Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,040 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I just recently put a offer in for a house that is in a very nice area in Portage, Michigan. The house was a great deal for the location and size, but there was one issue that I noticed that turned me off. The two support beams in the basement are not bolted down but are tightened using clamps. We have a home inspector coming out on Monday to check the house out. The sellers don't know anything about it and say it was like that when they moved in. Does this sound very bad? The house is relatively new as it was built in 2001. How can a house pass code with something like this? We can walk at anytime as the we have to be solely satisified with house inspection. Any feedback would be gladly appreciated and I will take pictures when I can get in the house again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
You haven't bought the house until closing. I assume you have a home inspection contingency; in this case make very sure you are satisified, if necessary bringing in a structural engineer.

I can't visualize it from your description.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
A structural engineer, not a foundation company, will give you an unbiased opinion. Mine in Texas cost $350 and was worth every penny.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:01 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
It would be difficult to comment without a picture or more information. When you are finished with the home inspection, and nothing else is there that makes you want to leave, then you might well want to have a licensed Structural Engineer review this item and the remainder of the structure for any issues. If what you are concerned with is an improper build or a repair for a previous issue then there might be a potential for other errors as well.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:01 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
A basic home inspector isn't going to satisfy you on whether or not the foundation is done properly. He'll only say it's "performing as intended". You need a foundation person like a structural engineer or a reputable foundation company who isn't known for fixing everything because they need money, and yes, there are plenty of those.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Does the house have a certificate of occupancy? You can always check with the town to see if this is an issue.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Obviously its not possible to give an opinion without at least a photo.
It might be as simple as installing the missing bolts.
It also could be a major structural issue.

The home inspector can look at it and give you an opinion. You may need to get a structural engineer, you may not.

Not all areas of the country have Building Departments, inspections, or any kind of code enforcement. There are many Counties in TN that only have a State electrical inspection, and a septic inspection. Of course, there are also Counties that have very good Building departments and inspectors.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDante View Post
Hello,
I just recently put a offer in for a house that is in a very nice area in Portage, Michigan. The house was a great deal for the location and size, but there was one issue that I noticed that turned me off. The two support beams in the basement are not bolted down but are tightened using clamps. We have a home inspector coming out on Monday to check the house out. The sellers don't know anything about it and say it was like that when they moved in. Does this sound very bad? The house is relatively new as it was built in 2001. How can a house pass code with something like this? We can walk at anytime as the we have to be solely satisified with house inspection. Any feedback would be gladly appreciated and I will take pictures when I can get in the house again.
I don't know much about homes with basements, but in Texas, a home on a pier/beam set up is usually not actually physically attached to the piers with any fasteners at all...the house is literally just built on top of the pilings - there is nothing holding it down other than its own weight.

When the ground shifts, a contractor comes in with a jack, lifts it up, shims it, and sets it back down.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
A home inspector may be able to give you an idea of if this is typical construction or not in your area. Personally, I don't think I've ever seen a support attached as you describe. In the end, for peace of mind, you may want to have a structural engineer come in for a look even if the home inspector says it's OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate