Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times

Advertisements

I know it's weird but that's always been my dream home if you will. I'd like to get a 2 or 3 story building, maybe 10K square feet and convert it into living space. With 3 floors, one could be a rental unit. The first floor could act as my office/fitness center/storage. I've always wanted a loft.

I'd love to do something like the above. Anyone have any experience with a project like this? Please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 PM

133 posts, read 175,315 times
No experience but it is on my list also. Actually got pretty close to buying an 8,000 sq ft school. Contract accepted and preliminary approval from city to convert to multifamily. But couldn't find a bank to do financing even with me putting 50% down. The problem is with the appraisals these days.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:49 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,332,410 times
OP, keep in mind that your local zoning may not allow you to convert a commercial building into a residential one without applying for a variance. It sounds like an interesting idea though.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
OP, keep in mind that your local zoning may not allow you to convert a commercial building into a residential one without applying for a variance. It sounds like an interesting idea though.
Thanks for the info. Zoning is something, I've been looking into. I hear "so-so" stories from others that tried to do it.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
After determining if zoning permits, I would hire an architect to help me design it and draw up the plans for a contractor, and get contractor bids for the work.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:11 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
We have a lot of lofts in our downtown area that were once commercial buildings, some very old. Most if not all of them were gutted to the bare shell and re-built inside. The City made them bring everything up to current code, including fire sprinklers.

They all were very high dollar renovations. There was also an old elementary school that was converted to condos.

I guess a lot would depend on the age of the properties, the size of the project, and how easy your local building and zoning departments are to work with, and of course the size of your wallet.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
We have a lot of lofts in our downtown area that were once commercial buildings, some very old. Most if not all of them were gutted to the bare shell and re-built inside. The City made them bring everything up to current code, including fire sprinklers.

They all were very high dollar renovations. There was also an old elementary school that was converted to condos.

I guess a lot would depend on the age of the properties, the size of the project, and how easy your local building and zoning departments are to work with, and of course the size of your wallet.

Thanks for the reply.

Is that in Ky or Tenn?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Also be aware that you really need to know what your buying as you can get stuck with a older builidng that just asbestos removal quickly add to cost doubling.Nothing for a amateur to mess with:IMO.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post

That is something many cities have doing for the past couple of decades in an attempt to re-vitalize the downtown districts. Typically there are special incentives offered to contractors to do such work. Much harder and expensive for the average consumer to do on their own.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Also be aware that you really need to know what your buying as you can get stuck with a older builidng that just asbestos removal quickly add to cost doubling.Nothing for a amateur to mess with:IMO.

You must be an Amateur? Sorry about your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate