U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 AM

108 posts, read 324,177 times

Advertisements

I am looking at buying an older home. When I say older home I mean a home that is about 60 plus years old. The owner of the home is offering to give me the following items that are currently in the home if I buy the home.

Washer and Dryer
Refridgerator
Oven Range
Microwave
Miscellaneous furniture (Worth maybe 200 dollars)
Curtains on Windows

All of these items are used items. How much value do these items really have ? It kind of seems to me like the owner is trying to justify the price of the home by offering to give these items to me for free if I buy the home.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
How new are they? Check on craigslist or a used furniture store to see what they are selling for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-03-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 PM

3,576 posts, read 5,902,769 times
"Extras" items leftover in home are generally regarded as having zero impact on final sales price of the home.

Think about it:
10 year old Washer/dryer, 10 year old non flat screen TV, curtains you don't really need. How much value does that add to your 200K-1 million dollar purchase price of a home?

You can get a brand new state of the art washer/dryer set for around $1500-1700 (those nice Samsung/LG models) on sale at Best Buy this week with full warranty
Nice 46 inch Flat Screen TV's cost less than $1000 these days

You get it?

So unless homeowner is leaving you top end appliances or entertainment systems that are less than 2-3 years old, than what homeowner is leaving is is pretty much worthless to final sales price of home. And believe me, if homeowner had a top of the line 2010 Samsung Washer and Dryer, 95% chance they wouldn't be offering to leave that item with you.

Personally, when we sold our home this past week, I left a pretty nice 2008 Samsung 52 inch LCD full HDTV that was already mounted on the wall, I thought it wouldn't look good taking the TV out. I paid $2000 for TV in 2008. It's "real value" may be worth $500 at most these days. Also left them my 2007 Onkyo 7:1 surround sound system that may be worth $300 now (I paid $800 for it). Also left them a 2007 LG Washer/Dryer. At most those 3 items may be worth $1200 total used on craigslist these days. On a $500K pruchase of a home, it means very little to me or the buyer.

Of course, I didn't leave my 55 inch top of the line 8000 series Samsung 3D TV I just got last October 2011!
People rarely leave newer high end equipment to new homeowners.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,120,969 times
Correct, the value is whatever they are worth to you at the time. A washer and dryer may have more value to you if you don;t want to go out and buy one and need to wash stuff the day you move in. But if you have a set sitting in storage that is a lot better quality, the value of their washer and dryer to you is basically nothing. The seller may put a value on it from their side, but the real value is what YOU are willing to pay for it.

A general rule of thumb is what are they going for in the same used condition locally? that lets you know the max monetray cost of that item, although the value to you is soemthing else. Since there is not just a single washer dryer, range, microwave, etc and they run from cheap to super expensive, without knowing what make. model, age and condition they are in, nobody can answer your question.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 PM

108 posts, read 324,177 times
Default Extras - How much are they really worth when buying a home

I am looking at buying a home that is 60 + years old. The owner of the home is offering me the items listed below for free if I buy the home. The items listed below are already in the home and the owner says if I buy the home that they will just leave the items in the home for me to keep. I kind of get the idea though that the owner is justifying their asking price by including the items listed below.

Washer and Dryer
Refridgerator
Microwave
Miscellaneous Furniture (Worth about 200 Dollars)
Curtains
Oven Range

Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,023,459 times
Looking at Craig's List to see what people are asking for similar items is the way to go. Used stuff doesn't tend to have much value in my experience.

I'm surprised to read that the oven/range and microwave are on this list though. In my neck of the woods, those items typically convey with the house provided the microwave is the type that's installed.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,288,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post

It kind of seems to me like the owner is trying to justify the price of the home by offering to give these items to me for free if I buy the home.
Or they just don't want them. Maybe you are over thinking this.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 PM

26,831 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
I am looking at buying an older home. When I say older home I mean a home that is about 60 plus years old. The owner of the home is offering to give me the following items that are currently in the home if I buy the home.

Washer $100
Dryer $100
Refridgerator $100
Oven Range $100
Microwave $0
Miscellaneous furniture (Worth maybe 200 dollars) negative $200
Curtains on Windows negative $200
As to value...all in all it's a scratch.
But NONE of them qualify as "extra's"

Old 08-03-2012, 12:10 PM

491 posts, read 1,972,357 times
The range and microwave almost always come with the house, and the window treatments often do. As for the washer/dryer and fridge, they are a convenience since you won't have the expense of purchasing new appliances upon move-in. The furniture is probably not worth anything.

I would let them know that I expect the range and microwave to stay with the house. Whether or not you want to use the w/d and fridge as negotiating items is up to you. You can check replacement costs online at Home Depot.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:38 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,681,510 times
its worth whatever you could buy those things for used on craigslist. Usually window coverings are included. The seller probably doesn't need them at the next place and doesn't want to deal with disposing of or selling the items. Make your offer excluding those things. Then when you get down to the final negotiations if you want them ask for them. But until you're down to the final numbers, keep "things" out of the deal -- my advice FWIW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or