Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,782 times

Advertisements

I been looking at a house recently, 5000 sq feet, nice area in Denver and had been flipped but offering it so cheap. Every single thing in the house has been replaced.. I mean everything. I walked in and it smelled of cigarette smoke and just stale or something. I asked the flipper why the house stunk? She said the original owners were heavy smokers and she had no idea why it smelled but was having the brick scrubbed and the furnace looked at.

SO I called today and asked how the smell was and she said it's better. But then she said well there is a history to his house, the parents came home from dinner and found their 32 year old son dead.

Now I am thinking... maybe the son has been dead doe awhile, maybe thats why the house smells. I am glad she told me, I think she is trying to turn me off the property because she saw my 2 little girls and didnt seem to think it was a good house for them. Now I know why.

where can I get police reports for houses in denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
Realtors are obligated to disclose these sorts of things officially in their listings. They can get into a lot of trouble if they knew about a suicide, death, murder, pot house in the property they are selling and not disclosing such things to perspective buyers.

If you want to do some of your own detective work you can do the following to find more information:
a) Determine who the current owners of the home are though the county assessor records and do an online search to see if any news stories come up about a suicide. Alternatively, search the county's death records to see if the names come up and a cause of death is listed.

b) Do a search of the address online and see if any news stories come up

I'm not too familiar with the freedom of information act to know if police reports can be accessed under the act.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I believe the rules are different in different states as to what needs to be disclosed.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
I know Florida, AZ, CO and many more states that there is no requirement to disclose a suicide or death.
In Florida pursuant to Section 689.25, Florida Statutes, a homicide, suicide or death needn’t be disclosed to a prospective buyer in a real estate transaction because it’s not a material fact that requires disclosure.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
a show biz flipper, Jeff Lewis, hires a person to cleanse evil spirits from the houses he sells. Here's a link about how its done.
How to Spiritually Cleanse Your Home - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 07-15-2012, 07:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Here it is not subject to disclosure law which is meant to reveal current or potential hazards. There may be some states where violent crime/suicide is still required but here in ours it has been eliminated, on the grounds that suicide or other death has no affect on the value of a property. A crack house, for example, would have to be disclosed not because of the crimes but because of the potentially toxic residues.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
In Texas deaths that are caused by the house (fell down the stairs, faulty heater, things of that nature) must be disclosed. Deaths for other reasons are not required to be disclosed.

I seriously doubt that the death in the house in the period of time that the parents were out to dinner would cause an odor. But you can always have the house smudged (spiritually cleansed) if it would make you feel better.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
The smell of death is unforgettable. There is no way stale cigarette smoke could be mistaken for it. If the previous owners were heavy smokers then I can see the flipper trying to replace everything. My FIL is probably the worst chain smoker I have ever met. I swear everything in his place has a yellow haze on it. A friend of a friend years ago lost their son to suicide. He was a teenager and hung himself in the basement. The mother couldnt take living there so they sold the house. This could be a similar situation.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
There is no way the flipper saw your 2 children and decided the house was not good for your family.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
There is no way the flipper saw your 2 children and decided the house was not good for your family.

You know this because.......?

the wife showed me the house 2 times and both times tried to talk me into other houses they were working on, even though the homes were smaller and I made it clear I was not interested in those areas.

She is a nice woman, her husband is not so much, he would have never told me.

I called her up again and that's when she told me the history of the house, then again tried to talk me into another house in which I do not like how it is designed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate