Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Because, no family member has ever "borrowed" prescription drugs from another family member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Don't exactly follow what you are I saying. ...
Implying that there are family members in some families that may also be inclined to steal even from their own family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
So would you actually follow around potential buyers to every room? What if it was a couple and they were looking at different rooms? Would you tell them they need to be together and only in the rooms you are in?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Don't exactly follow what you are I saying. Considering there was only one person living in my house (me), and a little dog, which doesn't have an opposable thumb to open the bottle, there was no 'borrowing'. My point was (ever since I first started looking at buying houses about 10 years ago, and the realtors would just let us run free-for-all through the house, I started inisisting on being present for the showings of the houses I owned. I figured (just a few years ago) it would be ok for me not to be present for a realtor-only showing, when the theft occurred. I was wrong.
Locking everything up is a good idea, but was only practical in one case for me, when I had already purchased another place to live and just moved the valuable stuff. In this last case, it would have been utterly impractical to move all the stuff to a storage unit, and then later move it again.

What do I do? RFID everything? Geez.

Shouldn't this have been addressed say about ten years ago.
What brought this up?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Implying that there are family members in some families that may also be inclined to steal even from their own family.
This. I wasn't implying that that was the case here. Just an opportunity to comment on the times I've seen innocent people blamed for something done by someone much closer to the victim who is above suspicion because of relationship. Also, before we throw all the attending Realtors under the bus, consider how easy it would be to crash broker open houses pretending to be an agent (oops, forgot my cards) and take advantage of the crowd to case the joint and take any target of opportunity. Accusations without proof are dangerous to all involved.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Shouldn't this have been addressed say about ten years ago.
What brought this up?
If you go back and re-read my posts, the 10-year-ago event occurred when I was purchasing a property, and the realtors let us just have free roam of the house. Figuring that if they would do that with us, they would do it with any random person going for a showing. When I was selling (just a couple years ago), in a moment of trusting the brokers and not being present, that was when things disappeared. Possibly pure coincidence, but doubtful.

Regardless of timeframe, how can this be 'addressed'? At least now in the houses I have cameras.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
If you go back and re-read my posts, the 10-year-ago event occurred when I was purchasing a property, and the realtors let us just have free roam of the house. Figuring that if they would do that with us, they would do it with any random person going for a showing. When I was selling (just a couple years ago), in a moment of trusting the brokers and not being present, that was when things disappeared. Possibly pure coincidence, but doubtful.

Regardless of timeframe, how can this be 'addressed'? At least now in the houses I have cameras.
I've often wondered how FSBOs handle their showings safely. Do they just let any stranger into their home who calls off the Craigslist ad or who shows up at the front door because of the sign in the yard? As troublesome as it is with Realtors and their clients, seems really sketchy for those going it alone and trusting their gut on who to let in and how to assure their own safety.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Regardless of timeframe, how can this be 'addressed'?
Hide your meds.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:

Ok then going forward I would suggest that when you are selling one of your many homes scattered around the world I would:

1. Hide any and all narcotics.
2. Hire a hire priced lawyer.

That should be a start to addressing this pressing problem that has been bothering you for the last ten years.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Ok then going forward I would suggest that when you are selling one of your many homes scattered around the world I would:

1. Hide any and all narcotics.
2. Hire a hire priced lawyer.

That should be a start to addressing this pressing problem that has been bothering you for the last ten years.
First;

1). Narcotics was just an example. Anything relatively small can go right in someone's pocket. A nice small Van Briggle vase, taken from a display case, fits nicely in someone's pocket. So just hiding one thing only addresses one tiny issue. Would have to hide everything that is relatively small and valuable. That means time for a storage unit. Places work on me due to the unethical behavior of so-called professionals.

2). When it is on DVR, not much of a need for a lawyer.

3). It is not so 'pressing', except when I go to sell a house, every few years.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 AM

Your concerns apply to every single person that may enter your house. The plumber, electrician, neighbors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate