Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 AM

22 posts, read 75,113 times

Advertisements

When you are buying or selling a house and the current owner has run speaker wires through the walls for their surround sound system, is it typically assumed that will stay or go? Not sure if it matters or note, but the wiring in this instance came with the the system (boise). It isn't mandatory that the wires be run through the walls, but it was how it's frequently done. It's not a house that was prewired for surround sound.

This became an issue for us in a recent sale/purchase and wanted real estate professional's thoughts to avoid any misunderstandings in the future.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 11:44 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
Are the wires on the inside or the outside of the walls? If they are inside, I would say the wiring stays. Outside, the wires and speakers can go, BUT the little piece that's typically used to attach the speakers to the wall should stay. Removing this piece could result in damage to the wall. Just one opinion.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:28 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,055 times
if it is a fixture it stays. So, if the wiring is in the walls, it stays (unless stated before hand in the contract or listing). If the wiring is hanging on the outside (not stapled or affixed to the wall) it can be taken. Agree with rrah, the speakers can go, but the part affixed to the wall must stay.

shelly

Old 10-06-2007, 05:57 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,163 times
I have often seen it listed as the the wiring stays with the house but the speakers are going with the sellers. I usually ask for it on the contract for my buyers if it is not specified. I would consider the wires within the walls the same as other wires inside the walls and should remain. Speakers are 50/50 but to make the deal work most sellers are willing to let them go!

Old 10-06-2007, 09:40 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,941,024 times
IMO, if the listing sheet make any reference whatsoever to the wiring, it should stay. Not as a negotiable item, but as a fixture. Maybe make the speakers negotiable, but wiring should stay.

If someone (a seller, I would imagine) is insistent that the wiring doesn't stay, it should be removed and holes patched and painted before going on the market.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 AM

21 posts, read 83,796 times
Default Bump

We're getting ready to close on a house that is professionally wired for surround sound (4 speakers bolted to the wall, in-wall wiring, and a separate floor speaker). We like the system and, because the sellers did not exclude it from the contract, we assumed it came with the house.

Yesterday, their listing agent contacted us because the sellers "forgot to exclude the speakers" and are requesting to take them and patch up any holes. We've already made a few allowances on things not pre-specified in the contract, however we are inclined to keep the speakers.

So... I'm hesitant to say "no" for a few reasons: 1) We feel we're getting a fair price on the house (~83% of original list price after 4 months in a declining market). 2) The sellers have been very accommodating with our needed move in date, and 3) they have agreed to make all requested repairs at the their own expense (~$2k).

Your opinions please! Stick to our guns? Offer to buy the speakers? Should the listing agent--who forgot to ask the sellers whether the speakers stay or go--buy them?

Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM

93 posts, read 438,676 times
It's just speakers. If you like the house, don't let speakers ruin the deal - you can go to any Bose outlet and get new ones.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:30 AM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Are they requesting to take just the speakers or the wiring? The wiring clearly has to stay, just like the cable wires do.

What is attached to the wires is debatable as a fixture or not. I would consider the speakers themselves personal property like a television unless they are mounted in the wall directly (you know the kind that are embedded in the wall, then they are a fixture).

I know I walk through the house and ask about sentimental light fixtures, etc before listing. How they are mounted matters, IMO.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM

21 posts, read 83,796 times
CSPhillips, the speakers are definitely not a deal breaker for us, but we'd like to save the time and expense of buying and installing new ones.

Silverfall, I believe the speakers are attached to mountings bolted to the wall. Their offer to patch up where the speakers are mounted suggests they want to take speakers and wiring? Perhaps the compromise will be to leave the mountings and wiring in place. It's good that you thoroughly prepare your sellers re: fixtures, etc... before listing.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,490 times
In my opinion wires stay (they are in the wall already), speakers can stay or go - we took our speakers with us when we moved - they are easy enough to replace and you want something that will work with your system - our speakers were specific to our surround sound system so we would have had to leave the entire system which we did not want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate