Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM

123 posts, read 288,118 times

Advertisements

Hi forum,

I'm trying to buy property in a very competitive market. I finally found a place I like and it is a Homepath property. I wanted to offer asking for the property because there are no comps to help come up with an offer amount. But, I was told that if the house doesn't appraise (I'll be obtaining a conventional loan not a Homepath mortgage loan), I would lose my earnest money. So I didn't offer. Needless to say, I'm disappointed! Anyone have any insight? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,953,955 times
Well, it all depends on your contract. Typically you have a financing contingency, if the home doesn't appraise then you can't get the financing you noted in your offer, so you could have an out without losing your deposit. THere are a lot of IFs here and the offer contract and addendum you sign should spell out all the contingencies.

In this competitive market, many sellers are adding specifics about appraisals that state the buyer cannot use the appraisal (within a certain tolerance) to cancel due to financing. In this case, you have to be willing and able to come up with the cash for the difference in the loan amount allowed per the appraisal and your offer price.

Once again, it all gets back to the contract. Your agent should be able to print out the standard Fannie Mae addendum off their web site so you can read if this specific clause applies. Is this what your agent told you (or a friend?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate