Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Are you testing well water? Radon? Mold? Inspecting a septic or running a camera to the public sewer? All of these things add up in addition to the general building inspection and can cost $700 plus. But it's the best $700 you might spend if you find repairs that the seller can make or pay you to make rather than the next buyer sticking you with it.
You're not saying running a camera through the sewer pipe is part of a normal home inspection, right? Because that certainly was not part of my home inspection and I wish it would have been. The home inspector said that stuff isn't part of the process. But no one ever recommended I should have it done, even though the house and sewer pipes are 50 years old. This is why I tell people to use their own independent (certified) home inspector and not one recommended by the selling agent(s). Maybe an independent inspector would have given me a heads-up that aging sewer pipes can be an issue -- a big, expensive issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
You're not saying running a camera through the sewer pipe is part of a normal home inspection, right? Because that certainly was not part of my home inspection and I wish it would have been. The home inspector said that stuff isn't part of the process. But no one ever recommended I should have it done, even though the house and sewer pipes are 50 years old. This is why I tell people to use their own independent (certified) home inspector and not one recommended by the selling agent(s). Maybe an independent inspector would have given me a heads-up that aging sewer pipes can be an issue -- a big, expensive issue.
Real Estate is local, so what is customary in my market may not be customary in yours. In my market, a sewer cam is extra, but since the home owner is responsible for the connection from the house to the street, finding out a problem here and having the seller fix it (or pay to have you fix it) is crucial. In parts of my city, Orangeburg pipe was used, which is deteriorating rapidly and needs to be replaced. Good agents (and inspectors) know where that is and can act accordingly to advise you before closing. You said "selling agent(s)," did you use the same agent as the seller did or did you have your own agent who could have recommended the sewer cam?

Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 AM

44,623 posts, read 61,603,272 times
$350.00-$400.00 is about the lowest inspection rate and it generally is only a cursory inspection. Cheapos do not inspect everything. The last cheapo we had missed some dangerous electical problems and a plumbing leak. He also missed 2 illegal outside electrical connections. He also wrote that he didn't inspect air systems or water softener systems. Our realtor recommended him while we were overseas and we had to have it done immediately otherwise we would have found a competent person if we were there. We complained when we returned and got a refund for the incompetent service.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Real Estate is local, so what is customary in my market may not be customary in yours. In my market, a sewer cam is extra, but since the home owner is responsible for the connection from the house to the street, finding out a problem here and having the seller fix it (or pay to have you fix it) is crucial. In parts of my city, Orangeburg pipe was used, which is deteriorating rapidly and needs to be replaced. Good agents (and inspectors) know where that is and can act accordingly to advise you before closing. You said "selling agent(s)," did you use the same agent as the seller did or did you have your own agent who could have recommended the sewer cam?
I had "an" agent who was from the same firm as the listing agent, so in essence they were both representing the Seller. I only found her because I sent an e-mail to the agency's website asking for a showing. She's the one who recommended the Home Inspector.

In this area, we have the same issue with the deteriorating clay pipes from the homes to the public sewer. Along with roots clogging them up. Some owners have had to have their lawns torn up and the pipes replaced -- at great expense. No one said Word One about this issue. I have never bought a home this old, and I thought a "home inspection" covered everything I would need to worry about. Even if he did not cover it in his inspection, it should have been mentioned to me as a possible concern, or the sewer-cam recommended as an extra-cost item. This is a true Lesson Learned for me -- that when you buy a home inspection, it doesn't necessarily give you ALL the data you need to make an informed decision. Or perhaps it would have been mentioned, had I used an inspector who wasn't a referral of the selling agent.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
I had "an" agent who was from the same firm as the listing agent, so in essence they were both representing the Seller. I only found her because I sent an e-mail to the agency's website asking for a showing. She's the one who recommended the Home Inspector.

In this area, we have the same issue with the deteriorating clay pipes from the homes to the public sewer. Along with roots clogging them up. Some owners have had to have their lawns torn up and the pipes replaced -- at great expense. No one said Word One about this issue. I have never bought a home this old, and I thought a "home inspection" covered everything I would need to worry about. Even if he did not cover it in his inspection, it should have been mentioned to me as a possible concern, or the sewer-cam recommended as an extra-cost item. This is a true Lesson Learned for me -- that when you buy a home inspection, it doesn't necessarily give you ALL the data you need to make an informed decision. Or perhaps it would have been mentioned, had I used an inspector who wasn't a referral of the selling agent.
I don't know. I recommend sewer scopes beyond a certain age to my clients before we offer, but I know the home inspector I recommend is vigilant about recommending them to home buyers that aren't my clients. He and I are on the same page about that. Sewer scopes out here are $175 and that is in addition to the home inspection, which doesn't include radon either. I feel bad for you that you weren't warned about that potentially huge expense.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:02 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Quote:

If the agency practices "appointed agency" where each client has their own appointed agent and not all agents represent the client, this relationship is not an issue. Just because agents share office space or work for the same company does not make both agents represent the seller. If you're working with a large office this is fairly common. I'm also friend with agents from other real estate companies, but when it comes to business, we put that aside and each works for his/her respective clients. I believe the agent who was "appointed" to you did not do a good job, but I would blame her and question her competence. Some of us are better than others and all agents on this site recommend that buyers and sellers interview more than one agent to find out who can do the best job. Very few of my clients have home inspectors that they know and they often ask me to either give them a list or have me pick one. The inspectors that I recommend are very thorough and they work for the buyer best interests. I can't imagine why an experienced inspector (and buyer agent) wouldn't recommend a sewer cam inspection on an older home.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
Unless you are looking at multiple houses, recent posts indicate that you are looking at a 75-year-old, 3000 sft house that is for sale by owner ... and are trying to avoid Realtor costs and now reduce inspection costs. Have you heard of the old axiom about being "penny-wise, but, pound foolish? --- It would seem to fit here! Instead of trying to save a few bucks on the inspection, go with the inspector and make sure that he inspects everything you can think of.

If you scrimp on the house inspection PRICE now and settle for a non-certified inspector or someone who doesn't inspect homes in the area on a regular basis .... the COST may be a lot higher than a pretty reasonable $350-$400 home inspection fee. (That's the whole point of paying for an inspection!)

Old 08-12-2012, 03:52 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
I am looking at possibly buying a home. It seems that all of the certified home inspectors want between 350 and 400 dollars.

Is there anyway I could get a home inspection at a cheaper price ?

Is there any kind of person maybe in the construction field who might not be a certified inspector but who might know how to inspect a home as good as or almost as good as a certified Home inspector ?

There has to be a person or persons out there who are not certified and can satisfactorily inspect a home and charge a reasonable price to inspect a home.
What State are you in and looking for an inspection? In many States the Inspectors are licensed and that would potentially have an affect on any answer. Licensing is different from "certified".

Irregardless of licensing you can certainly take your chances and have anyone you choose to inspect the home as long as you can get them past the system there to hep ensure unlicensed Inspectors are not inspecting homes. If you are successful in doing that in a licensed State and have issues later as a result then you are basically on your own to handle whatever occurs.

There are many excellent suggestions and pieces of advice already provided by others above. It all boils down to would you want someone working for near nothing (remember they have expenses as well) inspecting one of the largest purchases you will make?

I do have another question for you. What do you consider a reasonable price to inspect a large purchase such as a home?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
So you have no problem buying a Three Hundred Thousand Dollar home and want to skimp on $400 for an inspection? Why bother with any inspection at all? Just buy your cheap pig-in-a-poke and don't worry about the small stuff. New furnace, new plumbing, rotten septic, roof leaks, termites throughout house. Yeah, $400 is too much to know about these possibilities. Forget it, wing it.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't know. I recommend sewer scopes beyond a certain age to my clients before we offer, but I know the home inspector I recommend is vigilant about recommending them to home buyers that aren't my clients. He and I are on the same page about that. Sewer scopes out here are $175 and that is in addition to the home inspection, which doesn't include radon either. I feel bad for you that you weren't warned about that potentially huge expense.
I appreciate it. I feel bad for myself, too. I didn't get it done, but if the next buyer does, I'll be on the hook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate