Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It violates federal law to get cash back under the table like that. The law is the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act or RESPA.

The interest rates for the 203k rehab loans are still really good. I've done several this year and it is a great loan product. It isn't a loan on top of another loan. It is just one loan insured by FHA. It takes about 60 days to close them and work just needs to begin within 30 days. The types of things you are wanting to do are totally inline with the program.

True story from this year. My last rehab loan clients. I negotiated a great deal on a property for them. The property appraised 16% higher than our contract price as-is. They were maxing out the loan so doing $35k in remodel work. With the remodel work the property appraised for 46% higher than our contract price. If you play your cards right, you can get yourself into a nice equity situation.

I will take a look into this again.. from my experience FHA have crazy closing costs.. The house is very livable as is.. I was just hoping to get the work done and move in under one loan with cheap closing and a great interest rate... right now there a few conventional options for me where I am looking at 3.6%/30 and $2500 in closing with a mortgage company or 4%/30 and $125 for closing at a local bank Just looking to cut some corners I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I will take a look into this again.. from my experience FHA have crazy closing costs.. The house is very livable as is.. I was just hoping to get the work done and move in under one loan with cheap closing and a great interest rate... right now there a few conventional options for me where I am looking at 3.6%/30 and $2500 in closing with a mortgage company or 4%/30 and $125 for closing at a local bank Just looking to cut some corners I guess
Talk to your lender about the chances of a HELOC after closing. If there is that much equity, it may be possible.
Rates are great there, too.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Talk to your lender about the chances of a HELOC after closing. If there is that much equity, it may be possible.
Rates are great there, too.
Out here they are requiring 30% equity for a HELOC. What are you guys seeing?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,801 times
why wouldn't you try and go FHA 3.5% down?

that way you have some cash left over from the purchase to do the improvemnts you want. And you're not committing fraud.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
why wouldn't you try and go FHA 3.5% down?

that way you have some cash left over from the purchase to do the improvemnts you want. And you're not committing fraud.
Like I mention before FHA closing costs are stupid.. I guess if I was looking at MAJOR rehab it would be somthing I would consider but not spending 20-25k..

Right now at a local bank I am looking at 5% down and and 3.8% for 30 years... and oh did I mention the closing costs are only $125.. With such a cheap closing I can get the seller to pay closing costs toward my PMI in one lump sum..

Not to make the whole OP moot but I actually have the cash to do the work.. I am just trying to get as much as I can from the bank.. and was toying around with ideas of how I can do that.. cleary there is not LEGAL way to accomplish this and is it really worth the risk to try and do something Illegal... Probably not.. But in either case these interest rates are really good..

Old 08-18-2012, 10:37 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Like I mention before FHA closing costs are stupid.. I guess if I was looking at MAJOR rehab it would be somthing I would consider but not spending 20-25k..

Right now at a local bank I am looking at 5% down and and 3.8% for 30 years... and oh did I mention the closing costs are only $125.. With such a cheap closing I can get the seller to pay closing costs toward my PMI in one lump sum..

Not to make the whole OP moot but I actually have the cash to do the work.. I am just trying to get as much as I can from the bank.. and was toying around with ideas of how I can do that.. cleary there is not LEGAL way to accomplish this and is it really worth the risk to try and do something Illegal... Probably not.. But in either case these interest rates are really good..
So this lending institution is charging you $125 which includes the appraisal, daily interest for each day you are in possession of the property prior to the end of the month you close in, your credit report with 3 bureaus, flood certification, title search fees, lender's and owner's title insurance, recording charges at the local registry, and state of Maine transfer tax (based on the selling price of the property)? Call me a bit skeptical, but nobody gives away money and stays in business very long. You are paying for that somewhere.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:13 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
So this lending institution is charging you $125 which includes the appraisal, daily interest for each day you are in possession of the property prior to the end of the month you close in, your credit report with 3 bureaus, flood certification, title search fees, lender's and owner's title insurance, recording charges at the local registry, and state of Maine transfer tax (based on the selling price of the property)? Call me a bit skeptical, but nobody gives away money and stays in business very long. You are paying for that somewhere.
Yeah, his much higher rate of 3.8%.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:42 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Exactly. So pay (or have the seller pay) $6000 now or finance it over 30 years.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 PM

397 posts, read 613,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Exactly. So pay (or have the seller pay) $6000 now or finance it over 30 years.
Sometimes it makes sense to pay a higher rate (APR) in exchange for reduced or no closing costs. You have to crunch the #s and look at each scenario.

If you end up being the house for shorter period, or refinance, then it may be advantageous to pay a higher rate.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:58 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Yup it's all about that ROI - algebra 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate