U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,163,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
You have obviously not had the experience of dealing with an agent who refuses to submit an offer or work with you b/c your not an agent or broker.
After listing to you I think the problem might just be you personally. That I might have a problem with.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM

6,342 posts, read 9,114,084 times
Quote:
A professional is widely accepted as a person with a post graduate degree. While I respect the realtors who do their jobs well, calling them professionals is a stretch...A high school diploma or GED plus an internet class and a test is what gets you a license here in Texas...It can be accomplished in two months time by just about anyone who can read.
I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree, but I don't feel that makes me anymore a professional than many of my colleagues. While a piece of paper may make you a professional in your mind, in my mind being a true professional is about how you conduct your business. I've seen plenty of bad attorneys who managed to pass the bar and graduate law school. They were not professionals by any stretch of the term's definition.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM

8,877 posts, read 17,525,369 times
Quote:
Zyngawf spouts off this garbage, and Im the one acting unprofessional...gotcha.

A professional is widely accepted as a person with a post graduate degree.
I think this post sums up your attitude and it's why you aren't well received. Most attorney's are like you though. If someone came after the attorney industry and started trying to get rid of lawyers I'm sure you'd be up in arms about it, so why would you expect agents to be any different? I'm guessing you're some pompous early 20's just graduated no real world experience trust fund kid?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 AM

6,069 posts, read 12,723,665 times
From what Marksmu has stated, it seems to me that he's going do the same as always which is to only write the contract, but since he has a real estate license, he will be entitled to the commission.

Of course, he has stated that "Realtors get a fat check for doing nothing". So I guess that's what he's expecting.

The problem is that now he becomes the "agent" of that person, and not just an attorney writing a contract. Therefore, he owes all of the fiduciary duties to that client, and the duty of honesty and fair dealing to all others.

Soon he'll be seeing things from the inside out, and they will look entirely different.

Unless he drafts a broker/buyer agreement that specifically states that he is a limited service agent, and lists the duties that he will not perform, such as show homes, attend inspections, closings, show the home several repeat times, be there with them for the final walk through, and a myriad of other things, such as not communicating except at lunch time or after 5pm, then he is not being honest with his "clients", and may find himself in some uncomfortable situations down the road.

Also, if the listing agents are asked to show the properties, and he doesn't disclose the fact that the reason he isn't showing them is that he has a full time day job and can't show them, then there will be issues.

A buyers agent cannot expect to have the listing agent do their job and be paid the full commission. That buyer agent commission is meant to be paid to a full service buyer agent.

And if the listing agent is lied to about why a buyers agent is asking them to show their client a home, and if the buyers agent is not going to be at home inspections, and other situations that may require the agents presence, that can bring up other issues that may affect the real estate license, and also the license to practice law.

Screw over the wrong listing agent, and that agent may get an email to every licensed real estate in Texas warning about a deceptive practice of an attorney/agent lying to listing agents to get the listing agents to show their property for them. And even a word to the local Realtor Association about such a practice will probably get some action from the professional standards committee.

But what do I know. According to Marksmu I am ignorant, and since I don't have a "post graduate" degree, I am not a professional.

Damn, that means I wasn't a "professional" airline captain, because I didn't have a "post graduate" degree.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 AM

30,044 posts, read 34,794,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I'm guessing you're some pompous early 20's just graduated no real world experience trust fund kid?
Does the SMU give it away ?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,163,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I think this post sums up your attitude and it's why you aren't well received. Most attorney's are like you though. If someone came after the attorney industry and started trying to get rid of lawyers I'm sure you'd be up in arms about it, so why would you expect agents to be any different? I'm guessing you're some pompous early 20's just graduated no real world experience trust fund kid?
Iv' been thinking this for a while, but you beat me to saying it.

He claims to be such an independent capitalist, yet has a salaried position with benefits an works not only for free, but in the red. What about any of that is independent or capitalist? Especially compared to real estate agents. The fact that he is willing to lose money, and do a half azz job as a buyers agent and feels its OK because he doesn't think anyone will notice, just shows that it's more personal than anything else. Some less educated lowly real estate agents told him no when he asked for money and information that he isn't entitled to. It's what it really is about. He says he respects those of us that do a good job, yet if he gets a license won't require himself to do the same. Having a degree and another job means that every listing agent dealing with him will have to do a portion of his job, but hey, he has a degree so that makes him a professional regardless.

I just want to state here that I don't devalue education. It is why I encouraged my son to go and gladly put out the money for it. Someone else's education turned them into a doctor that recently saved my other sons life. I see the value if it's applied correctly. That said, I have also met more than enough educated morons. MikePRU is right. It's about how you conduct your business.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 AM

13,764 posts, read 31,736,915 times
Quote:

A professional is widely accepted as a person with a post graduate degree. While I respect the realtors who do their jobs well, calling them professionals is a stretch...A high school diploma or GED plus an internet class and a test is what gets you a license here in Texas...It can be accomplished in two months time by just about anyone who can read.
You are off base here. A professional is someone that practices their craft with honesty and integrity. While I have a master's degree, I have friends that don't have a degree at all that are amazing professionals in various industries. I've also met some serious dolts that have advanced degrees. College isn't for everyone, and education does not mean you are ethical. Having a good moral compass has little to do with how educated you are, in my opinion. Educated people are just more slick in their deception.

If you walk into transactions assuming the agent on the other side will be an idiot, they are going to sense your arrogance and will likely react to that. Some agents are idiots, some aren't. It is better to assume you will have a good agent on the other side until they prove otherwise. That way you won't engage in conflict with the good agents out there. In my experience most agents are good decent people that are often just not well trained and clueless who don't appreciate the magnitude of this financial transaction. That is different than being unethical. Clueless agents are common. Truly unethical agents are rare, at least in my area.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu
A professional is widely accepted as a person with a post graduate degree.
That is a pompous and completely wrong statement.

Marksmu is confusing professional occupation with what is termed a "learned profession". A "learned profession" is one that requires apost graduate degrees.

The practice of law, medicine, and theology are considered "learned professions" because they require a post graduate degree.

There are many other professions where a post graduate degree is not required, but people get them for several reasons including a move up to a higher pay scale.

Professions include a wide range of businesses, and sports.
  • A golfer who makes a living at golf is a "professional" golfer.
  • An airline pilot is a "professional" pilot.
  • A Realtor is a "professional" real estate agent.
As has been mentioned, not all professionals conduct themselves in a professional manner, and that includes, lawyers, doctors, theologians, airline pilots and Realtors.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

If you walk into transactions assuming the agent on the other side will be an idiot, they are going to sense your arrogance and will likely react to that. Some agents are idiots, some aren't...
With Marksmu's attitude toward Realtors, I really don't think he deserves our time in providing him with advice, and I won't offer any more suggestions as to what he may encounter.

Let him jump in the pond with his attitude and learn from the school of hard knocks.

I just told my wife that someone said I get "fat checks for doing nothing". She laughed and said:

"where are those fat checks from those buyers you spent all that time with and they decided to move somewhere else, or went to buy a new build home without using you, or the listing that you spent all the time on and the seller decided to take it off the market (and you let him); and what the hell are you doing during those 12 hours you work on most days?"

Old 08-23-2012, 12:05 PM

13,764 posts, read 31,736,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
With Marksmu's attitude toward Realtors, I really don't think he deserves our time in providing him with advice, and I won't offer any more suggestions as to what he may encounter.
His attitude is like many consumers and I take the time to share my thoughts with them as well. I accept the realities that the entry standards are way to low for what this profession really entails when done correctly. It does mean that there are just some seriously nice, but totally clueless people out there, helping people make $500,000 financial purchases. I can understand why consumers would be angry about that and vent on forums about it.

The only school of hard knocks that I can see happening is against his aunt who will hang his license. If there are any negative repercussions it will be against her brokerage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or