Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times

Advertisements

I usually give the seller a break on the commission if I represent both sides of the transaction, not charge more.

For the OP: While I'm sure you live in a place where there are plenty of agents, if you want your listing agent to do the best job in marketing, telling him upfront that there's no chance he can participate in the selling side of the transaction is a huge disincentive in my opinion.

The whole point in advertising and marketing is to produce a buyer for a property. What is the agent supposed to do if his sign out front, his internet advertising or his print advertising gets a potential buyer to contact him? Tell the guy to go talk to someone else?

I wouldn't take a listing like that personally. We have a form that discloses that the agency is permitted to represent more than one buyer and seller. I include it with every listing I take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 PM

311 posts, read 634,341 times
Thanks for the responses.

I just don't want to be pushed into accepting an offer that could be better.

I've seen lots of posts here on how to pick an agent so I will definitely be re-reading those when the time comes.

Both times we've bought real estate we used the sellers agent. One time went really well the other time not so much. Of course I've learned along the way also.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Agent bonus's actually do very little to cause a Buyer to buy a home.
I've known agents that can sell popsicles to Eskimos. Money means EVERYTHING to the type of person that is incentivized by money. Many buyers can be talked into buying a certain house by a slick salesperson. If you dont think this is true, your much too honest.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
While your concern is very real. As a Realtor, I wish we could do more to live to the definition of our business. The very definition of "Broker" is "one who brings buyers and sellers together." A great agent is exactly that. We are one that represents the closing. We work to find the common ground that leaves both the buyer and seller a bit unhappy but certainly satisfied.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
If you dont think this is true, your much too honest.
I guess I'm nonplussed by the concept of being too honest. Either you are naive or far too cynical.

What a lot of people think when they see this in a money is everything scenario, is the difference between a 3% of some number versus the personal satisfaction of doing well by one's clients.

A $10K difference in a transaction means a $300 difference in an agents gross commission (minus splits et cetera) I'm sure I know agents that would be adding that up in their head, but I think (hope) most of them no longer practice.

Today a client who just bought a home from me told me that the furnace didn't pass a test by the propane company. (It wasn't an obvious thing that an inspector would find) She wanted to find out how to make a home owner warranty claim. Rather than subject her to that horrible process, I told her to have the local HVAC guy come out and fix the problem and I would pay for it. $150 for him to come out and tighten up a connection. Not to point out how I think business is done around my area, but to demonstrate that doing the right thing by a client is by far the best business model anyone could aspire to.

Naive? Cynical? Money motivated? You Decide.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
If you dont think this is true, your much too honest.
Thank you, I am and believe almost every agent who plans on staying in business is much too honest also. There are a few less than honest long term agents around but they are in the minority.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 PM

397 posts, read 613,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bound View Post
We plan to list our house next spring.

Can we ask the agent we pick to only be a seller agent for us and not also be the buyers agent?

Of course that might now work well if the agent has buyers that were with them prior to listing our house and those buyers are interested.

I think I just worry that our agent wouldn't be as "loyal" to us if they were in the middle.
Tough question. There are pros and cons of DA. If your listing broker is a major player, you may not want to exclude buyers coming thru this channel.

If you allow DA, remember that your agent will no longer be working for your best interest. The agency will also be getting double the commission. I would negotiate a discount on commission if DA arises.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
Tough question. There are pros and cons of DA. If your listing broker is a major player, you may not want to exclude buyers coming thru this channel.

If you allow DA, remember that your agent will no longer be working for your best interest. The agency will also be getting double the commission. I would negotiate a discount on commission if DA arises.
Dual agency requires both seller and buyer to agree.

They both need to know that the agent must, as a dual agent, not advocate for either side, and that there are conflicts in the fiduciary duties. In Arizona, these conflicts are spelled out in the Dual Agency Disclosure and Election, that both buyer and seller must sign to agree.

The listing agreement states the amount that the seller will pay the listing agent for selling the home. The listing agent will discuss the amount the buyers agent should be offered, and the seller and agent have to have mutual agreement.

In the event the buyer and seller agree to dual agency, then the full commission goes to the listing agent. Waiting until that situation arises and then attempt to renegotiate the listing agreement is not advisable.

The time to negotiate a variable rate dual agency commission in the case of dual agency, is up front while negotiating the listing agreement.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 AM

397 posts, read 613,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Dual agency requires both seller and buyer to agree.

They both need to know that the agent must, as a dual agent, not advocate for either side, and that there are conflicts in the fiduciary duties. In Arizona, these conflicts are spelled out in the Dual Agency Disclosure and Election, that both buyer and seller must sign to agree.

The listing agreement states the amount that the seller will pay the listing agent for selling the home. The listing agent will discuss the amount the buyers agent should be offered, and the seller and agent have to have mutual agreement.

In the event the buyer and seller agree to dual agency, then the full commission goes to the listing agent. Waiting until that situation arises and then attempt to renegotiate the listing agreement is not advisable.

The time to negotiate a variable rate dual agency commission in the case of dual agency, is up front while negotiating the listing agreement.
Captain, where did I ever mention anything about "waiting"?

Would negotiate the DA commission rebate at the time the LA is signed, not when the DA arises.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
A $10K difference in a transaction means a $300 difference in an agents gross commission (minus splits et cetera)
Correct. That is why a cash bonus, unrelated to the sale price, is a higher incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate