U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I understand that the forms they sell at Staples and Office Max aren't the same as the ones used by professional Realtors and Attorneys so my main question is what would be some of the problems with using those Staple and Office Max forms for transactions?
You need an attorney to review the forms and tell you how they may or may not be deficient for your use.

Licensed real estate agents are well-versed in the use of standard forms, but in most states we are out of our area of expertise when dealing with other documents.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM

13,741 posts, read 31,556,293 times
Quote:
I understand that the forms they sell at Staples and Office Max aren't the same as the ones used by professional Realtors and Attorneys so my main question is what would be some of the problems with using those Staple and Office Max forms for transactions?
Well the problem is that state laws change every year. Real estate agent forms are updated as new laws go into effect where the generic forms aren't. Most don't address disputes as well.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:11 PM

7,077 posts, read 16,889,211 times
Quote:
When they are generic forms for the entire country, they don't address state specific and market specific stuff like what we call "The Option Period" in Texas and finance terms and HOA addendums and any of the potential 50+ addendums that are out there.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 PM

29,922 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Also, for example they don't address our TX laws on issues like HOA documents and your rights. States handle issues differently and a one size contract has many holes.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 PM

6,314 posts, read 8,641,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well the problem is that state laws change every year. Real estate agent forms are updated as new laws go into effect where the generic forms aren't. Most don't address disputes as well.
Ok I'll keep that in mind. That does sound like something to consider with those Staple forms.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 PM

6,314 posts, read 8,641,450 times
What about the forms offered by US legal forms? They seem to offer forms specific for different states.

Real Estate Contract Forms – Real Estate Purchase Agreements

Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 PM

5,920 posts, read 10,440,488 times
Quote:
What about the forms offered by US legal forms? They seem to offer forms specific for different states.

Real Estate Contract Forms – Real Estate Purchase Agreements
probably close to 90% of sales transactions go through realtors, and the form that those realtors use gets tried and tested in court more than any other, day in and day out. They have committees and herds of attorneys on the payroll, and when something unexpected happens in court, they revise the form, so it doesn't happen again.

That isn't to say that you *can't* write up a legal and binding contract on a piece of toilet paper - you can, and it will work. But the benefit of the realtor's form is that it is used by agent's on *both* sides of almost every transaction in most areas, and everyone *knows* what it says. There aren't as many "gotchas", or misplaced commas that make the meaning of a clause ambiguous. All the "common" disagreements have been covered & spelled out, and as a buyer or a seller, you don't have as much to worry about - there is an "out" for financing, there is a section about appliances, drapes, and water softeners. It isn't all-inclusive, but it's darn close.

For the record, you can actually *buy* a copy of our contract, even if you aren't using an agent, so it is available if you want it.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Real Estate Contract Forms Real Estate Purchase Agreements
The correct answer is unchanged by selecting a different forms provider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You need an attorney to review the forms and tell you how they may or may not be deficient for your use.

Licensed real estate agents are well-versed in the use of standard forms, but in most states we are out of our area of expertise when dealing with other documents.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:05 AM

10,677 posts, read 28,491,129 times
Our purchase contracts, written in plain English, are freely available on the real estate commissions website.

On a side note, it's a constant source of amusement what trained brokers put in a contract. I would be ROFL if I read a contract from someone without any training.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Our purchase contracts, written in plain English, are freely available on the real estate commissions website.
Ours are not. One can see samples on the NCAR site, but they are private forms, and the State offers no standard forms.
I wonder how many states have standard forms readily available to consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
On a side note, it's a constant source of amusement what trained brokers put in a contract. I would be ROFL if I read a contract from someone without any training.
Oh, yeah. You can tell the "Pros" who think CE is a burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or