U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:25 PM

46 posts, read 80,283 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the wrong forum .. moving this question here..

We got back the inspection report for a house that we are planning to purchase. This is our first home purchase, and I'm unclear on what are the reasonable items to ask. Please help!!

1. Two basement rod hole leaks. ~700$ per crack to fix

2. Two/three slabs of concrete on the driveway to garage has upheaved. ~2000$ item to fix.

3. Back door does not lock properly and there is about an inch gap. The problem is that the tenants did not fix the rotting wooden trim on the exterior in time. This is again 1500$ fix to replace the door, but much cheaper to just fix the wood -- which will just prevent further damage but won't fix existing problem, I believe.

4. Roof is about 13 years old, and would need to replaced in a year.

5. Kitchen garbage disposer doesn't work

6. Couple of broken kitchen cabinets

7. Bunch of minor things: missing garage opener, leaky hoses, corroded supply valves, couple of minor wood rots on the exterior, etc.

I was thinking of asking the seller to fix the first six items. For the roof, at least bear part of the cost. Or should I have factored this into the price before signing the contract?

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,295,421 times
I don't know much about 1 or 2. $1500 for a door seems high to me. Did they disclose the age of the roof and is there any problem with it today? If you knew it was old and it is functioning I don't think you should ask for it to be replaced. I would skip the rest of the small stuff.

EDIT: Where did you get the estimates from?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 PM

3,404 posts, read 4,138,299 times
Without knowing what kind of price you paid in relation to the value of the house it is hard to answer that question.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,295,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Without knowing what kind of price you paid in relation to the value of the house it is hard to answer that question.
Excellent point. Perhaps they priced it low because they knew there were issues.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
The house has been on the market for about 5 months, and we were told their best offer they had received before was 300K, 10K less than the offer we settled on.

There were only two comparables, both sold in the last two months.

a) 150 sq feet smaller, but 600+ sft basement, a sun porch and some high efficiency upgrades. This one sold exactly for the same price we settled on.

b) 250 sq feet smaller, but had some hardwood floors. Rest same. This one sold for 12K less than our price.

Last edited by proton022; 07-31-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
OP is your contract contingent on your accepting the house in pristine condition or accepting it as is or do you have any contingencies.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
OP is your contract contingent on your accepting the house in pristine condition or accepting it as is or do you have any contingencies.
It the last of the three you mentioned. It is contingent upon inspection being upto our satisfaction, or the seller agrees to make necessary repairs to make them satisfactory.

I understand we cannot expect pristine condition, but I'd also like to understand what are reasonable expectations.

The house was not staged for selling .. so there is fair amount of cleaning/painting to be done. We were aware of this when we made the offer, but didn't take roof, etc., into consideration -- may be we should have.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't know much about 1 or 2. $1500 for a door seems high to me. Did they disclose the age of the roof and is there any problem with it today? If you knew it was old and it is functioning I don't think you should ask for it to be replaced. I would skip the rest of the small stuff.

EDIT: Where did you get the estimates from?
The estimate is a ballpark number given by the inspector, who was a constructor before.

They did disclose roof's age. The inspector discovered that some shingles are worn out, and there is some moss build up on some others.

What do you all think of upheaved concrete slabs on the driveway? Is that normal for a 13 year old house? Should I ask for any repair or leave it as it is?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 AM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton022 View Post
It the last of the three you mentioned. It is contingent upon inspection being upto our satisfaction, or the seller agrees to make necessary repairs to make them satisfactory.
^^^ Then if you're not satisfied then this should be your way out of the contract if the seller refuses to make those repairs or corrections. Your agent should be advising you about this and represent you to your best interest.

Based on what you said needs to be done, I'd personally run not walk away from this possible money pit. I purchased a house once with similiar problems as I thought to myself that I could fix it up myself with no problems. Problem was when we started into repairs etc we ran into many hidden expensive problems later.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 AM

13,878 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Based on what you said needs to be done, I'd personally run not walk away from this possible money pit.
I agree. There's too much wrong with it. A 13-year old house should not have a problem with concrete buckling, and since it does, you'd want it repaired by someone you know who is honest and can give you a reason for the problem (with the cost preferably paid for by the seller or if not, a credit given). We just sold a 50-plus year old home and the 40 page inspection report did not list anywhere near the number of serious and expensive problems noted by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate