Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 PM

941 posts, read 1,797,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
^^THis.

Get onto trulia and do a search for your house (zip code, BR's, amenities)...That's it!!
I never thought to do that!

see what comes up and really read through them.

See how the information is presented and who seems to do that best.
Then ask around for information from the locals on the ones (2-4?) that you like best.

My dear MrRational, you are still my hero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 05:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,631,717 times
I made my own fact sheet as my agent didn't know when I replaced the furnace, main water line, etc. She made the color MLS listing with all the facts about the house that are in the MLS, like how many rooms, schools, acreage, etc. Printed the photos in color. My fact sheet was in a plastic protector in a binder with photos of the yard at various times of the year, showing the landscaping to advantage. I also had a sheet of recommended repair persons who had worked for me.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,011,716 times
I'm a big fan of putting together a "brochure" for your house. I think it would be hard though for an agent to do this. You are just going to have to relay the information and just seems easier for the homeowner to do it.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 PM

15,511 posts, read 40,235,609 times
If I was going to hire a listing agent here is what I would do

1) Go on a major real estate portal, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com and google homes that are in my city in my expected price range. Then I would start scrolling through listings. Those that are filled out with good descriptions and excellent photos would get noticed and I'd write the names of those agents down. You should have just a few names. Seriously.

2) Then I would google the property addresses and look and see if they do any online videos. Agents that do videos would rise on the list to be interviewed.

3) Then I would google the few agents I have on my list and see what kind of internet presence they have. If they are on Twitter and Facebook, I would read their updates and tweets to see how they present themselves online and if they sound professional to me. I'd read blogs, CD posts, etc.

4) You should have just a couple of names at this point. Then I would interview them.

I would ask for, in writing, their marketing plan in detail, including if they do color flyers how often they will fill the flyer boxes. I'd want to know if they work with a stager, do open houses, etc. In detail. In writing.

Personally, in my area, open houses are a complete waste of time, but I know they still work in other areas. I would lean towards an agent that has strong internet presence over holding opens personally, but I don't know what works in your area.

Ask them to show them your MLS printout for their listings. I know we can generate a report that shares how many homes we have sold, our list to sold price ratio, etc.

Actions speak louder than words. Pick an agent to interview that has already demonstrated good quality marketing online. Don't waste your time with agents that don't get that good photos matter. You aren't hiring an agent to be your best buddy. You are hiring an agent that is competent.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:59 PM

941 posts, read 1,797,844 times
Silver fall.

First... WoW! deep exhale. Thank you

A question regarding this -->>> "I would ask for, in writing, their marketing plan in detail, including if they do color flyers how often they will fill the flyer boxes. I'd want to know if they work with a stager, do open houses, etc. In detail. In writing".
.................................................. .................................................. ....................................
It is nice to spell this out. If they eliminated something on your suggested plan I would not have known
I was being short changed.
I am unfamiliar with ways to advertise a home.

Thank you

Old 07-21-2012, 06:09 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,909,839 times
Many of us who work as singles don't always have a written plan since we adapt to the particular house and neighborhood. What works in one home does not work for another.

The old ways of RE... newspaper ads, open houses, agent luncheons, agent touring, etc has rapidly been replaced by technology. When was the last time you looked at a newspaper for something to buy ?

You need to find a broker who has a presence in your market, a great company website and knows how to market your home using technology.

And most importantly an agent who will communicate with you in a timely manner when you call or email.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,498,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm a big fan of putting together a "brochure" for your house. I think it would be hard though for an agent to do this. You are just going to have to relay the information and just seems easier for the homeowner to do it.
Why would this be hard? Marketing is one of the primary responsibilities of a listing agent.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:10 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,011,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why would this be hard? Marketing is one of the primary responsibilities of a listing agent.
I think about the one they had for our current house. They listed all the improvements they had done (even had pictures), information about the specific development, local activities, shopping, etc.

Some of the information was so specific it just seemed like it would be easier to put together myself than to relay the information to my agent and have them do it.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:58 PM

15,511 posts, read 40,235,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Many of us who work as singles don't always have a written plan since we adapt to the particular house and neighborhood. What works in one home does not work for another.
I agree that it is different from house to house, but it can still be in writing. I'm a small brokerage and we put everything in writing and it does change from house to house. Flyers aren't good for all properties. Videos aren't good for all properties. It just depends. Consumers need to pin agents services down better so they know exactly what they are getting with the listing services. It also helps them compare agent to agent better.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,909,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I agree that it is different from house to house, but it can still be in writing. I'm a small brokerage and we put everything in writing and it does change from house to house. Flyers aren't good for all properties. Videos aren't good for all properties. It just depends. Consumers need to pin agents services down better so they know exactly what they are getting with the listing services. It also helps them compare agent to agent better.
Yeah, I do have a list of things I do and was attempting to say I won't do them all. If there is "Open House" on the list, I may or may not do them but I don't want to be told "But you said on your sheet".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate