U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 AM

4,630 posts, read 7,216,053 times

Advertisements

Showings obviously have not been an issue, but buyers have purchased something else. There's your clue.

Look at what has sold.

I did just that.

At your price point compared to homes which have sold near your price point or below......your home, while a nice home.....is "meh" compared to what has sold.

"Meh" is that undefinable catch-all phrase... meaning..... just not grabbing my attention.

I looked at the sold homes, from the first pictures my attention was grabbed and I continued through the rest of the photo tour.

They all had one thing in common, good room size and flow patterns, good trim detail and privacy in the backyard.

Often times prospective buyers can't articulate what it is they don't like about a particular property.. so they'll just pick whatever they think of first.

I sold a house with the most awful driveway.. the worst you could imagine in a snowy community. The driveway was not an issue to the 5 couples who submitted offers because they all loved the house. It sold for just over list three years ago during the worst of the housing market crash.

I guess it is time for some soul searching.

Good luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,283,895 times
Semi-related, but I found your house on the MLS and I wanted to say the floorplan looks to be the exact same as the house I grew up in Raleigh in the late 80s. Crazy, but it brings back some memories! Good luck with the sale!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,347,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary B123 View Post
And HOW do I find a realtor who will actually sell my house without me having to bring money to closing b/c we've reduced my house to practically free? Right now at my current price, I'll get like $200 at closing after I pay for the 5% reatlor fees....
You don't. They only exist in fantasy land.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 AM

126 posts, read 218,613 times
I'm reading this thread and would love to look at the listing - to make sense of some of the comments. How do I find listing?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 PM

18,332 posts, read 18,571,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar View Post
I'm reading this thread and would love to look at the listing - to make sense of some of the comments. How do I find listing?
Speaking only for myself, but, it's fun playing detective from sometimes very few clues.
However, if the OP...seller, in this case, does not want to publicize the listing, it is entirely up to her and I won't be the one to do so.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 PM

33,060 posts, read 12,548,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If the rooms are smallish, TAKE OUT SOME FURNITURE. Declutter. Minimize. Clean out your closets - I mean make them PERFECT, as well as your cabinets and kitchen drawers - yes people open those. Light a candle before you leave - one that smells like fresh baked cookies or something like that - not a heavy floral. Turn accent lights on. HIDE THE PET BOWL (and make SURE that the presence of pets cannot be smelled). GET LIGHT INTO EVERY ROOM. Remove curtains and replace with simple, open blinds. Rather than trying to landscape your entire back yard, just trim it up really neat, and then concentrate on one area - a patio or little level spot in the yard. Put some nice outdoor furniture there and some plants in large pots - all stuff you can take with you, but it really makes the yard seem friendly and intimate.

Hope these help!
I agree. Also agree with the poster who said to spiffy up your back yard. Definitely clear out the closets and cupboards. One home had only a few coats in the entry closet. I knew we would stuff it to the brim, but at the time I remember thinking how much storage the place had.

When our home was "on the market," before every showing, we tidied the place up and ran a citrus smelling disposable cleaning cloth over the sinks, faucets, and counters. Kept a bag a frozen chocolate chips cookie dough scoops in the freezer and would bake a few in the oven and put on a pot of coffee. Not sure if it helped, but it was lovely to come home to.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,181,902 times
Seems like a nice house from the pictures; the decorating and furnishing tips some have provided wouldn't seem to changes things that much from my perspective.

So unless there's something wrong that's not apparent in the pictures, it leads me to believe it's a price issue relative to competition.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 PM

223 posts, read 503,247 times
If I am looking at the correct house, then it's the price. Zillow (for what it's worth) states that the value of your home is ~$262k. There is also a home on your street listed for $263k, yet it has hardwoods in the areas that you have carpet and linoleum. This house also looks "fresher" than yours.

If you truly want to move, you need to lower the price. You will likely recoup your losses when you purchase your Raleigh home.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 PM

8,857 posts, read 17,461,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary B123 View Post
The most common negative feedback comments are things we cant change - like the slope of the driveway (which was QUITE obvious when you drove up), that we have neighbors behind us or that the "layout is wrong"...What??!! I just don't get that one..that you can see our back-door neighboors in the backyard...or that they wanted all 4 bedrooms on the same floor, when you can SEE in the description that I have 3 up and 1 down..
You don't sell because of either price or condition objections. You've had uncorrectable condition objections so either you need to improve and update the home more or drop the price, or both. That's really all you can do.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM

14,333 posts, read 20,585,793 times
If you can afford to, I would significantly lower the price. That is what is going to find a buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or