Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:49 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,671,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadisssss View Post
My, it's amazing how civilized people really don't know how to deal with extreme scum and desperate situations. We have become so accustomed to behaving and dealing with things in a refined civilized manner (eg go form an HOA) it's almost ridiculous.

Vermin, be they human or insect, are most effectively treated in the same manner: eradication and stamping them out.

A more brute, but practical person (not I!), would just burn the house to the ground. Who's going to complain? The slumlord clearly doesn't already.

Love this one.
Yes, in the deep country, country (countryside justice) where people of the community still hunt the robbers with pitch forks & brooms (Taiwan countryside eg.)... maybe the community can get away with it... not so much in modern USA especially in suburbs.

BTW... HOA can never tell who a LL can rent or cannot out to (if renting is allowed in the clause)... especially when the rentor has backings from the government like section 8 people.
Government law will trump any HOA laws any day = Fact.

OP, nothing wrong in wanting the best for yourself & your family (& children).
Be it best schools, best home or best hood.

Its reflective of good to WANT GOODNESS or human "progress".

Its the reflection of others when they do not "want that goodness" but making excuses for the bad (thus reflecting what they really are) even when they know yes its bad, so that someone like you can be "just miserable" like them that you should watch out for.

The fox saying the grapes is sour... a very good lesson after all.
Afterall, that fox could be sympathic (like married to or related to) & or abusers themselves of that drug behaviour or even any unwanted behaviour....

Last edited by hueyeats; 09-01-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 12:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,671,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
besides, our homes are connected to one another, so burning theirs down would mean mine would go with it.....
So OP do you live in a townhome type scenario...
Don't they usually already have an HOA???

Still.. even with HOA, will not help you any.

Or is it like an older rowhome type housing???

Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM

739 posts, read 1,843,944 times
OP, Devion's responses seem a bit harsh but reflect on the futility of your situation. Terrible neighbors are nothing new. Thank goodness we have wonderful, peaceful and quiet ones. It can be the luck of the draw, however and getting the bad guys out can be nigh on impossible despite the evidence you have collected. It is a darn shame.

Perhaps the landlord hopes the house burns down. It might be cheaper for him to get insurance money than to restore the house once they do actually leave. They must be causing damage. My daughter's neighbors, who left in the middle of the night, left behind a house (also in an otherwise nice neighborhood) with the entire living room floor gutted out so they could put in pot plants, right down to the foundation. It was filled in with dirt and the pot plants grew under very bright lights. The landlady was last seen sitting on the front steps with her head in her hands as the Feds cleared out what was left.

So sorry for all your troubles. Good wishes for you in getting out of there unscathed, financially or otherwise.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:29 AM

18,754 posts, read 11,741,036 times
I'm a landlord and if a bunch of neighbors came to me and said that they were starting a class action lawsuit because of scumbag tenants I would definitely find it cheaper to find new tenants. I did something similar with a business that moved in down the street behind our house. They put up these rather obnoxious cooling systems for their freezer that buzzed throughout our houses and the neighborhood. The issue wasn't resolved by the village idiots that issued the permits so I emailed the mayor wanting to know if this was the businesses best effort to rectify the problem so we could go ahead and start a class action law suit. We were hit with minor code violations in retaliation and I threatened to contact the media. I also had a village meeting on tape where one of the village idiots was bragging about doing some wiring with out a permit. The mayor called a meeting with the residents and business owner and the business owner decided it was cheaper to fix the problem than pay us for the decrease in our property values. The class action law suit was financially impossible for the majority of the home owners on our block but the business owner didn't know that. Keep making the landlords life miserable to the point that the tenants won't be worth the aggravation. It would be nice if you could buy the property with a partner and manage it yourself. It would also be nice if you could think of legal ways to make the tenants uncomfortable enough to move. I feel very sorry for their children and hope they are removed from the household. I hope this situation is resolved soon. That is definitely a miserable way to live.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,128,882 times
I am also concerned about your family being used it seems by the folks that should be taking care of these situations. I personally would not feel comfortable continuing to document and build a case, since they aren't doing it themselves, or maybe they are and of course these are not things you'd be privy too. I think it puts your family at great risk to do so. I would consult an attorney and see if the position you have found yourselves in is something you should continue. I hope your housing situation gets resolved. Sell at a loss or just for what you owe...But get away from this situation asap.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,706,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm a landlord and if a bunch of neighbors came to me and said that they were starting a class action lawsuit because of scumbag tenants I would definitely find it cheaper to find new tenants. I did something similar with a business that moved in down the street behind our house. They put up these rather obnoxious cooling systems for their freezer that buzzed throughout our houses and the neighborhood. The issue wasn't resolved by the village idiots that issued the permits so I emailed the mayor wanting to know if this was the businesses best effort to rectify the problem so we could go ahead and start a class action law suit. We were hit with minor code violations in retaliation and I threatened to contact the media. I also had a village meeting on tape where one of the village idiots was bragging about doing some wiring with out a permit. The mayor called a meeting with the residents and business owner and the business owner decided it was cheaper to fix the problem than pay us for the decrease in our property values. The class action law suit was financially impossible for the majority of the home owners on our block but the business owner didn't know that. Keep making the landlords life miserable to the point that the tenants won't be worth the aggravation. It would be nice if you could buy the property with a partner and manage it yourself. It would also be nice if you could think of legal ways to make the tenants uncomfortable enough to move. I feel very sorry for their children and hope they are removed from the household. I hope this situation is resolved soon. That is definitely a miserable way to live.
I agree. We had a situation while building a spec home in N. CA years ago where the renters across the street and their delenquent son would come over after we left the job site and vandalize everything we had built that day. I found out that this woman and her brats were the terrorists of the whole neighborhood and had gone into the neighbors house and urinated all over the carpet and other horrible things, trashed their clothes and destroyed their furniture. They were already on thin ice with the landlord and I gently pushed his buttons and threatened to sue him. They were evicted after that. Not easy to deal with and stay out of jail yourself. Good luck to you.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:16 PM

445 posts, read 1,601,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I agree. We had a situation while building a spec home in N. CA years ago where the renters across the street and their delenquent son would come over after we left the job site and vandalize everything we had built that day. I found out that this woman and her brats were the terrorists of the whole neighborhood and had gone into the neighbors house and urinated all over the carpet and other horrible things, trashed their clothes and destroyed their furniture. They were already on thin ice with the landlord and I gently pushed his buttons and threatened to sue him. They were evicted after that. Not easy to deal with and stay out of jail yourself. Good luck to you.
Thanks for the reminder - as the house behind me was being built there were numerous DA (dumb a..) things that the city did not do ... I took it upon myself to run kids off that were playing around the open excavation after a very heavy rain... I found out that the one area was over 5 feet deep which would have resulted in a drowing had the smallest of the three kids decided to try to make the jump over the foundation excavation... ??? I am sure he would not been able to make it..

Now all I have to do is wait for fuzz head to get the dead, leaning, rotting tree cut down

Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,754,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
So OP do you live in a townhome type scenario...
Don't they usually already have an HOA???

Still.. even with HOA, will not help you any.

Or is it like an older rowhome type housing???
We are connected by our garages only. Not a townhome but what is considered a "semi-detached" home.

No HOA, older neighborhood about 45 years old, but still in a development.

Best school district in the state too. We bought this place for a good start for our children and hoping it would give us a good return when we were ready to move on.

Thank you to everyone for your concern and for your help. The cops were here twice this weekend and we were not the ones who called. Once they just showed up and knocked on the door when there was nothing going on that we could hear, and the second time my oldest son yelled downstairs (we were in our finished basement with the two younger kids) that the cops were next door becasue they were outside fighting again. Last night we heard the father yelling at the one son for stealing all of his money and his sister's jewelry and that he would "shoot" him if he ever did it again. Quick fight and the son drove off. Nothing happened after that.

Thank you all again. Will continue to keep you updated...

Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,128,882 times
Gads, a Reality Show in the making. Hang in there.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 PM

487 posts, read 1,355,266 times
Do you know if this rental is Section 8?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate