much "loss" you can absorb if it means selling before summer is over.
Somewhere between those two is your exit strategy.

Sell the house. Move on.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
What's the average sales time? If the average home is selling in under 60 days, you should have lowered your price already. If the average is 90-120 days, you should probably lower it around 60 days. Only your agent can tell you what's going on in your specific area and what typically happens. Every market is different.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
My own agent who is a personal friend told me that she rarely does open houses. She lets the new agents in her office do them b/c they can pick up clients who are unrepresented. She had a few on my house, held by others.

My house is under contract BTW. I dropped the price by $5K every 2 weeks after the first 3 weeks with tons of showings and no offers. Each drop would bring in more showings until I finally got an offer. Way too low IMO but realistically that's what the market told me.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Lower your price now.

If you want to sell, that is. Otherwise leave the price alone and you might get stuck holding this home all winter because you priced too high during the entire selling season.

I would list at $79,900

--------------------------

FYI...did you change your homeowner's insurance to a type that covers vacant property? Check your policy to see what it defines as vacant and to see what they deny in coverage when vacant. Usually vacant is when you are gone 30 or 60 days. Some policies wont cover any claims if vacant; others won't cover fires or specific types of damages. Check now just to CYA.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My own agent who is a personal friend told me that she rarely does open houses. She lets the new agents in her office do them b/c they can pick up clients who are unrepresented. She had a few on my house, held by others.

My house is under contract BTW. I dropped the price by $5K every 2 weeks after the first 3 weeks with tons of showings and no offers. Each drop would bring in more showings until I finally got an offer. Way too low IMO but realistically that's what the market told me.
This is what my agent said as well (also a friend). Open houses rarely end up in a sale. I would say lower the price and sell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate