Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by venicebeachcalifornia View Post
It's not allowed if you accept the offer. The seller always gets the short end of the stick, especially in this slow buyer's market.

Take back up offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 AM

12 posts, read 18,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Because realtors aren't licensed home inspectors?

You can get a quote on "the obvious", but it's never the OBVIOUS that ends up costing the big $$.
No, it's because the majority of realtors are buzzards that only care about their commission.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by userABC123XYZ View Post
Awesome technique, Silverfall. Why don't all agents do this???
There is no way in HADES I would do this. Too much liability and a HUGE risk management issue.

Agents aren't home inspectors and should not act as such. Even if they were licensed as both it would be a huge conflict of interest. I will point out obvious things I see during showings, but always follow that by....YOU STILL NEED A PROFESSIONAL HOME INSPECTION.

Because if I miss something "obvious", I'm the one getting sued and rightly so for playing inspector. And I'm in no way qualified to be a home inspector.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by userABC123XYZ View Post
No, it's because the majority of realtors are buzzards that only care about their commission.
Please tell us about your occupation.

[s] a buzzard.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No it just means they didn't have an agent pointing out obvious issues. I've had a client walk twice over home inspection report after repair negotiations failed, in my 8 years as an agent. I just point out the obvious and we get quotes before we write an offer or we negotiate with those repairs in mind. That way they don't waste any money on home inspections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
There is no way in HADES I would do this. Too much liability and a HUGE risk management issue.

Agents aren't home inspectors and should not act as such. Even if they were licensed as both it would be a huge conflict of interest. I will point out obvious things I see during showings, but always follow that by....YOU STILL NEED A PROFESSIONAL HOME INSPECTION.

Because if I miss something "obvious", I'm the one getting sued and rightly so for playing inspector. And I'm in no way qualified to be a home inspector.
Interesting.
I believe as a fiduciary with a bit of knowledge about housing that I bear responsibility for protecting my clients' capital. I think I am responsible for pointing out obvious flaws in a home to clients, so that visible deal breakers are noted without the client coughing up several hundred dollars to have someone else cite the obvious.
One of the biggest complaints about agents is that they don't point out obvious issues, to the extent that it looks like they are covering up problems for a quick sale/paycheck.
Start running through $500--$800 per multiple failed transaction, and it adds up to a real burden. Often to people who can least afford it.

All that said, I don't see that Silverfall saying her clients do not have home inspections performed. I think she is saying that they don't waste money having a home inspector note obvious items that come as a surprise because the agent didn't try.

My clients never write an offer without knowing if the house has:
  • Masonite siding
  • Polybutylene water lines
  • Aluminum branch circuit wiring
  • Apollo heating system
Those are just the common, easy ones.
Yes, the home inspector cites stuff I don't see. I just try to make sure a client is not out thousands of dollars by the time they buy a house because I didn't even try.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
I find inspectors a useful adjunct in many transactions.

First they spot things I miss. Like attic crawling. I am far too old and big to do that. But I think it should be done on any home in this area. Maybe every tenth house we find a busted trust or one that has not be properly installed. Amazing how common that one is.

And they do things completely. They check every outlet. Pop every CFI. Figure out where the CFIs are. Open, close and lock every window. Open the furnace and assure an even blue field. Validate that we have reasonable temperature spreads on AC and Heat.

We generally do a thermograph inspection of all the walls particularly in the bathroom and kitchen. Often find leaks that would otherwise be difficult to discover.

And then they provide first level authority for things I am concerned about. I see a section of wall that does not quite match or is recently repainted. Inspector can generally figure a reason to force an explanation or to call in a heavy to explore.

They are very helpful in establishing credibility. I know perfectly well what normal stucco cracking looks like. But the client will always be happier when the inspector points out that it is normal.

And finally you end up with a punch list to organize a response.

I have a background that makes me very knowledgeable about certain classes of problems. But it works much better if I whisper to the inspector rather than point it out myself.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
There's not much you can do about buyers who are operating in bad faith. Unless you want to get into a protracted legal battle with them which will just tie up the sale of your home best to cut them loose asap.

In my area its not hard to get an inspector to show up within 24 hours and generate the report within the next 24 hours especially at this time of year when sales are slower. Not to mention that if the buyer accompanies the inspector, they are going to know anything major he finds at that time. I don't know if its common here, but the inspector our buyer used sat with both of us and went over his findings before he left.

I would shorten the contingency to whatever is doable for your area. A serious buyer who wants the house is not going to have a problem with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate