Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times

Advertisements

The listing said 3 full ba, 1 half bath. Upscale custom home subdivision. Master on first floor......all the granite and fancy kitchen cabinets, hardwoods, french doors, transoms, crown molding galor.......My realtor went out to preview.

The half ba - yes, powder room off the kitchen.

The master bath - well.. no. It wasn't a full bath at all. Two separate fancy sink cabinets, toilet in a w/c and a not too big corner shower. Not a spa shower, just a regular old tiled shower with glass door.

Upstairs - one full bath with two separate sink cabinets, toilet , regular bathtub with shower. The second upstairs bath was one sink, toilet and a small shower.

This is a market where a full bath.. is just that.. tub, shower, sink and toilet. And god help you if there are not two sinks in the master bath. Cookie cutter homes selling for thousands less in this market have at minimum a soaking tub in the masterbath, if not a whirlpool tub.

There were pictures in this new listing... even some pictures of the bathrooms - but you could not really tell what there really was. IMHO the listing agent did it on purpose hoping the other attributes of the home would sell the property.

My realtor did a little digging and found that the property had been up for sale 4 years ago and did not sell. Frankly, I'm not suprised..... not at this price point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,993,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You most certainly can.

So you walk a few steps to a sink to wash your hands. Big deal.

Space?
Having seen and used one at a friend's house, it was unsanitary. The sink used was in the kitchen, which was around the corner. Honestly the only thing they could fit in there was a toilet. I am not sure if it was an extra added or original to the house. I suspect a closet was converted to a bathroom cause there was another full bath room on that level not far from that location.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:46 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,993,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
The listing said 3 full ba, 1 half bath. Upscale custom home subdivision. Master on first floor......all the granite and fancy kitchen cabinets, hardwoods, french doors, transoms, crown molding galor.......My realtor went out to preview.

The half ba - yes, powder room off the kitchen.

The master bath - well.. no. It wasn't a full bath at all. Two separate fancy sink cabinets, toilet in a w/c and a not too big corner shower. Not a spa shower, just a regular old tiled shower with glass door.

Upstairs - one full bath with two separate sink cabinets, toilet , regular bathtub with shower. The second upstairs bath was one sink, toilet and a small shower.

This is a market where a full bath.. is just that.. tub, shower, sink and toilet. And god help you if there are not two sinks in the master bath. Cookie cutter homes selling for thousands less in this market have at minimum a soaking tub in the masterbath, if not a whirlpool tub.

There were pictures in this new listing... even some pictures of the bathrooms - but you could not really tell what there really was. IMHO the listing agent did it on purpose hoping the other attributes of the home would sell the property.

My realtor did a little digging and found that the property had been up for sale 4 years ago and did not sell. Frankly, I'm not suprised..... not at this price point.
And not with that description. I would be peveed expecting 3 full baths to find one full bath, Two 3/4 baths and one half bath. I tend to think a full bath must have at least a tub.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
The listing said 3 full ba, 1 half bath.
powder room off the kitchen. <- "powder room" is polite for 1/2 ba
The master bath... sink .. toilet and shower. <--3/4 ba (Many call it full enough)
Shower only in a Master Bath is most common.

Upstairs - one full bath... sink... toilet... ...tub with shower. <-Full Ba
The second upstairs bath was one sink, toilet and a small shower. <--3/4 ba

This is a market where a full bath.. is just that.. tub, shower, sink and toilet.
Apparently not.

Aside from McMansionland all four fixtures in one room isn't any sort of "norm" anywhere else either.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-19-2012 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Having seen and used one at a friend's house, it was unsanitary. The sink used was in the kitchen
How is that unsanitary? There's a place nearby to wash hands. That's all you need.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Apparently not.

Aside from McMansionland all four fixtures in one room isn't any sort of "norm" anywhere else either.
This custom subdivision is the high end of the market. 2007 built home. They're not what one would call McMansions as each house is of the late 1800's/early 1900's exterior style with all the mod con's of today on approporiate sized lots.

However, a 3.5 ft x 3.5 ft standard shower of a 1960's tract house tucked into the corner of a masterbath in a home listed at $800,000 doesn't cut it. What were they thinking? There's actually enough space for an approriate masterbath!

Every house I've seen in this subdivision has a separate whirlpool and oversized spa shower in the master bath; even the smaller homes with 1000 sf less.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:36 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
This custom subdivision is the high end of the market.
They're not what one would call McMansions... listed at $800,000
potAto potAHto

You're entitled to get what you want and can afford.
Just please don't assume that is what the rest of the world calls common.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
In my opinion,

Quarter Bath = No Such Thing?

Half Bath = Toilet & Sink

Three Quarter Bath = Shower, Toilet & Sink (although in my personal opinion, if it has a shower it's technically a 'full' bath)

Full Bath = Tub, Toilet, Shower, Sink

Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
Quote:
I think that's referred to as a Hollywood bath. As in primping in front of the mirror and not hogging the "business" side of the bathroom.
I had one of these in an apartment I lived in in St. Louis. Never knew what it was called though!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,641 times
Ok folks, what do you call a toilet and vanity sink just standing in a bedroom? They're in corners against the wall, but no surrounding walls at all. I have 2 bedrooms this way in this 100+ yr old house. I actually have 4 pottys and sinks, but only one true enclosed bathroom. The 4th is in a upstairs hallway, just outside 2 bedrooms. Just out in the open.

I was told a previous owner had a gaggle of kids, so thats why all this weirdness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate