U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 PM

13,541 posts, read 30,441,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Ok somewhat clearer now.

Did they ever show you the house you first called about?

As far as the rest of the story there aren't any agents that can control what a seller will do. It didn't work out, but unless they refused to show you that first house I don't see what it so wrong with what happened. Not all offers work into a deal.
The basic gist is that they didn't trust the agent. I mean that really is the bottom line here.

A consumer stated on here that their agent did the same thing and showed them a higher priced home but negotiated it down to their price range. That's what happens when you trust that you have a good agent on your side. I have personally done that for my own clients.

The OP's agent could be great or they could be slimy. Hard to tell but it doesn't matter because the consumer doesn't trust the agent and that is all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,923,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, what is this game called in the real estate world? We gave the our realtor a set amount that we could pay in cash for a house, set, make a point this was it. We asked to see a house that was close in price to what we were going to pay out for a house but we weren't sure about it so the realtor suggested another property that was higher. I had saw the higher priced property but not paid any attention because I did not believe the owner would probably go down enough unless he was pressed to sell but our realtor said we should look at it because they thought he might go down to our price. Well, we looked twice and made a verbal offer and he countered, too high not even in the middle area but high. So, now they want us to get it all in writing with an earnest deposit and put it forth anyway. Was going to do it but I don't really trust the agency now since it looks like a "game" and we don't have time for a "game" since we need a home because ours sold almost 4 months ago. The offer we made was just a little over the county appraised value and they seem to be about right on the mark since I have looked through the records and asking prices of homes in the area. So, what kind of game is this? I don't think this was just a mistake and I believe we were mislead in hopes of hanging onto the possibility of a sale.

Maybe the game is you are playing in a game you are not that familiar with. As a seller, cash meant little to me other then maybe we can close fast and that assumes I wanted a fast close.

If you think cash would get me to bend over and grab my ankles, you have another thought coming.

In my last sale the cash offers were insultingly low and they assumed I was ready to bend over. I blew the offers away by telling my agent to tell them to go have sex with themselves. I never responded in writing. She said I should respond with a counter offer. I said my counter offer was to tell them to go have sex with themselves and a relative.

In my last two new home buys, I was a cash buyer and the most it did was assure they stayed on schedule to deliver as promised as there were cash payments along the way.

The market is shifting folks. The times they are a'changing. Do nor assume as a buyer, you are in control anymore. Not that it is a sellers market, but it is more of a fair market for buyer and seller then it has been for the last few years.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,987,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The basic gist is that they didn't trust the agent. I mean that really is the bottom line here.

A consumer stated on here that their agent did the same thing and showed them a higher priced home but negotiated it down to their price range. That's what happens when you trust that you have a good agent on your side. I have personally done that for my own clients.

The OP's agent could be great or they could be slimy. Hard to tell but it doesn't matter because the consumer doesn't trust the agent and that is all that matters.
I think it matters a great deal if they were never shown that first house they asked to see. If not, why?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM

9,559 posts, read 13,200,449 times
Quote:
I think it matters a great deal if they were never shown that first house they asked to see. If not, why?

OP said: "We asked to see a house that was close in price to what we were going to pay out for a house but we weren't sure about it so the realtor suggested another property that was higher."

We don't know how much higher either and we don't know why they weren't sure about it. Rather than continue to flog this dead horse, it seems all the advice points to these buyers getting another agent and getting a buyers' agent. Maybe they don't trust agents in general. We only know one side of this saga.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
QuilterChick answered this. I would agree that if the agent just blew off their request, but since the OP sounded like they weren't sure about the first house and the agent suggested a second house, I just don't see that as being unethical.

The OP just needs to find a buyer agent they trust and work with one person.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,987,875 times
Oh I see. The internet police have spoken and I'm not allowed to ask my question. Please let me know if I get out of line again. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM

19,190 posts, read 13,184,000 times
OK, we did see the first house and the agent brought a sheet on another one, higher priced but indicated they would probably take what we had to spend so we went to look at it. We ONLY offered the lower amount because the agent had said that it would be a possibility and it was ALL THE MONEY we had to offer and the agent KNEW it. Some how, the BIG thing being missed here is that we told the agent EXACTLY what we could spend before we even met him to view the 1st property. I don't know, the listing on the property we made the offer on expires on 30 October so maybe the agency just wanted the seller to think they were trying to sell the house by taking us there? In the message that I left the realtor when I called to cancel the appointment, I told him to tell the seller that we were sorry to have made a lower than acceptable offer and that the property may be worth more (not according to stats though) but we only had a set amount of money to spend. I don't see why I am in the wrong for offering the lower than acceptable price because I was only acting on what the realtor said.

So, I guess in a world where "everyone lies", they thought I was bluffing about how much money we had to spend? Thought I could go reap another basketful from my money tree?

I thank everyone for their opinions and advice but I still don't see why they tried to shake us down for more cash than we said we could spend and while I realize that is "salesmanship", I felt betrayed since I had exclaimed "That amount, not as a down payment, that amount to cover the deal." and he claimed he understood.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
OK, we did see the first house and the agent brought a sheet on another one, higher priced but indicated they would probably take what we had to spend so we went to look at it. We ONLY offered the lower amount because the agent had said that it would be a possibility and it was ALL THE MONEY we had to offer and the agent KNEW it. Some how, the BIG thing being missed here is that we told the agent EXACTLY what we could spend before we even met him to view the 1st property. I don't know, the listing on the property we made the offer on expires on 30 October so maybe the agency just wanted the seller to think they were trying to sell the house by taking us there? In the message that I left the realtor when I called to cancel the appointment, I told him to tell the seller that we were sorry to have made a lower than acceptable offer and that the property may be worth more (not according to stats though) but we only had a set amount of money to spend. I don't see why I am in the wrong for offering the lower than acceptable price because I was only acting on what the realtor said.

So, I guess in a world where "everyone lies", they thought I was bluffing about how much money we had to spend? Thought I could go reap another basketful from my money tree?

I thank everyone for their opinions and advice but I still don't see why they tried to shake us down for more cash than we said we could spend and while I realize that is "salesmanship", I felt betrayed since I had exclaimed "That amount, not as a down payment, that amount to cover the deal." and he claimed he understood.
Honestly I don't get it. The agent thought the other property was overpriced and that they could get them down to what YOU wanted to spend. I think the agent's mistake was in starting a verbal offer. They should have waited until you submitted a written offer, but sometimes sellers are just unrealistic. It sounds like you and "your" agent know the house is overpriced but the seller isn't getting it. Is the agent saying to you "can you come up in price?" What is the agent doing that is making you believe that they are trying to get you to come up with more money?

Old 10-20-2012, 05:47 PM

19,190 posts, read 13,184,000 times
The agent called to give the verbal counter-offer that the seller made and asked if we had a counter on that and this is when I was expecting a call about going to sign the offer/earnest money. They jump started the process. I do know that sometimes, the realtor does know what the bottom line is especially when the seller is "motivated". We had no idea what the situation was with the seller.

I do think that the agency believes the house is overpriced. Am betting the seller wasn't happy because he is getting no offers and now probably not happy about the offer he got although, it truly was a fair offer in this market and for the house. I feel they might have done better to discuss our situation with the seller if he were anxious to sell and see if the deal might appeal to him (and whatever situation he has) before showing the house because now they have a prospective buyer walking and probably the seller will be following us.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 PM

4,511 posts, read 11,239,495 times
Quote:
The agent called to give the verbal counter-offer that the seller made and asked if we had a counter on that and this is when I was expecting a call about going to sign the offer/earnest money. ...
The agent is obligated to present the seller's counter to you and ask what you want to do. Your counter could have just been the same offer you originally gave, take it or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or