U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
21,575 posts, read 20,591,183 times

Advertisements

Good for you Beo, I know you were having second thoughts about it with the cost and all, I'm glad it turned out ok for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,698,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Last fall, I placed an offer on a brand new house and it was accepted by the builder. So I hired a home inspector and had the property checked out. Several minor issues were found, but nothing major. The house came with a 1-year "bumper to bumper" warranty as most if not all new homes do.

Fast forward almost 10+ months and my warranty is about to expire. Is it worthwhile to have my home reinspected, in case he finds any new issues that didn't manifest themselves during the first inspection? Or would that just be a waste of money? Over the past 10+ months, I found several minor things that the home builder fixed. Now, everything looks good, but I'd like advice from those who were in a similar position as I am. Thanks!

BTW, I'm also getting some junk mail from various home inspectors who know my home warranty is about to expire, so that is making me a little more paranoid than I should be.
better safe than sorry

arent there some inspectors that will extend a warranty if everything checks out ok?

I really don't know i am just asking

Old 11-07-2007, 09:15 PM

5,412 posts, read 13,847,850 times
Thanks, jimj and dncgrl. This is technically the 4th home inspection I've paid for in my life, and I've only bought 1 house! I had 2 prior deals go bad before closing (due to what I found on home inspection) and now I had 2 home inspections done on my current house. I hope I'm done w/ home inspections for a while!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:31 AM

5,412 posts, read 13,847,850 times
Just to give a quick update, I had the 2nd home inspection performed and submitted my findings to my builder. He (the warranty customer service rep.) agreed w/ most of the findings and addressed them in a somewhat timely manner. Now that my warranty is over, I'm on my own. But I'm glad I got those issues resolved, some of which I knew about and a couple of which I didn't prior to the 2nd home inspection. Thanks again for everyone's input. Happy New Year!

Old 05-23-2017, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 287 times
We built a new home and closed on it without them doing the finishing touches, like cabinets missing. School was starting and we needed to move in a hurry, my mistake. They promised to finish everything. Needless to say 9 months later and nothing has been done. We have provided them a list of cosmetic issues. Would an inspection report help? Are they still obligated to fix the issues after the year warranty?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
21,575 posts, read 20,591,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryjean View Post
We built a new home and closed on it without them doing the finishing touches, like cabinets missing. School was starting and we needed to move in a hurry, my mistake. They promised to finish everything. Needless to say 9 months later and nothing has been done. We have provided them a list of cosmetic issues. Would an inspection report help? Are they still obligated to fix the issues after the year warranty?
Generally you have a year warranty unless your contract states something different (longer). Everything I've read has indicated that a one year implied warranty is standard in every state.
I would have an independent inspection prior to the end of that year and submit that list to the builder.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Status: "The list doesn’t destroy culture; it creates it" (set 5 days ago)

16,975 posts, read 8,839,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryjean View Post
Make sure you have given them notice in writing of the deficiencies - since they haven't been fixing them, I'd actually do a formal written letter sent return receipt. Since they are on notice, it should all be covered under the 1 year warranty, even if they are the ones who caused the delay. But you don't want them to be able to claim that they weren't on notice of the issues until after the year runs out.

For the general question, I thought about doing a 1 year inspection but just got busy and never got around to it. However, I had given my builder a list of fixes based on things I noticed at about the 8 month mark, and they came in and got them all take care of. Maybe I missed something that an inspector would have seen, but nothing that has come up so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or