Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bound View Post
What if you are acting as a dual agent? How would you handle it then?
I never act as a dual agent so I don't worry about it. Agents at my company have to agree to not be dual agents. My company is a bit different in that agents are all principal brokers so we can work in-house together without dual agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Depends on the market and the home.

No matter what, be polite and cordial, thankful for the offer. Not "insulted".

Sometimes it's best for a seller to just say "thanks, but no thanks". No counter. And then I explain to the agent that the offer is so far below the home value that the seller is not willing to counter because we don't know if the buyer is just out fishing or what.

Other times, we "counter" just a smidgen below list price. A token amount below, and try to start a conversation. I've seen low offers come up pretty quick.

Rarely, and I don't advise this, but if the seller is highly motivated, we just jump to seller's bottom line and make a "take it or leave it" counter. I don't like this approach, but it can in fact be the right move in certain limited situtations. Generally though, I think it's dumb for a seller to reveal bottom dollar just because a low offer is made.

When sending a low offer for a buyer, I just try to be honest with the listing agent. "We know this is below market. The buyer is looking for a good value, but is able to offer a quick close, no repairs, and any other terms, such as a lease-back, that your seller may value more than a higher price". Sometime timing and terms are in fact more valuable to a seller than a higher price, and it's important to know that.

Steve

Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
I was pretty offended by a low ball 15% below list price. I had priced $2-3 sqaure foot higher than the selling price as the previously closed within the past 90 days. These were recent comps I priced my home. All these homes closed already.

I didn't give myself very little wiggle room. But in the end the buyer went up on their offer to 97% of my list price. I sold home in 33 days. I knew I was priced competitively plus we had the bigger corner lot.

So I almost didn't even want to counter the low ball offer. But as my realtor said. "it just opens up negotiations". And in the end glad I took her advice.

Am offer is an offer. Counter it.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Sometimes it's best for a seller to just say "thanks, but no thanks". No counter.

And then I explain to the agent that the offer is so far below the home value that the seller is
not willing to counter because we don't know if the buyer is just out fishing or what.
When the OBJECTIVE facts can support this... fine.
The question (as I'm reading it) is about when the objective facts do NOT support that.
iow: a horse of a different color.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
Countering the offer will tell you whether you're dealing with tire kickers or serious buyers. If they don't counter, you'll know they weren't serious in the first place. If they do, let the negotiations continue, hopefully to a successful deal.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I was pretty offended by a low ball 15% below list price. I had priced $2-3 sqaure foot higher than the selling price as the previously closed within the past 90 days. These were recent comps I priced my home. All these homes closed already.

I didn't give myself very little wiggle room. But in the end the buyer went up on their offer to 97% of my list price. I sold home in 33 days. I knew I was priced competitively plus we had the bigger corner lot.

So I almost didn't even want to counter the low ball offer. But as my realtor said. "it just opens up negotiations". And in the end glad I took her advice.

Am offer is an offer. Counter it.
Smart agent.

And a good decision on your part to go along.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
What do you listing agents advise your sellers when a lowball is received? I often see sellers not counter an offer they consider too low. My take is that every offer is an invitation to begin negotiations unless the buyer stated "take it or leave it". I have been involved in sales that started with a crazy lowball offer but ultimately landed at a much higher price. Unless the asking price is "not a penny less" is it ever in a seller's best interest to simply ignore a low offer?
Any offer is just a starting point for negotiations.

Ignore an offer if you don't really want to sell

Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
I think it depends on what you consider a lowball offer. I had a listing a couple of months ago that was about $200k and an offer came in for $56k. Is that a serious offer? Is that even a "starting point"? No, that offer didn't require a counter of any kind.

Then, there are sellers that think anything below $5k off their asking is a lowball. That is where it's the agent's job to help the seller understand what is going on and to help them with their counter response back.

Unless the offer is completely and totally off base, a seller should respond to every offer.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
reduce your price $100 and counter

Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Look at it as a bouncing ball. Back and forth - offer, counter-offer.

As long as the ball is still bouncing, you are still in the game.

There is no reason to immediately stop the bouncing just because you didn't like the first bounce. You dont know what the others will look like.

Also keep in mind the first bounces are usually larger, then they get smaller and smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate