U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,326 posts, read 9,050,368 times
Reputation: 5324

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
With the price of an exceptional camera as low as it is there is no excuse whatsoever for bad photos of a property. Bad photos and misspelled words in a listing drive me crazy!
More pet peeves of mine. There are so many agents out there who do stupid things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Photos are a whole thread... agents are doing a pretty good job nowadays. Many crappy homes have crappy photos. A family who won't clean up the house, a tenant with bad furniture, a vacant house all make for bad photos.

Many of the misspelling is bad abbreviations because we have a limited letter count we can use in the MLS. It was worse 5-10 years ago and most agents now write their descriptions for the public and not just for agents like the old days.

And then there are bad agents that take bad pics and misspell. Many times, They are the agents who must discount their fees to get the business.
Agreed. In this business, more often than not you get what you pay for. Hire someone who'll do the job for less and you'll get less in return. I will say though that this spring there was a marked increase in the number of listings with professional photos. Even some of the laziest agents in town actually broke the padlock off their wallets and paid for good photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Its pretty easy to get around the MLS letter count by just using photo editing software and putting the words on the photo itself...
My MLS displays photos pretty small. I wouldn't want to clutter up the photos with text. If you have good photos they speak for themselves anyway. A picture is worth 1,000 words after all. I tend to make my property descriptions more about what you can't see rather than what you can. It's pretty obvious if there are stainless steel appliances or white ones in the kitchen photos so I tend to talk more about the lifestyle the house offers. I find it attracts more buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 PM
 
630 posts, read 629,543 times
Reputation: 363
I bought the home Im currently living in using the selling agent as a dual agent. It worked out great for me. Because he stood to make the full commision he was more on my side than the seller who was out of state. When FEMA redrew the flood lines and I had to recertify for flood insurrance he came out of pocket for the $700 to pay the surveyour. He did other things to make the deal happen also. I dont know how people can allow someone else search for their home on the basis of a few criteria. My wife and I searched hard for months and months looking at several hundred house before we stumbled upon the home that we both knew was our dream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 PM
 
413 posts, read 699,602 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post


Agreed. In this business, more often than not you get what you pay for. Hire someone who'll do the job for less and you'll get less in return. I will say though that this spring there was a marked increase in the number of listings with professional photos. Even some of the laziest agents in town actually broke the padlock off their wallets and paid for good photos.
I don't know. It seems that every other thread is somebody who hired the best known realtor in town and is not happy with them. Seems to me like realtors are like anything else. You have to do research to find quality. An expensive realtor is no necessarily good and a cheap realtor is not necessarily bad.

Like most anything success in realty is often about good marketing. I really think many of the most successful agents are just really good at marketing themselves. They are great at selling you on them but not necessarily great at selling a buyer on your house. Just like a fancy well known restaurant may not have great food and a $2 whole in the wall might have the best Tacos you have ever tasted.

I have never really been a believer in the phrase you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get way more and sometimes you get way less. I have had $100 meals that weren't great at all and $6 meals that were fantastic. I suspect the same thing applies in real estate. There are agents who everybody knows and are considered the best but they will just hand you off to their assistant and there are probably agents who are new to the game, hungry, cheap and will work harder than anybody else. They might devote all their time to you because you are their only client.

Granted I have never spent anytime looking for a quality agent but that's my impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 11:32 AM
 
397 posts, read 492,102 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
I don't know. It seems that every other thread is somebody who hired the best known realtor in town and is not happy with them. Seems to me like realtors are like anything else. You have to do research to find quality. An expensive realtor is no necessarily good and a cheap realtor is not necessarily bad.

Like most anything success in realty is often about good marketing. I really think many of the most successful agents are just really good at marketing themselves. They are great at selling you on them but not necessarily great at selling a buyer on your house. Just like a fancy well known restaurant may not have great food and a $2 whole in the wall might have the best Tacos you have ever tasted.

I have never really been a believer in the phrase you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get way more and sometimes you get way less. I have had $100 meals that weren't great at all and $6 meals that were fantastic. I suspect the same thing applies in real estate. There are agents who everybody knows and are considered the best but they will just hand you off to their assistant and there are probably agents who are new to the game, hungry, cheap and will work harder than anybody else. They might devote all their time to you because you are their only client.

Granted I have never spent anytime looking for a quality agent but that's my impression.
I agree.

I do think that "standard" agents may discriminate and black ball discount brokers (DB) which could hurt their clients. This is more of an issue in a multiple offer situation.

On the other, as long as their is a commission check in their future, most "standard" agents will put aside their hatred for DB to get their $.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,977 posts, read 34,607,289 times
Reputation: 35998
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
I do think that "standard" agents may discriminate and black ball discount brokers (DB) which could hurt their clients. This is more of an issue in a multiple offer situation.
Curious what background or experience leads you to this conclusion ? Have you experienced this or just speculating ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
19,891 posts, read 36,444,799 times
Reputation: 21344
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
I bought the home Im currently living in using the selling agent as a dual agent. It worked out great for me. Because he stood to make the full commision he was more on my side than the seller who was out of state. When FEMA redrew the flood lines and I had to recertify for flood insurrance he came out of pocket for the $700 to pay the surveyour. He did other things to make the deal happen also. I dont know how people can allow someone else search for their home on the basis of a few criteria. My wife and I searched hard for months and months looking at several hundred house before we stumbled upon the home that we both knew was our dream
That's NOT what dual agency is supposed to be about and if the seller had this perception that agent could be in big trouble legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 PM
 
397 posts, read 492,102 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Curious what background or experience leads you to this conclusion ? Have you experienced this or just speculating ?
Was basing this off of comments (from agents) about discount brokers as well as personal "deals" that involved DBs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
19,891 posts, read 36,444,799 times
Reputation: 21344
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
I agree.

I do think that "standard" agents may discriminate and black ball discount brokers (DB) which could hurt their clients. This is more of an issue in a multiple offer situation.

On the other, as long as their is a commission check in their future, most "standard" agents will put aside their hatred for DB to get their $.
I don't blackball discount brokers nor do I know anyone who does so. When I'm finding properties for my clients, who the agent is and what the co-broke is are not in the search fields, and I don't even look at the bottom of the page until it's time to call the seller to make an appointment.

That being said, when it's obvious it's a discount broker who's not even in the same part of the state, as I'm writing the offer I do indulge myself in a huge sigh because it's clear that this is more than likely going to be one of the difficult ones with twice as many cats to herd, some of them clueless. My clients will never hear any of that, or the sigh, either, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 01:32 PM
 
397 posts, read 492,102 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I don't blackball discount brokers nor do I know anyone who does so...

That being said, when it's obvious it's a discount broker who's not even in the same part of the state, as I'm writing the offer I do indulge myself in a huge sigh because it's clear that this is more than likely going to be one of the difficult ones with twice as many cats to herd, some of them clueless. My clients will never hear any of that, or the sigh, either, of course.
Thats basically what I was saying. If you see a payout in the future, then you will deal with the extra hassle of a DB. However, if a mult offer situation offer arises, all things equal (or close to equal) you may steer you sellers away from the DB buyer.

Perhaps "blackball" was too strong of a word.

Quote:
When I'm finding properties for my clients, who the agent is and what the co-broke is are not in the search fields, and I don't even look at the bottom of the page until it's time to call the seller to make an appointment.
So your saying the BA commission doers not become an issue until you make the appt, what about after?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
19,891 posts, read 36,444,799 times
Reputation: 21344
You're wrong. I don't deal with the hassle because of a future payout in future, I deal with the hassle because my responsibility (as I see it) is to deal with these issues for my clients so that they get the house they want no matter who it's listed with. That's something very different and specifically precludes steering buyers away from a particular house for any reason other than something about the house itself and in that case I'd give them the information that I had that I thought might make it not the house for them and let THEM decide.

Now, YOU might look at it solely as a future payout, and YOU mght be inclined to steer buyers away from a house that's right for them because it means more work for you if you were an agent, I don't know you and so I can't say, though you seem to think that of others a lot and usually one thinks that if that's what they'd do in the same situation.

The co-broke does not become an issue for me for two reasons. One, here, if it's on the MLS, it's what your broker will get paid. It's a contract. (Wait, I forgot you don't really believe in those. Fortunately, others do and they are enforceable.) Two, if it were ridiculously low, the buyer has already agreed in the buyer's rep agreement that I will go to the seller's agent for payment first, and they will make up any difference. In real life, while I've seen lower than average co-brokes offered (and we didn't go after the buyer for the balance in those cases, even though we could), I've not seen anything ridiculously low on the MLS, and I've not as yet run into a FSBO seller who was so out of touch that they weren't quite comfortable with agreeing to pay a commission if I had a ready, willing and able buyer for their house and would not only bring them an offer but shepherd the contract through to closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top