U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:47 PM

377 posts, read 673,741 times

Advertisements

I hate to tell you this, but that might not be enough. If you think you're only going to have to conceed 10k in this market, it's just a drop in the bucket. Many people have lost 25k, 30k, 35k, 50k and more on home prices.

You might need to tell us the price of your home and what bracket it is. There's just SO much competition out there and everybody is stepping up appearance and price to sell their home.

My home sat on the maket over a year. It was 239,900 with little traffic. I took it off the market.

My next relator was very brutal with me about the price. I dropped it 10k more and she told me it would sell for 225. I took a 224.9k offer. I lost money on my home and had to take $12,000 out of my 401k and bring a check to the table and close. So many people in this market are having to write checks and take a loss to get out of their home.

Talk about a sickness in your stomach at the closing table

But what comes around goes around as they say. I just bought a new townhome and I got a great deal in prime location.

It's hard to compete with new construction as well. The new builders are throwing so many incentives with buyers, it's hard to pass up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM

26,844 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
I hate to tell you this, but that might not be enough.
If you think you're only going to have to conceed 10k in this market, it's just a drop in the bucket.
Many people have lost 25k, 30k, 35k, 50k and more on home prices.
The larger issue (aside from price) that I sense is that you don't really want to sell.
And you certainly don't *need* to sell.

If either of those two were the case...
the price would have been lowered and house sold a long time ago.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,618,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary B123 View Post
I guess where I am the most frustrated is that I get negative feedback on things that are obvious in the on-line pictures - lthat our driveway slopes up some, and that you can see our back-door neighboors in the backyard...or that they wanted all 4 bedrooms on the same floor, when you can SEE in the description that I have 3 up and 1 down..
Is it possible to put fencing, screening or landscaping in the back yard that blocks the view of the neighbors?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM

525 posts, read 1,113,260 times
You'll get $200 after realtor's fees? OMG - consider yourself lucky. I will probably be selling my home later this year and I am fully prepared to bring about 8 to 10 THOUSAND dollars to closing to sell my house. And we also put updates into our home. Not a ton, but enough that it makes my stomach hurt.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 30,490 times
I understand that price sells a house - but maybe I'm just having a hard time getting over the idea that my house is WORTH MORE than what I have it listed at right now..

I mean, I bought it for $225k 9 years ago - we've put almost $100k in upgrades/updates into the house, and I have it listed right now at $280k...I had an appraisal done on it before we listed it last year and it came in at $285k...

and I know that this year is not the best year for selling -but it's supposed to be better than last year, right??

Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The larger issue (aside from price) that I sense is that you don't really want to sell.
And you certainly don't *need* to sell.

If either of those two were the case...
the price would have been lowered and house sold a long time ago.
You're right that I don't *need* to sell - we WANT to move...and I understand there is a big difference..

and honestly, my DH is totally convinced that if we bring money to closing "we'll be paying for someone to buy our house"..and when our realtor is saying that we're competitive and listed at a fair price he finds the idea of bringing money to the closing table just wrong..

I guess I'll just have to try to convince him otherwise...

BUT - even if I am $10-20k over priced - why has price never come up in our feedback ....and how come no one has loved my house enough to put in a low ball offer??

Old 07-26-2012, 02:13 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,155,718 times
Quote:
We've had feedback - from almost every showing....and we've had 28!!! and we've had an Open House that brought in 6 more families.

The most common negative feedback comments are things we cant change - like the slope of the driveway (which was QUITE obvious when you drove up), that we have neighbors behind us or that the "layout is wrong"...What??!! I just don't get that one..
I've had to move a lot of times in my career. It's often been the most frustrating stressful situations I've been through.

Every house I bought on a corporate move had to be viewed as a future sale (usually within 2 years). I came to quickly spot the things that would turn off some buyers, and avoided as many of them as I could - because the smaller the pool of buyers, the longer it might take to sell. I can't tell you how many houses we pulled up to with our realtor, only to tell them to drive on without going inside. For you, you just have to accept that there are things about your property that you can't change, but that are going to be a turnoff to some buyers. That's just reality, and you can't change it. It just makes selling it that much harder.

Feedback, in my view, is nearly worthless, because it's rarely honest or complete. Of course they're telling you obvious things like the driveway slope turns them off - it's a whole lot easier than going into one's individual, subjective tastes about why you didn't like a house (and potentially insulting the owners).

While 6 months isn't that extreme in this market, if you really want to find out what's going on you need to bring in an expert who will give you a very straight and honest opinion about your house, its features, location and appearance, and the price. That probably means someone who isn't angling for your business who will tell you what you want to hear so that they can get the listing. And you need to be willing to listen to that honest feedback and take action based on what you hear, if you really want your house to move quickly.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

While 6 months isn't that extreme in this market, if you really want to find out what's going on you need to bring in an expert who will give you a very straight and honest opinion about your house, its features, location and appearance, and the price. That probably means someone who isn't angling for your business who will tell you what you want to hear so that they can get the listing. And you need to be willing to listen to that honest feedback and take action based on what you hear, if you really want your house to move quickly.

and WHERE do I find this person??? I thought that the real estate agent I hired to sell my house would have been that "expert person" with no offers, I guess I was wrong there, right??

My agent is with a large, local realty firm and they brought to the table all these documents showing me they knew what they were doing and how they would market my home and sell it...

They gave me honest answers about what needed to be changed in my house prior to listing, we moved furniture around, removed furniture, unmounted tvs from the walls and we did EVERYTHING they said..

now what? I find a new realtor and try again in the spring - and hopefully with a DH who is a little more willing to *pay* someone to buy our home....

Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,618,422 times
I found your house online from your description. Here are a couple of my reactions. The major turn-off is a couple of poorly rated schools which show up in the Realtor listing, example the high school is only rated a 4 of 10. I know you can't do anything about that, but can you de-emphasize that? .

Second, is that the style is a bit dated, and it is competing with newer properties. Also, the first thing I would do is trim the trees in the front yard. You can't see the house well, and the first photo makes it look very dark inside. At least ask the realtor to change the picture to an angle which does not show the trees.

Third, I would put up a taller fence in the back yard so you can't see the neighbors. Maybe something like temporary bamboos slatting.

Fourth, could you consider changing the cabinets? They are dark, and kind of dated.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:37 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,676,489 times
Quote:
I understand that price sells a house - but maybe I'm just having a hard time getting over the idea that my house is WORTH MORE than what I have it listed at right now..
Unfortunately the price you paid for the house is irrelevant, just as it is with stocks. It is most likely a matter of price. It would not sell at 300k, but it would instantly sell at 100k, correct? So somewhere between that range is the selling price.

And luck is also a factor: sometimes the right person buys it the first day it is listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or