U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:00 PM

6,314 posts, read 8,641,450 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever used the real estate transaction forms that they sell at Staples? If so,was there any problem with using them? Is it better to get these papers from an attorney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 02:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 9,994,274 times
These are the same, state-legal forms used by realtors and lawyers. The trick is knowing what to put in the blanks in order to best protect your own interests.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:12 PM

13,741 posts, read 31,556,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
These are the same, state-legal forms used by realtors and lawyers. The trick is knowing what to put in the blanks in order to best protect your own interests.
Not in my state. Those forms don't even come close to ours.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 9,994,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Not in my state. Those forms don't even come close to ours.
?? So, are you suggesting that one or the other is not the legal RE transaction form for your state?

Old 07-28-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
?? So, are you suggesting that one or the other is not the legal RE transaction form for your state?
I'm saying they are not the same forms that REALTORS and attorneys use in my state. No attorney or real estate agent would use that form in a transaction.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:34 PM

26,844 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
If you don't already have an attorney then NOW is the time to find one.
Look for somebody who does a fair bit LL:Tenant action that you can get along with
and ask him about getting you "set up" with all the legal stuff you'll need.

It starts with a lease that is KNOWN to pass muster in your COUNTY as well as the State.
You'll also need an application form a credit reference release and whatever is used there for
the other basic LL:Tenant transactions like deposits, inspections and pay or quit.

Visit the landlord court a few times as soon as you can.
Learn a few things and look for an attorney.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm saying they are not the same forms that REALTORS and attorneys use in my state. No attorney or real estate agent would use that form in a transaction.
Are there any potential problems with those Staple forms that you are aware of?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:45 PM

7,077 posts, read 16,889,211 times
Quote:
The store bought contracts are not the same in my state either, and they aren't the same in any state. In Texas, when you are a REALTOR®, you have access to the contracts drawn up by the Broker/Lawyer committee for the state. If you are not a REALTOR®, you cannot use these contracts.

Office Max, Staples, Office Depot, etc... they are not licensed nor REALTORS®, hence they do not have access to our state forms. They have access to generic contracts like on Legal Zoom that are nothing like the actual real estate contracts used in day to day real estate.

Good luck filling one of those out...

Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Are there any potential problems with those Staple forms that you are aware of?
Other than the fact that they are too generic? They don't address enough common issues in them for me.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Office Max, Staples, Office Depot, etc... they are not licensed nor REALTORS®, hence they do not have access to our state forms. They have access to generic contracts like on Legal Zoom that are nothing like the actual real estate contracts used in day to day real estate.
I understand that the forms they sell at Staples and Office Max aren't the same as the ones used by professional Realtors and Attorneys so my main question is what would be some of the problems with using those Staple and Office Max forms for transactions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or