U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 PM

15,809 posts, read 24,157,410 times

Advertisements

Where do you live? In NY it's unheard of for all of this stuff not to convey with the sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 PM

4,632 posts, read 7,251,263 times
If they become negotiating items - I'd say pass except on the range which since installed is normally included in the sale price of the home.

Why would you want to pay for 30 years on old appliances

Now if they are truly newish...perhaps do a separate transaction for the items you want.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,448,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Where do you live? In NY it's unheard of for all of this stuff not to convey with the sale.
Same in NJ. I would just expect that stuff to come with the house.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:28 PM

718 posts, read 1,755,365 times
They are worth what it would cost the seller to haul away and nothing more. And if it isn't worth that to you, then these personal property items are worth nothing. They are definitely worth nothing to any lender you might use.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,251,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
I am looking at buying an older home. When I say older home I mean a home that is about 60 plus years old. The owner of the home is offering to give me the following items that are currently in the home if I buy the home.

Washer and Dryer
Refridgerator
Oven Range
Microwave
Miscellaneous furniture (Worth maybe 200 dollars)
Curtains on Windows

All of these items are used items. How much value do these items really have ? It kind of seems to me like the owner is trying to justify the price of the home by offering to give these items to me for free if I buy the home.
I really don't know enough of the context of your question. Are you assuming we know something, such as that you feel that the house you are looking at is overpriced?

As far as the things they are offering to you "free", well, it costs a lot just to have things moved out so you are doing THEM a favor for accepting them.

I would think you'd prefer to buy your own appliances, anyway. I sure would.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM

8,279 posts, read 10,069,288 times
Quote:

I agree! - With the exception of perhaps the used furniture, but, that has a very limited value. It sounds to me like the seller is trying to act like they are giving the seller something ... that should convey anyway (?) -- (I guess they learned this trick from the auto industry ... "Buy this car and we'll give you dealer prep, undercoating, and a carwash for FREE!")

Perhaps the buyer should go back and ask how much the seller will take off the price -- if they take these items out ... or what type of discount they will offer for including items in an 'older condition' that the buyer will likely have to replace in the near future. ---The seller should easily be able to verify what items are typically "included with" homes for sale in the area.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,333,059 times
Quote:
In every state I have lived in (including SC and NY) typically what comes with the home purchase is stove, built-in oven (if not part of the stove), built-in microwave, and built-in dishwasher. Few come with the refrigerator and washer/dryer unless specified. Window dressing are also specified in the contract.

My last two purchases were new so the builder was very specific with the appliances (and models) that were included and in each case, the refrigerator and washer/dryer were not included.

In my last sale we had an extensive list of things as we were leaving quite a bit such as lawn equipment, garden tools, garage benchs, garage cabinets, generator, shop vacuum, power washer, all window dressings, etc. as we did not want nor need them in our new place. Part of the reason was I did not want to move everything so I gave them tons of stuff. We did take our refrigerator and washer/dryer.

Of course, one should always be sure what was does convey with the sale.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 PM

15 posts, read 22,925 times
We just agreed on a contract for a home and the appliances had zero impact on the final sale price. I don't even like to think about it in those terms because then (as someone mentioned), I'd actually be financing a 500.00 set of washer/dryer for 30 years.

Rather, those items are given to me as the seller didn't want to cart them off and I agreed to take them because they're either built in or I can use them.

Bottom line, they're not an area for negotiating on a house.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 PM

47 posts, read 102,415 times
I am leaving lots of goodies in my house (flat screens, washer/dryer, ceiling fans, refrigerator, some furniture, etc.) and my buyer's offer was below asking price, but i still accepted.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 AM

3,404 posts, read 4,155,895 times
Used appliances would not be enough of an incentive to make me like the house any better or buy a house I didn't like. They may be worth something, but not a lot. Stove and curtains usually convey with the house unless it is stated otherwise in the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or