Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,845 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there is a "resale" issue of having a kenmore elite range and microwave versus electrolux.

I want an induction cooktop and have narrowed down my choices to electrolux and kenmore elite slide in convection ranges. I would also put in a 'matching' microwave so the handles and colors match.

I really like the look and feel of the kenmore elite (which is actually made by electrolux) because I like the layout of the cooktop better than the electrolux version.

However, I feel like I'd be the only homeowner in my home's price range to have a "kenmore appliance" in my kitchen. Is that overly snobby of me? Is Kenmore 'Elite' better for resale than a regular kenmore?

I have been going to open houses and looked at a homes for sale in my home's price range (mid 400s in raleigh-durham NC area) and I am not seeing kenmore or kenmore elite appliances. I see kenmore in the low to mid 300s homes.

I hate to settle on the electrolux based on my limited experience going to open houses so I thought I'd ask the experts in this forum...

What would you advise a homeowner to do? I am concerned about resell b/c it is quite possible we are selling in 4-8 year time frame which is well within the lifespan of this range.

Thoughts?

note: GE Profile is not on the list b/c I like the straight lines on the other two, and thermador/wolf are too high end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
It's not make or break, the big deal now is it stainless steel????

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Buy the Kenmore if it suits your cooking needs.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
However, I feel like I'd be the only homeowner in my home's price range to have a "kenmore appliance" in my kitchen. Is that overly snobby of me?
Yes.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
It's not make or break, the big deal now is it stainless steel????
But will it be in 4 to 8 years?
I didn't like them a few years ago, don't like them now and wouldn't put SS in and have to live with them just because it might be the rage at some future sale date.
OP, if it's not a case of the very most expensive as opposed to the cheapest, go with the one you have to live with,look at and are going to use.

I'm not an 'elite' type person but have to laugh since I always associate Kenmore with Sears and KMart.....not exactly what you think of as snobby

Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Kenmore is Sears' brand. They take the main brands and turn them into Kenmore's brand by tweaking a couple features so it's not the exact same, but it brings the cost down.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
I am wondering if there is a "resale" issue of having a kenmore elite range and microwave versus electrolux.
How soon will you be moving?
If you don't have a date in mind to move then choose the appliances (brand features price) that suit YOU.
If it's VERY soon then don't buy anything... let the new owner make the choices that suit THEM.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
It's hard to imagine someone would choose house A over house B based on preference of appliance brand, but I guess it is possible. But you never know someone might prefer the Kenmore to the electrolux. Kind of like paint. You never know what someone is going to prefer.

I wouldn't worry about it. Pick what you want and will be happy with. You can always offer a "credit" for new appliances and take the old ones with you.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Personally, I prefer to buy my own NEW appliances than have USED appliances rolled into a 30 year mortgage! Otherwise I'd be still be paying on them long after they've gone to the garbage dump!

Buy what you like.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM

146 posts, read 358,538 times
Yep, I hear Kenmore and think re-branded Sears and think crappy service and crappy stores, so to me Electrolux looks better But really, it's very unlikely to make any difference at all when you sell. Look at Consumer Reports, compare their findings to yours, and buy what you like. I would not waste a second of time looking at other houses to see what people in your price range buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate