U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM

19,651 posts, read 53,649,862 times

Advertisements

My buyer asked for every last thing on the report. I agreed to fix 4 items (less than $300) and told them everything else had passed the city inspection when the remodel was done. They accepted that.

I had a crack in a rafter and some minor electrical and plumbing stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 PM

14,038 posts, read 13,637,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton022 View Post
2. Two/three slabs of concrete on the driveway to garage has upheaved. ~2000$ item to fix.
Did you put an extra "0" in this figure? That cost doesn't seem to match your pictures, which look like cracks in the concrete, not buckling. (BTW, where's your realtor in all this? Sure hope you're not buying your first home without one or you could make some major mistakes.)

Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM

46 posts, read 80,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Did you put an extra "0" in this figure? That cost doesn't seem to match your pictures, which look like cracks in the concrete, not buckling. (BTW, where's your realtor in all this? Sure hope you're not buying your first home without one or you could make some major mistakes.)
I didn't put a 0. That was quote from a contractor. It sounds like you guys don't find this issue to be a deal breaker.

I have an agent, but given that there is huge incentive for agents to close the deal, I just wanted to get some second opinion on this. Yea, this is my first home.

What do you mean by major mistakes? What would be those for my case? I have had two inspectors check it out, and list the repairs. many of them are minor, except for the ones I listed earlier.

I guess roof would be my major concern. I don't want to spend 13K (which was the estimate given to me) out of pocket before we move in. I understand the seller may not agree to give me a new roof, but what would be a reasonable offer?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 PM

4,631 posts, read 7,234,753 times
Shoddy construction with cheap materials.

The owner's didn't even care enough to do one iota of work on the house before they listed it.

No maintenance done whatsoever.

Would you buy a used car that had never been maintained?

Are you planning on financing this purchase or paying cash?

Run and keep looking. That's my advice.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by major mistakes? What would be those for my case? I have had two inspectors check it out, and list the repairs. many of them are minor, except for the ones I listed earlier. I guess roof would be my major concern.
The rotted door/eaves that you mentioned are a concern. Did you get a termite report? Can you get a licensed roofer to look at the roof? Maybe the damage is minor and they can do something about the molding and replace the tiles. (Make sure the $13,000 estimate is not just given by a contractor who needs some work.) A roof should last longer than 13 years. What's it made out of?

Our buyers requested a licensed roofer to evaluate our roof and give them a run down on repairs since the inspection report uncovered chipped and missing tiles. It's not unreasonable for you to request that and the sellers to provide it for you (and if they won't and you think it's worth the expense, you can pay for the evaluation).

Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
The rotted door/eaves that you mentioned are a concern. Did you get a termite report? Can you get a licensed roofer to look at the roof? Maybe the damage is minor and they can do something about the molding and replace the tiles. (Make sure the $13,000 estimate is not just given by a contractor who needs some work.) A roof should last longer than 13 years. What's it made out of?

Our buyers requested a licensed roofer to evaluate our roof and give them a run down on repairs since the inspection report uncovered chipped and missing tiles. It's not unreasonable for you to request that and the sellers to provide it for you (and if they won't and you think it's worth the expense, you can pay for the evaluation).
CA, two licensed roofers, ours and theirs, both evaluated and came to the same conclusion that the roof need to be replaced right away and it would cost between 11K-13K. Apparently, they used some organic shingles that don't last very long.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Shoddy construction with cheap materials.

The owner's didn't even care enough to do one iota of work on the house before they listed it.

No maintenance done whatsoever.

Would you buy a used car that had never been maintained?

Are you planning on financing this purchase or paying cash?

Run and keep looking. That's my advice.
Yea, it does feel like a foreclosure house with little maintenance being done. Anyway, we have made all the demands, lets see what they get back with.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
CA, two licensed roofers, ours and theirs, both evaluated and came to the same conclusion that the roof need to be replaced right away and it would cost between 11K-13K. Apparently, they used some organic shingles that don't last very long.
Sorry, missed that about the organic shingles from when you posted it before. Then definitely ask the sellers for a credit.

Is this house in preforeclosure? That would explain why it's not in good shape, which would be more reassuring than assuming that the owners just didn't care enough to keep it up. If it is, they will probably not be able to give you anything for the roof, so you have to decide if the house is worth the expense. And maybe it is.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Is this house in preforeclosure? That would explain why it's not in good shape, which would be more reassuring than assuming that the owners just didn't care enough to keep it up. If it is, they will probably not be able to give you anything for the roof, so you have to decide if the house is worth the expense. And maybe it is.
No, it is not in preforeclosure. I believe the sellers just upgraded themselves to a more expensive house, so they are selling this one. Still waiting to hear back ..

Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I believe the sellers just upgraded themselves to a more expensive house, so they are selling this one..
Wow, and they didn't even bother to fix their garbage disposal. Interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate