Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I spent $100 for a local real estate attorney to look at my last contract and offer me a few suggestions. If you dont have $100, you shouldn't be buying a house.
Exactly, I spent ~$550 (Attorney was also title guy and gave was cheaper than the bank, so it was basically free).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 AM

32 posts, read 36,116 times
Wish I was where you are .... it can cost several hundred just to speak to someone around here much less get them to look at anything and offer suggestions.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmrober View Post
Wish I was where you are .... it can cost several hundred just to speak to someone around here much less get them to look at anything and offer suggestions.
And I say the same thing to you. If you cant afford $400 lawyer, you cant afford to buy a house.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Last attorney I looked in to wasn't only $100. Sorry if I don't necessarily agree.
And how's that working out for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Exactly, I spent ~$550
(Attorney was also title guy and gave was cheaper than the bank, so it was basically free).
That's about right. Money well spent.

rober: Get a lawyer to fix this mess promptly.
Keep them for any future purchases.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
We were discussing it as we were going over the forms and from what I read I thought we were covered.
If you get sick, you go to a professional, a doctor.
If you are presented with a contract, you go to a professional, a lawyer.

You wouldn't try to remove your own gall bladder, why would you pretend to understand a legal contract?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
And I say the same thing to you. If you cant afford $400 lawyer, you cant afford to buy a house.

I'm guessing you aren't understanding or I didn't express it well. That would be just for the phone conversation or initial meeting. It would cost A LOT more to actually get someone to look everything over. If we can afford two mortgages (apparently), we obviously wouldn't have had a problem with $400 (an amount I didn't mention).

Like I mentioned, I'm sorry I don't necessarily agree that when purchasing a new home that my first thing would be to run out and get an attorney. Based on our history with her we had no reason to feel otherwise.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Wow, and here I thought I was on a helpful understanding forum. I've done a lot of reading on here and felt that I could get some sound advice.

We are already past the point of "getting an attorney" to start. Throwing those statements around at this point unfortunately doesn't help and as I've stated I don't necessarily agree.

My issue is how to proceed from here. Talking to her supervising broker sounds like a good start.

Thanks for all the comments!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
That would be just for the phone conversation or initial meeting. It would cost A LOT more to actually get someone to look everything over.
Look, you only need an attorney if you dont understand what your reading.

There is no set cost. Lawyer rates are negotiable. Shop around. Many times I just scan paperwork to a PDF and send it to my lawyer for pre-negotiated rates. No need to setup an appointment or show up to the office. You can easily setup a relationship with a good lawyer for reasonable rates.

They dont even need to be in your city. They can be anywhere, but I recommend staying within your state.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
We were discussing it as we were going over the forms and from what I read I thought we were covered. According to her now we aren't.
What did you read that made you think you were covered?

Did it state somewhere that "this contract is contingent on the seller selling their home"?

Did your agent show you that language?

Did you place your initial on each page, indicating that you read that page?

Those are questions the agent's supervising broker will most likely ask. The broker will need to determine if the agent made an error, and/or if the error was on your part; or if both of you made an error.

People have been trying to be helpful to you here, but apparently you are not hearing what you want to hear, and interpret that as not being helpful.

You were advised to gather all the emails and written notes between you and your agent so you can prove you told her to add the contingency.

It is not too late to speak with an attorney
. At this point, if the broker does not agree with you, then the attorney will be very helpful because s/he will probably ask you some of the same questions about reading the contract, and getting supporting documents that has been mentioned here.

The attorney needs to be a "real estate" attorney.

We are all trying to help.

Last edited by Captain Bill; 09-07-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
So everyone is pounding the OP.
Maybe the OP had a lapse, but thank goodness the OP engaged a professional buyers agent to prevent that from happening!

Where I work, the licensee is held to a higher standard than the OP and to "forget" a form pretty much makes it an open and shut case.

OP should be addressing the firm management about the forgetfulness, unless the agent can provide agreeable adjustments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate