U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,521 times

Advertisements

Based on numbers from the Real Estate Staging Association, professional home staging can save up to 72% days on market. The National Association of Realtors has said sales are 5-15% more for professionally staged homes.

For $2300 what you are paying for is EXPERT preparation, furniture, artwork, and any other items quoted to you. Can you go to your local Aarons Rents and just rent furniture? Probably. Will it be as effective? Probably not. The WHY has everything to do with understanding that professional home staging isn't about the stuff, it's about the psychology. Effective home staging controls a buyers eye through the home so that they focus on the features and benefits and imagine themselves living in the home. While showcasing layouts, size, and scale are important, the most important thing a qualified professional will do is to understand and target the demographic of the most likely potential buyer. If you don't know precisely how to do that, then what you should ask is how much will it cost you if it's not done right?

In my area of the country, as with many others now, the markets are shifting to a seller's market due to lack of inventory, just as you stated. Still there are lovely homes that sit for six months or more. There are properties that take tens of thousands of dollars in price cuts. Why? Because buyers don't relate to them.

What's your $2300 worth? What will you get back in return? The answer is likely a whole lot more than furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 04:26 PM

10,158 posts, read 10,454,683 times
Quote:
Did your real estate agent push you to hire their home stager?
Yes, but I told her to forget it unless she was willing to foot the bill.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 AM

6,069 posts, read 12,618,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
The issue I would have if the stager pays the agency a kickback or referral fee and is inflating their fee to me to recover that cost. Then you also wonder whether the stager was hired for their superior skill or the kickback.

If you ask your agent specifically of any referral fee arrangements or co-ownership links with their agency, they are suppose to disclose that information to you...
Agents are required to disclose if they receive a payment from some one else.

I don't know of any agents who would take a referral fee from a vendor because even if it were disclosed it could, in my opinion, be a conflict of interest. Agents should only refer vendors on the basis of the vendors performance.

If a seller or buyer is concerned that the agent may be referring someone on the basis of referral fee, then certainly they should ask.

I have never had a contractor, home or pest inspector, or any other of the normal vendors a client will need, offer me a referral fee.

I have had over a dozen solicitation calls from security alarm systems offering a referral fee for sending them a lead. My answer is always the same.

"I don't know you, and don't know your reputation. I only refer vendors with whom I have a history, and on the basis of their performance with my clients; and I do not accept vendor referral fees or kickbacks".

Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 AM

15,587 posts, read 23,693,935 times
$2300? I staged my home myself before the agent came to look at it and the house sold in 2 weeks.

It's not rocket science. Seriously. The hardest thing for a seller to do is look at their house and admit what looks crappy, but you need to do it. Be honest with yourself and you can get it done.

I do agree with silverfall, though - most people are really bad when it comes to color.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,057,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Marro View Post
There are properties that take tens of thousands of dollars in price cuts. Why? Because buyers don't relate to them.
It certainly couldn't be because they are overpriced by tens of thousands of dollars.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM

31,055 posts, read 56,889,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Marro View Post
Based on numbers from the Real Estate Staging Association.
Sounds like you lifted your entire post from this "association" as well.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM

9,797 posts, read 15,795,056 times
Any consultant who wants that kind of money should have references at the ready. Tell the Realtor you want to look at houses currently on the market using that stager (talk to the sellers) and the names and current phone #s of sellers who used her services.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:42 PM

3,404 posts, read 4,112,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm not sure under what circumstances I would pay a stager $2,300, but I can't think of any at the moment.
What a rip off, was my first reaction. I'm not big on staging and what could possibly cost that much and be worth it? If the house is nice, clean and uncluttered it's really enough. I also think smell matters more than people think it does.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM

13,575 posts, read 13,356,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I typically walk through a home with sellers and make suggestions...de-clutter, de-personalize...
That's what our agent did and we followed her advice, even though I couldn't understand why a discriminating buyer couldn't see beyond the photos on the wall and some of the knick-knacks. She also told us to put the extra dining room chairs away and move the sofa in the living room. She sold our house in 10 days. If it had sat on the market for weeks, we might have considered a stager (but $2,300 seems high).

Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM

2,164 posts, read 5,722,098 times
I never had a client hire a stager. I suggest to clients what they should do to make their home more attractive to buyers, and they usually listen if the changes are affordable. Sometimes I offer to go to stores with them to help, but no one has taken me up on that offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or