Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM

63 posts, read 220,481 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a house built in 2007 which looks atleast to me to be in great shape.

Was talking to a coworker about it and he mentioned that he would NEVER buy a house built during the bubble (2003 - 2007)? I asked him why and his rationale was that they built houses so quick during that time to cash in that they must've missed a few steps.

I know this is only his observation, but does anyone on the board feel this has any merit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 12:31 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,082,930 times
No. Some builders are good some bad and year built isn't the thing to go by. Home inspection will tell you more than the year built will.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
That just seems silly. Get the house inpsected like you would any house.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,617,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry80 View Post
I am interested in a house built in 2007 which looks atleast to me to be in great shape.

Was talking to a coworker about it and he mentioned that he would NEVER buy a house built during the bubble (2003 - 2007)? I asked him why and his rationale was that they built houses so quick during that time to cash in that they must've missed a few steps.

I know this is only his observation, but does anyone on the board feel this has any merit?

Might it be your friend cannot afford what you are looking at buying?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,698,016 times
Or it sounds like your friend bought a new house during that period and had a bad experience so of course "all" houses built during that time are now bad?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 PM

9,122 posts, read 14,664,501 times
Before the bubble there were still deadlines, competition from other neighborhoods and pressures to do it cheaper (and getting done faster=cheaper due to less interest and overhead). So there has always been reasons for some builders to cut corners.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 PM

63 posts, read 220,481 times
Definitely could be all of the above but I did think it was an interesting observation at the very least.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
Default Let me be very blunt, your co-worker is a dolt.

Maybe if there was some qualification, like "tract built homes / low priced subdivisions / homes built in areas with lax inspection procedures should be avoided" OR basically anything that based on logic / facts MIGHT be worth considering but there is no serious way to deal with randomn conjecture like "they must've missed a few steps".

Honestly, there is flat out NO CORRELATION between speed & quality -- I have seen homes that went from excavation / foundation to fully occupied in under 90 days that are of superb quality and those that dragged on for over a year that are utter junk. What matters is the choice of materials, the skill of workers that used the materials and proper techniques.

There are undoubtedly a large number of homes of EVERY age that were NOT built with high quality materials by folks who knew what they were doing and the way to avoid such poorly built homes involves a lot more than merel looking at when it was built...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry80 View Post

Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,593,417 times
Unless the neighborhood you are looking, used the same builder and has has the reputation of poor quality homes, I dont see an issue. Every home is unique. Some builders do a good, some do not.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,883,785 times
If the house was properly inspected during construction it should be fine. Which doesn't mean anything. A GOOD home inspector can tell you if the place is quality or not. The main thing I'd watch for in the time period is the bad Chinese drywall though as I recall that was mostly limited to certain areas, also with newer construction make sure what your roofing is made of. Cheap singles? Tile, some only looks like tile but is actually plastic composite. Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate