U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 PM

6,069 posts, read 12,756,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

The only school of hard knocks that I can see happening is against his aunt who will hang his license. If there are any negative repercussions it will be against her brokerage.
It will affect her brokerage, but he will have been the cause, and there will be some negative repercussions toward him.

There is more I could say on that subject, but he needs to learn the hard way.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM

31,957 posts, read 55,955,477 times
All I have to say...

If there is a throwdown between the CD Texan attorneys, Austin Willy back from sabbatical wins in a walk, without a warm up, holding a Lone Star in one hand and a brisket samwich in the other.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM

8,905 posts, read 17,581,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
In MA, we have continuing education requirements for maintaining a RE license. IMO, it's not that there aren't minimum requirements to maintain a license it's that the requirements are too low. Of course, most real estate agents have a hard enough time finding time to stop for lunch during the day forget about satisfying high continuing ed requirements. I agree though there needs to be a system in place to weed out the bad agents part time and full time.
Same in SC. What I'd like to see is a minimum # of deals or time logged at work or something. The 8 hours continuing ed every 2 years doesn't really deter many.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM

8,905 posts, read 17,581,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
All I have to say...

If there is a throwdown between the CD Texan attorneys, Austin Willy back from sabbatical wins in a walk, without a warm up, holding a Lone Star in one hand and a brisket samwich in the other.
AW all the way. He's stick a boot and spur up where the sun don't shine with a grin on his face and a gleam in his eye.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:32 PM

30,061 posts, read 34,953,859 times
Quote:
Austin Willy came to my mind at the very beginning of this thread. Please don't blame Texas.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM

13,779 posts, read 31,849,477 times
Quote:
All I have to say...

I bet he'd him time for a couple of beers in there too. I miss AW on this forum. He always presented well thought out arguments even when I disagreed with him.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:52 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,178,953 times
Where is Marcschmoo today? I miss him.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 PM

13,779 posts, read 31,849,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Same in SC. What I'd like to see is a minimum # of deals or time logged at work or something. The 8 hours continuing ed every 2 years doesn't really deter many.
You know Oregon tried this. The real estate commission committee brought up the idea that a real estate agent had to do one transaction per year to maintain their license. OAR was all over making sure that didn't happen. We have to do 30 hours every 2 years for CE in specific subjects.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 PM

1,731 posts, read 2,314,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree, but I don't feel that makes me anymore a professional than many of my colleagues. While a piece of paper may make you a professional in your mind, in my mind being a true professional is about how you conduct your business. I've seen plenty of bad attorneys who managed to pass the bar and graduate law school. They were not professionals by any stretch of the term's definition.

I have not once defended the legal profession...There are lots of scum bag attorneys and I do not condone their behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I think this post sums up your attitude and it's why you aren't well received. Most attorney's are like you though. If someone came after the attorney industry and started trying to get rid of lawyers I'm sure you'd be up in arms about it, so why would you expect agents to be any different? I'm guessing you're some pompous early 20's just graduated no real world experience trust fund kid?
I also do not agree with many of the laws passed by attorneys that protect their profession. I do not believe that you should have to use an attorney if you don't want too...but there are laws that require just that if you are incorporated. I don't agree with it, and I am openly state my opinion on issues like that. I don't believe there should be any barriers to self representation in any field where you only harm yourself.

Im also not some pompous 20 something trust fund kid either. Im considerably older, no trust fund, been working full time since graduating college...including through law school. I believe in hard work...I don't believe in high compensation for very little work. This is why I have such an issue with so many of the listing agents that operate this way. I have worked with mostly listing agents, and have found so many of the listing agents to be outright lazy and unwilling to work. I'm yet to have a problem with a buyers agent so I make no judgments on them. My only judgment in that regard is that I don't feel I should be forced to use a buyers to make an offer, and many of the listing agents act that way. My complaint is that its nothing more than protection of their profession and its not in their principals best interests.

You guys can bad mouth me all you want, you can bad mouth attorneys all you want, you can even say that I'm the dumbest, worst, most unethical attorney you have ever come across but until you run up against me - you will never know if any of it is true.

I have worked very hard...I'm a hands on person, I mow my own yard, I change my own oil, I rehab my own rental properties, I take issue with letting anyone do for me, the things I can do for myself. I get satisfaction from learning new things and then applying them and I oppose nearly every regulatory or legislative roadblock that gets in the way of what I am trying to accomplish. I have a full time job, and I run two part-time jobs/hobbies 1) rental properties 2) cattle ranch.

That is where I come from....I call it like I see it. Maybe the picture will look different from the other side...Time will tell, but I'm not afraid to try and I certainly wont listen to the copious comments on here of leave it up to the professionals b/c they know better. Nobody is more vested in me getting what I want than I am.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,178,953 times
[quote=marksmu;25774547]
Quote:
I believe in hard work...I don't believe in high compensation for very little work.
Then why are you planning on getting a real estate license and then not doing the whole job? Most of us have a issue with you because you plan on getting the whole commission for very little work compared to what the rest of us know the job requires. You are willing to let the listing agents pick up the slack and figure you won't get caught. How is that ethical?

Quote:
You guys can bad mouth me all you want, you can bad mouth attorneys all you want, you can even say that I'm the dumbest, worst, most unethical attorney you have ever come across but until you run up against me - you will never know if any of it is true.
I think you have shown your true colors and we do know.

Quote:
I have worked very hard...I'm a hands on person, I mow my own yard, I change my own oil, I rehab my own rental properties, I take issue with letting anyone do for me, the things I can do for myself. I get satisfaction from learning new things and then applying them and I oppose nearly every regulatory or legislative roadblock that gets in the way of what I am trying to accomplish. I have a full time job, and I run two part-time jobs/hobbies 1) rental properties 2) cattle ranch.
You don't get it. I don't think any one here takes issue with you not hiring a real estate agent for yourself. It is a choice. That never was never the issue. The problem is you thinking you and your clients are owed part of the commission our seller has agreed to pay us in a separate contract that is none of your business.

Quote:
That is where I come from....I call it like I see it. Maybe the picture will look different from the other side...Time will tell, but I'm not afraid to try and I certainly wont listen to the copious comments on here of leave it up to the professionals b/c they know better. Nobody is more vested in me getting what I want than I am.
Your head may explode. I have visual image of smoke coming out your ears. It is what makes you look like and unreasonable 20 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or